Major League Gaming choose XB1 for COD:Ghosts *spawn

That would be a rather awkward situation for developers of cross platform titles if Microsoft offers the ability to have dedicated servers hosted by them for all games though "the cloud", but Sony doesn't.

Do we even know if Sony is offering something similar or if it's entirely up to the developers to roll their own solution to multiplayer?

Regards,
SB

Hope this is not too OT, but MLG for COD: Ghosts will be on X1 likely due to dedicated servers. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kWh0xNK1jxI#t=17

I would think dedicated servers would be one of the deciding factors on how a dev may approach a mp game. Maybe x1 will be the lead console for online heavy or only games.

Where does it said or even hinting that they choose X1 because of the servers? Is the PS4 version not using dedicated server?

I'd be really surprised if the Xbox One version had dedicated servers, but the PS4 version didn't.

I'm just wondering if Sony are providing the framework for dedicated hosting or if the developers have to roll their own solution.

And I guess if Sony aren't providing it, that might prove a tough choice for some developers as dedicated hosting is obviously more expensive than P2P for online multiplayer. So it's possible that if Sony aren't assisting in that, then some cross platform titles may chose P2P on PS4 and dedicated on Xbox One. That would still seem odd though.

COD does well enough that Activision would be foolish not to foot the cost of it for PS4, even if it was more expensive to implement for PS4 users.

Regards,
SB

They could roll their own or possibly host it on the MS Cloud, I believe.

Where does it said or even hinting that they choose X1 because of the servers? Is the PS4 version not using dedicated server?

They didn't give exactly the reason(s) why X1 is the console of choice for COD MLG. Maybe because players are used to the controller layout is another possible reason.

There isn't a reason IMO why PS4 version can't have dedicated servers either.

Sony has dedicated server support . The ps3 had it in mag that 256 player game and I think one of the resitance games had it at least.

Sony isn't giving it away free like MS however from my understanding. MS give it free if you provide exlusive dlc of some type (or even exclusive window).

Actually it's unknown if sony has dedicated servers for this game.
It's not if the PS4 as a platform can support dedicated servers or not, sure it can.

MS from the start has been cloud cloud cloud, and people may have laughed at them, but this is just an aspect of it.

It's mainly about business viability of using dedicated servers.
I think that is why there's been mixed answers from studios about how much it's costing them. People seem confused, and can't make what each studio says match each other. It's almost like they hadn't considered that their isn't a single price and that maybe MS gives different games, different pricing structures dependent on many factors.

Will ps4 get dedicated servers for this game, probably, but it may have been a harder decision than we believe. Not just well if XB1 has it, then PS4 will also.
Even if it didn't on the PS4, the chances are people will still buy it (and enjoy it) anyway.

Sony has dedicated server support . The ps3 had it in mag that 256 player game and I think one of the resitance games had it at least.

Sony isn't giving it away free like MS however from my understanding. MS give it free if you provide exlusive dlc of some type (or even exclusive window).

Is not the same to support dedicated servers for some games (like Mag) than to have a full structure of servers for the full gaming platform.

Is not the same to support dedicated servers for some games (like Mag) than to have a full structure of servers for the full gaming platform.

I think Ms having the cability is just a side affect of azure. Busniesses wont need all that power all the time. Sony doesn't have something like that to make up the costs of the hardware.

Will be interesting to see.

Conjecture. The only data point we have is that even an exclusive like Titainfall has to pay for the servers if they want to use the cloud.

Doubtful the MLG's decision has anything to do with servers. It's probably being sponsored by MS, or they decided the controller would be more familiar to people on the circuit.

Conjecture. The only data point we have is that even an exclusive like Titainfall has to pay for the servers if they want to use the cloud.

But I guess that the price will be ridiculously low, Peter Rubin from wired:

“Microsoft is subsidizing cloud utility for developers—essentially, it will cost developers nothing to build on/access the Azure platform. So while I don’t believe it’s mandatory for a title to offer dedicated servers, there wouldn’t be any investment on the dev side to do so, which means… Yup, dedicated servers for everything. (Certainly for marquee MP experiences like BF3/4, COD, Titanfall, Destiny, etc). This is a huge part of why “persistent online world” was such a buzzphrase at E3 this year.”

And some words from Respawn:

Running hundreds of thousands of servers can be extremely expensive. EXTREMELY expensive. Like “oh my god we can’t afford that” expensive. So your player experience gets compromised to save (large amounts of) money.

But it costs a LOT of money.

With the Xbox Live Cloud, we don’t have to worry about estimating how many servers we’ll need on launch day. We don’t have to find ISPs all over the globe and rent servers from each one. We don’t have to maintain the servers or copy new builds to every server. That lets us focus on things that make our game more fun. And best yet, Microsoft has datacenters all over the world, so everyone playing our game should have a consistent, low latency connection to their local datacenter.

Most importantly to us, Microsoft priced it so that it’s far more affordable than other hosting options – their goal here is to get more awesome games, not to nickel-and-dime developers. So because of this, dedicated servers are much more of a realistic option for developers who don’t want to make compromises on their player experience, and it opens up a lot more things that we can do in an online game.

And it looks like the Xbox One version will be the only one with dedicated servers.

For Titainfall? They've already confirmed dedicated servers for PC.

And Wired is just wrong. We know for a fact it costs money. They misunderstood what it meant when MS said they "provide a cloud platform". MS created a standard environment, but it isn't free.

Obviously using the MS developed framework is cheaper than building your own cloud network, but who knows how much cheaper than contracting with Amazon or Rackspace. Big publishers, at least, should be able to negotiate decent deals that cover all their titles, or Sony could negotiate bulk rates for everyone.

It was posted on Rackspace' website. Said that they will be powering Sony's popular PS4 games at launch, and something about them talking more about it in November. So instead of coming up with their own cloud technology, they went with a reputable third-party company, which makes sense.

I thought MS's insistence on devs using Azure was the big Achilles heel in their networking plan. Because they don't support cross platform gaming and that's what drove a lot of third party games to being PS4 like Warframe?

But I guess most big American cloud platforms are going to start having a lot of free capacity in the wake of the Snowden leaks?

I thought MS's insistence on devs using Azure was the big Achilles heel in their networking plan. Because they don't support cross platform gaming and that's what drove a lot of third party games to being PS4 like Warframe?
Are Microsoft actually insisting debs use Azure or cloud/server for Xbox One? I was under the impressive that Microsoft were heavily subsidising Azure for Xbox One devs, but that the decision on which server/service to use was up to the dev.

But I guess most big American cloud platforms are going to start having a lot of free capacity in the wake of the Snowden leaks?

Can't you run linux on azure or does azure has an different programming API?

You can do cross platform with Azure. But some developers might not want to port their server code to Azure/Windows.

Back