The Order: 1886

I'd say small sites are more likely to rate high out of thanks for Sony throwing their insignificant asses a bone with an early copy. Great way to make fanboys regulars of your site too.

Would work the same for MS and Nintendo too.

Check out theverge's review for a surprisingly different take on the game:

http://www.theverge.com/2015/2/19/8062515/order-1886-playstation-4-review

That's kind of an odd review. I can agree with his point that a linear game can be far less intimidating, and sometimes it's great to just play something straightforward and simplistic. Beyond that, he really doesn't praise much about the game besides the visuals, except maybe the quality of the cutscenes. So basically, if you like a simple game with high quality cutscenes and average shooting, you'll like this game. That's basically what this review says.

That's kind of an odd review. I can agree with his point that a linear game can be far less intimidating, and sometimes it's great to just play something straightforward and simplistic. Beyond that, he really doesn't praise much about the game besides the visuals, except maybe the quality of the cutscenes. So basically, if you like a simple game with high quality cutscenes and average shooting, you'll like this game. That's basically what this review says.
Seems appropriate:
B97DDvlIcAAs8EB.jpg

So they made the story as a 'ground' for the order 1886-2?
I hate this, to the point I won't buy a game until the story is finished. As quite often, it isn't, and potentially, very likely, they are following the Hollywood model of making shit up as they go along until people stop buying into it and then let it slide. A story-driven game (or experience) needs to have a story with a conclusion. Anything less is defective goods, quite frankly.

The sequel isn't in 1886 apparently.

They should make one in 1986, steam punk london with 80s music, hair sex, aids and pump up the jam (ok 1989)

The reviews for this game is not surprisingly all over the place. This is another one of those, if you are into it you will love it, if not you are wasting money.

The reviews for this game is not surprisingly all over the place. This is another one of those, if you are into it you will love it, if not you are wasting money.
Yes, the bell curve looks as natural as you would expect. By all accounts, the medium review show this game to have been received as average. Using this as a base, those who like a well trodden single path game with cinematic and lots of story, think it's pretty good. Those who dislike that things these characteristic thinks it's pretty poor.

But even the story is being criticised as not ending, which is the reward of a good story. It should be a stand-alone story that completes, with an optional extension to a sequel if the game is well received. As it is, the sequel may never happen and story never get resolved if sales are poor, leaving owners of 1886 with a very pretty unfinished story. Sales are bound to be low because second hand is going to be extremely available - short play time and no replayability, buy, play, sell. One disc could change hands a dozen times a month.

But even the story is being criticised as not ending, which is the reward of a good story. It should be a stand-alone story that completes, with an optional extension to a sequel if the game is well received. As it is, the sequel may never happen and story never get resolved if sales are poor, leaving owners of 1886 with a very pretty unfinished story. Sales are bound to be low because second hand is going to be extremely available - short play time and no replayability, buy, play, sell. One disc could change hands a dozen times a month.
Why do you say this? Resale is $5 less, that's hardly going to sway buyers.

But even the story is being criticised as not ending, which is the reward of a good story.
People like different things. I prefer a game to have a story that gets wrapped up at the end of the game. For me good examples of this are the GTA games, the Uncharted games, The Last of Us, Read Dead Redemption and Infamous games. Whereas I found Half-Life and Half-Life 2 quite annoying as lots of threads were left hanging with no explanation. No doubt there are those who like some uncertainly or mystery to the story, or those are just aren't that fussed if there's a conclusion at all. For those, the story aspect isn't an issue.

I want to see a big discussion between the guy who rated it 20 and the guy who rated it 95, preferably in a ring, with gloves :yes:

If there's a small story that ends and the rest opens a grand arc for the series, I'm fine with that.

I hope that RAD takes the critique serious and gives us an improved sequel.
Ditto. I've not played the game but from what spoiler-free information I've read and screenshots and movies I've seen, this looks an incredibly interesting alternative history with tons of potential. I'd like a campaign length like The Last of Us with an interesting story to support it. Plus modern shooter mechanics.

Why do you say this? Resale is $5 less, that's hardly going to sway buyers.
Because you can sell it. Whatever you buy it for, sell it on for $5 less, good as new, no loss of Online Pass or anything. Next owner buys it for $55, plays it, sells it on for $50. The cost to play is going to be whatever the devaluation is, not the asking price. And as the price drops over time, more people can take a ganders at a budget price. Do you want to play TO? Yes? Do you want to spend $60 on it? No? There'll be second hand copies available over the weekend and many more after that with competitive pricing.

The problem with doing what the critics say is that it leads to "I love playing Gran Turismo, so they should make the sequel a racing game."

It's a slippery slope!:runaway:

RAD created very good GOW games with superb gameplay. There is no doubt they know how to make good games.

Their vision was to creat this cinematic experience to present the universe they have created. It seems that it didn't have the impact on people as they liked.

So, RAD should keep what is good about the game, throw away the bad stuff and make a stellar sequel!

How about a GOW type gameplay set in The Order universe.

The GOW games and the first Lords of Shadows showed how good those games fit for stories!

Btw, congrats MJP and RAD tec&art team for one of the finest looking games ever made. This is the only constant in all the reviews: everyone calls it the best looking game to date.

I admit, this alone is sufficient to make me excited :)

Back