Any valid reason why not to use a 40" 4K TV as PC monitor, cheaper than a 1440p 27-30" monitor?

• Thread starter Deleted member 13524
  • Start date
Yes, that LG screen is lovely. Though actually a curved version of that may even be better. But I had three screens available anyway and I am finding that surprisingly good for some games! (Racing is my favorite, and also my favorite genre overall so it's a big deal for me, but Far Cry 3 is surprisingly good too).

For the OP...

http://www.amazon.com/Crossover-Com...TF8&qid=1430035356&sr=1-2&keywords=4k+monitor

Is a pretty good monitor for general computing and gaming. I've been reading a thread on it over at OCUK. The biggest thing is that it doesn't use PWM (which can give some people eyestrain and headaches), has vibrant colors, and extremely low input lag for gaming. It also has really good blacks (compared to IPS panels). And if you don't mind buying through E-bay it occasionally shows up there for ~650 USD.

The drawbacks are that it isn't officially sold in the US, so warranty support might get wonky. And as such it ships from Korea, although the OCUK people that ordered through BizBuy (Amazon) got theirs amazingly quickly with expedited shipping. And that if you sit REALLY close to the monitor you'll see color shifting towards the edges (it's a VA panel).

It supposedly shares the same panel as the Phillips 40" 4K monitor that sells for ~999 USD on Amazon. But the Phillips monitor has PWM.

Really tempted to grab one. But there are rumors that the same company might be releasing an 40-42" 4K monitor using an AH-IPS panel sometime next month. But it's likely to cost 1000-1200 USD for an AH-IPS version. Argh.

Really been tempted to just buy it though after seeing only positive user comments on it at OCUK. Especially considering that some of the user comments are from people that are switching to this from 120-144 Hz gaming monitors.

Regards,
SB

@Arwin flight/spacesims rock too
ps:
Though actually a curved version of that may even be better
http://www.wsgf.org/news/video-review-lg-34uc97-ultra-wide-display

(Racing is my favorite, and also my favorite genre overall
09kcpmt.jpg

Last edited:
You need Fun Tracks in there! It's from '97, software rendered at the time, easy (a 3D game from top down view, space bar for turbo).
Nice for little lan races.. but you had to set up a networked game from the launcher for any single race.

75Hz is a great feature on such a monitor, my dream one could be a VA panel that goes up to 75Hz (even with no advanced sync technology)
You could even have 75Hz for desktop, games and PAL content, 72Hz for movies and 60Hz for 60fps video and NTSC (or 59.94 etc.) if micro-managing the refresh.

Back