The Order: 1886

It's even worse...

The actual big boss simply gets away and so the final enemy is basically just a henchman.
And there are another 3-4 main story threads without not just a conclusion but even a mention at all.

Seems like an obvious attempt to build up for a sequel, I guess.
Wonder what their contract is like with Sony.

Don't get me started on Destiny... oh god. I'll take Order's story that I've never read or even know about, and I know already it's a better story than Destiny + 3 DLC combined

They're polar opposite games; one is all story no game and the other is all game and no story.

I don't know. A lot of the reviews say it's boring with little gameplay, a poorly written story and mostly bland weapons with the exception of the few times you get to use the thermite or lightning guns. I'm actually not reading a lot of complaints about it being linear, or short. The complaints are that you mostly spend time watching cutscenes, or walking slowly from A to B, and that there is very little excitement along the way. Storytelling seems to be an issue as well.

Several reviews mention taking about 7 or 8 hours to finish the game, but more than half of that is not combat. It's cutscenes, the odd quicktime event and slow walking.

You read a lot of reviews for a game on a console you don't own? Your dedication is admirable! I've hardly ever read any reviews for any game, even the ones I buy!

They're polar opposite games; one is all story no game and the other is all game and no story.
Pretty quick drive by there, seems like you didn't have enough time to write out why you couldn't write out what you really wanted to say.

It ranges from 20% to 95% right now, the spread is awesome :LOL:

The play time from reviews is also a wide range, it's anywhere from 7h to 12h, with caveats.

Destructoid gave a bad review and said the game is 7 hours.

ShackNews gave a good review and said the game is 10 hours.

Canadian Online Gamers gave a very good review and said they finished it in 12 hours. And interestingly he said "I’ll admit right away that I am a very slow and methodical player who never misses an opportunity to explore every inch of a room".

The time a player takes to play the game is rising proportionally with the review score.:runaway:

I agree wholeheartedly with the comments from Eurogamer (or was it IGN?) saying that this game, like the biggest exclusives on PS4 so far such as KZ and ISS lack characterisation. They just don't have the heart that Nathan Drake and others had. Hopefully this is something that will be fixed as the generation goes on. It all feels a bit hollow to me, and I see 1886 is no different.

LBP and Uncharted aside (which is incredibly derivative as well, but also very charming), I think that's been a problem with post PS2 Sony exclusives in general. Sly has been replaced by Cole McBland, who himself got replaced by a generation maybe hipster with a beanie. Team Ico hasn't done a single thing in a decade. Killzone has never quite managed to shake the stigma of a me-too shooter designed first and foremost as a corporate counter measure. And even though I really do like Driveclub, it really took me a while to look past its clinical blandness-meets designed-by-committee social hooks personality. Certainly has none of the effortless cool of Wipeout (probably gone for good as well now) or the whimsical brashness of Motorstorm.

Pretty quick drive by there, seems like you didn't have enough time to write out why you couldn't write out what you really wanted to say.

Sorry, in my mind it made perfect sense!

Destiny is one of those games that barely has a story and is all about the play and the Order: 1886 has quite a lot of story and not much in the way of an actual game.

I'm tempted to buy it in a weird way of justifying the purchase of a PS4 - "Just look at those graphics. Couldn't do that before!". I suspect my opinion will be as low as the majority anyway.

The time a player takes to play the game is rising proportionally with the review score.:runaway:

It seems like the higher profile the site is the lower the score they are obliged to provide. I guess they're running scared of the internet trolls that have been lambasting the game since before it was even conceived...

Sorry, in my mind it made perfect sense!

Destiny is one of those games that barely has a story and is all about the play and the Order: 1886 has quite a lot of story and not much in the way of an actual game.

I'm tempted to buy it in a weird way of justifying the purchase of a PS4 - "Just look at those graphics. Couldn't do that before!". I suspect my opinion will be as low as the majority anyway.
haha nah, you did fine. I was poking fun at Destiny there with my comment. You are exactly correct.

edit: lol dammit. I can't put in 'time' into the movie. 15:06 @ThePissartist

Canadian Online Gamers gave a very good review and said they finished it in 12 hours. And interestingly he said "I’ll admit right away that I am a very slow and methodical player who never misses an opportunity to explore every inch of a room".
This is also me - I'm an avid explorer and scavenger but the detractors for me are
  • the aspect ratio (which I think I would tolerate rather than enjoy because it added to the cinematic quality)
  • the frequent interspersement of video into gameplay (which is a pet peeve)
  • the pacing (based on reviews I've read)
  • the lack of developing gameplay (no new abilities, no weapon levelling or advancement)
  • not being able to skip cutscenes (which would destroy replayability for me)
  • what seems like a lack motivation to replay - I have replayed Uncharteds and The Last of Us so many times because the basic gameplay feels super satisfying.
Like Assassin's Creed Unity, I'm sure I'll pick this up when it hits bargain basements, just to experience the environment, atmosphere and graphics.

It seems like the higher profile the site is the lower the score they are obliged to provide. I guess they're running scared of the internet trolls that have been lambasting the game since before it was even conceived...

Gaming sites have lambasted the game long before the forum warriors chimed in. I'm actually a bit surprised they had the courage to put their money where their mouths are for a change.

I like how less than a third of that article actually has anything to do with performance. If they reviewed their own articles they'd score this one even lower than the game itself!
Yeah, I really wish they'd stick to the technical stuff and leave the reviews to actual reviewers. It adds nothing and just pads things out :runaway:

Padded content in DF articles nowadays...
Hopefully the in-depth interview later on will have actual technical details about the game's development and it's rendering techniques.

I don't think there's any dishonesty. The reviewers and readership symbiosis of the biggest conglomerates follow a certain group-think. Many of them hate QTE and cinematics, so to me, there's zero surprise about the spread of review scores, nor which publications have staff reviewers who started very early on that bandwagon. I did set that expectation very early in this thread.

The suspense is killing me, I can't wait to play it and see what all the fuss is about. I expect an average game, but hey, I really loved Knack and it has 54 on metacritic, so anything is possible.

I think we'll have a lot of this: The reviewers who disagree with my opinions are biased or shills, the reviewers who agree are honest and professional. :yep2:

I was never overly fused about this game anyway, but I can't wait to see it in action (yes, I'm a gfx whore!) - I managed to get a promo copy so it's no biggie, I'd probably have waited for a bargain bucket price before biting. I think maybe this will be the foundation, if it sells well (enough to produce a sequel) hopefully they will listen to the feedback and improve things for the next game.

I don't think there's any dishonesty. The reviewers and readership symbiosis of the biggest conglomerates follow a certain group-think. Many of them hate QTE and cinematics, so to me, there's zero surprise about the spread of review scores, nor which publications have staff reviewers who started very early on that bandwagon. I did set that expectation very early in this thread.

The suspense is killing me, I can't wait to play it and see what all the fuss is about. I expect an average game, but hey, I really loved Knack and it has 54 on metacritic, so anything is possible.

I think we'll have a lot of this: The reviewers who disagree with my opinions are biased or shills, the reviewers who agree are honest and professional. :yep2:

I never meant to imply dishonesty in the reviews it just appears that there is a correlation between the profile of the media outlet and the review they delivered.

The reviews are inconsequential to my purchase decisions anyway, I much prefer to see players feedback and use that as a metric for such things. And since the majority of these have been very positive I am feeling pretty stoked for tomorrow!

Back