*split* multiplatform console-world problems + Image Quality Debate

No because I noticed the difference (clearly) despite being under the impression both were running at the same resolution.

If all it takes is a false impression to cause you (I hold much greater respect for you then the general public when it comes to parsing out visual differences) to mistake upscaling for a less robust AA solution, then I question how noticeable upscaling will be to the general market where references images or comparisons aren't readily used or undertaken.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm not sure it matters what I attributed the lower image quality too, I think its more important that I could see the difference in image quality in the first place even when under the impression that both were running at the same resolution. Incidentally it was the much greater aliasing I noticed on the PS4 version as opposed to overall image sharpness/clarity. But then again I did watch the 1080p YT video on my 1280x1024 laptop screen. A high bit rate (not YT) direct feed video on a native 1080p display would likely have made the overall image sharpness/clarity more of a factor.

CoD: Ghost (PS4)

Before patch

tumblr_mwd6xostM91s4jc2do1_1280.jpg

After patch

tumblr_mwd6xostM91s4jc2do2_1280.jpg

Well, showing a 2.25 times resolution difference with the same 720p resolution on both screeshots is not ideal I think.

Well, showing a 2.25 times resolution difference with the same 720p resolution on both screeshots is not ideal I think.
You can still see the difference pretty clearly on the above compressed 720p images. If you have a browser such as Chrome or FF, you can open them in tabs and flip between them by holding Ctrl + the number that corresponds with the tab. At least I think you can do this in FF.. I've switched to Chrome a while ago.

Curious how there is still a visual difference.

It's quite obvious after patch the entire screen cleared up.
Scaling an image with more detail down to the size of a native image will usually result in a better looking picture, unless a very poor scaling algorithm is used.

The 720p image exhibits a mild (~0.75 pixel gaussian, similar to Ryse) blur. Downscaling a 108p image with the same blur would nullify it quite well, but I'm seeing blur-free pixels. I'm wondering if the patch also removes the blurring, whatever was cuasing it? As ever, we really should reference clean source images rather than in-betweens.

The 720p image exhibits a mild (~0.75 pixel gaussian, similar to Ryse) blur. Downscaling a 108p image with the same blur would nullify it quite well, but I'm seeing blur-free pixels. I'm wondering if the patch also removes the blurring, whatever was cuasing it? As ever, we really should reference clean source images rather than in-betweens.

Well, if somebody by accident clicked the "master game single player at 720p"-button, before creating the master blu-ray disc, how big are the chances that somebody accidentally clicked "master game single player with gaussian blur" as well?

Did they ever give an official explanation for it?

I kind of like the blurred 720P image though, it appears less aliased.

that looks more than just going from 900p -> 1080p. It even looks more than 720p -> 1080p :)
It looks like the lower res shot has something dodgy going on, bad blur

^ Its probably baked into their upscaling tech, as its been in every One game we've seen so far.

I don't like it.

Yes. At first, on a compressed video I really liked the apparent detail increase on the upscaled sharpened image vs even 1080p native. Like a lot of people I have been genuinely impressed by it.

But on a native res like on those screenshots it looks horrible. The sharpening effect in fact changes details of the assets. Stuff are grainy and different. grass is different. Some noise is added and some details are removed.

Artistically it's awfull and doesn't respect at all the image wanted by the developers.

But I guess from a distance and on an average and small TV the sharpening effect has some advantages versus non-sharpened. But beware when playing COD Ghosts X1 on a high end big TV!!

By the way, what is the AA used in COD Ghosts? Is there even any AA? We can see some edges on the barrier near the STOP sign. If it is FXAA, it is verly light I reckon.

They seem to be from Neogaf, so, maybe we can directly ask the person who made it.

EDIT:

PS4:
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BZgBVp7IQAAXQBg.jpg:eek:rig

Man, that AA, such clean IQ ! I am going to get it on the ps4, even though I am not liking the game on my ps3. THe framerate is one of the problems on the ps3, though, which will get removed on PS4.Would like to see if the game gets fun after that.

^ Its probably baked into their upscaling tech, as its been in every One game we've seen so far.

I don't like it.

That sharpening is really sad thing :( It really makes image to appear even lower res.. why dont they leave that kind of extra sharpening for player's to care, almost all tv's have very functional and adjustable sharpening control if you wish to use it.

How is the sharpening filter going to look on TVs that provide another sharpening filter on top? 'Coz we're all looking at this on our monitors and tablets I guess, whereas Joe Xbox is going to be using his TV with whatever post processing that does.

Back