AMD: Pirate Islands (R* 3** series) Speculation/Rumor Thread

depends on the water cooler. I have a corsair h60 with 2 120mm fans on the radiator with a 7950 and it makes less noise than any of the 970/980s I've played with and the 7950 needs much more cooling than the 970/80s

[emoji15][emoji15][emoji15][emoji15][emoji15]
Water cooler?? Holy shit. I guess I gotta wait for pascal.
Hybrid cooler, it's one possibility, not certain but it would keep the chip cool and be silent, though it would raise the price about $/€ 50 (+ whatever extra the retailer wants)
We know for a fact that there was watercooler shroud designed which would fit single chip card, but we don't know if it was designed for R9 290X or R9 3xx

Next Redeon supposedly spotted by Tom's Hardware at GDC powering the Oculus Rift demo.

"Just to be clear, I saw a demonstration of Showdown running on the Oculus Rift Crescent Bay, being powered by an unannounced Radeon R9 flagship ultra-enthusiast product. Those words, in their exactness, were told to me officially, as in on the record, by AMD."

Pics or it didn't happen :)

Lol... No pics but, well look like some peoples had see it. ( and some jurnalist said they had see more, but cant speak about it right now. ( nda ? )

http://www.tomshardware.com/news/amd-radeon-r9-oculus-rift,27298.html

http://www.tomshardware.com/news/amd-radeon-r9-oculus-rift,27298.html
(That preamble is for that portion of you who will say "no duh it exists," and that portion who would harangue us for not saying something early if we knew, regardless of the official or unofficial status of this news. For the portion of you who must know right now all of the details, the when, the what, the how much, the how fast, we will just have to wait. But I get the sense we won't have to wait too long.)

Just to be clear, I saw a demonstration of Showdown running on the Oculus Rift Crescent Bay, being powered by an unannounced Radeon R9 flagship ultra-enthusiast product. Those words, in their exactness, were told to me officially, as in on the record, by AMD.

Showdown is an immersive experience where a giant robot is wreaking havoc on a city, causing flying debris (at you, around you), a flying car with a person inside, and explosions in 360 degrees, among many pieces of action. I saw Showdown last at CES in early January, and then it wasn't running on this AMD hardware (so presumably Nvidia's). I obviously cannot recall the nuances of that demo earlier this year for precise comparison, but I can say that the performance of this demonstration was remarkably responsive. I tried everything I could to throw off head tracking and introduce latency and I could not, which is to say I didn't experience any latency. The environment is incredibly rich in texture, lighting and immersion. On the other hand, at this point the demonstration is relatively short.

Now more interesting is the last sentence, look like LiquidVr was maybe allready in action ?

this card has to be a game changer at this point. They are giving NVidia 8 months on the market with the 9x0 series by itself.

Its all rebrands anyways so it doesn't matter to people who actually want to buy cards below the 390x. I doubt anything will launch at the trade show because its way too busy and people will be focused on other things. They will likely launch earlier as a separate event. May to June are the most likely timing given how AMD said Q2 from the beginning.

And postponing the launch by 3 months to have a full lineup? Giving Nvidia free reign from the ultra high end to low? How does that make sense?
Last time I remember, when a "family launch" happened, it was the HD2000 series, I really hope this one'll be more competitive. :) That said, the delay might be caused by something that will look quite strange in retrospect.

Next Redeon supposedly spotted by Tom's Hardware at GDC powering the Oculus Rift demo.

"Just to be clear, I saw a demonstration of Showdown running on the Oculus Rift Crescent Bay, being powered by an unannounced Radeon R9 flagship ultra-enthusiast product. Those words, in their exactness, were told to me officially, as in on the record, by AMD."

The recent performance of AMD's marketing department leads me to believe that these words are meaningless, but if they weren't, it would suggest that they hope to beat GM200.

Computex is in June!
AMD is at an historical low marketshare (worse than anything from the past 10 years), a lot of the chips in their lineup is over 3 years old and they're going to postpone the launch of the new chips for another quarter?!

And the problem isn't just letting nVidia keep have Maxwell take the sales for a longer time. They're also letting Pascal come within 6 months of the Pirate Islands' launch.

Computex is in June!
AMD is at an historical low marketshare (worse than anything from the past 10 years), a lot of the chips in their lineup is over 3 years old and they're going to postpone the launch of the new chips for another quarter?!

And the problem isn't just letting nVidia keep have Maxwell take the sales for a longer time. They're also letting Pascal come within 6 months of the Pirate Islands' launch.

Just want to clarify, the kitguru article specifically mentions a "family line-up" doesn't mean cards can't launch before hand. There are also multiple sources stating that there aren't going to be many rebrands.

FYI- Pascal is likely 2H '16, so no, not within 6months.

During my meeting with AMD today I was told that inside that little PC sits the "upcoming flagship Radeon R9 graphics card" but, of course, no other information was given. The following is an estimated transcript of the event:

Ryan: Can I see it?

AMD: No.

Ryan: I can't even take the side panel off it?

Ryan. How can I know you're telling the truth then? Can I open up the driver or anything?

Ryan: GPU-Z? Anything?

Well, I tried.

:LOL:

http://www.pcper.com/news/Graphics-Cards/GDC-15-Upcoming-Flagship-AMD-Radeon-R9-GPU-Powering-VR-Demo

What bothers me a bit with the release schedule and approximate availability of this flagship product is that it may indicate that new lithographic technique may be further out into the future than I had assumed. I don't know how long the 390 needs to be on the market in a flagship capacity to be meaningful, though. Maybe not all that long.
But if AMD wants to compete at all for laptop or Apple contracts, they need to provide good performance/watt and staying around on 28nm won't do when they are competing with Skylake and nVidia. On the other hand, it is clearly a flagship desktop product, so maybe it doesn't say much about when AMD will move other product segments to lower power process technology.

Back