Is 60fps the new thing for next-gen?

I think Ryse is 720p. If you go to MS youtube site you will notice that most games have 1080p vid but Ryse is not one of them.

Probably 2 main reasons.

The multiplayer success of CoD. Even if person don't even know what 60 fps mean, they can feel it once they play the game. They might even say that they don't "notice" any visual difference between 30 and 60 fps and yet somehow CoD just feels bit better then the rest of similar multiplayer games.

Second reason is probably the fact that most games are still developed for the last gen consoles. Thus easiest way to mark a buck is quick and dirty port... PC style. Add higher resolution textures, 1080p and 60 fps.

For PC gamers like me it would be better if developers would start to target 720p and 30 fps as soon as possible. Then we can enjoy quick and dirty ports with 120 fps and 4k when the generation is nearly over :)

I've told you all several times :)

Almost all the leading engines were already feature complete on PS3/X360, but hardware limitations have held the image quality back. Now with the new systems, these limitations are removed and suddenly everything looks a lot better - without any new features.

Also, the engines were already close to completion, so there isn't much to add. The only difference between realtime and offline is that games have to use approximations, donwscaled versions and fake replacements for most of the stuff, with practically no AA.

For now by far the biggest improvements seem to come from (in about this order):

- better lighting
- far better textures
- physics effects (which also show up graphically)
- animations

Infamous 2 was never a bad looker, but Second Son looks quite amazingly much better, imho.

It's very reasonable indeed that since the base for their code has to cater for the current-gen, it'll be much easier to target 60fps. But I hope the 60fps sticks around, while they still manage better visuals.

Officially confirmed 60fps games aside - a number of demos were ran off PCs as well, so the featureset/fps of those may or may not translate to final products.

The majority of the games will still be 1080p @ 30FPS.

Just like every console generation, frame rate stays the same, and the resolution is increased.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'd take that over 1080p 30fps. As long as there's good AA.

Same here. Benefits of resolution is view distance / display size dependent and the IQ gains are limited at a distance, I can't say the same for 60fps.

Lets not forget that almost all Nintendo games are 60 FPS (since GameCube) :LOL:

Anyway I really hope for 60 FPS, much more than 1080p, if they can get this looks at 60FPS I hope they never ever sacrifice fremerate for better visuals again!!!

As sebbbi has explained, 60 fps is very much a CPU question, have all game logic execute on time.
Yes, many last generation console games were CPU bound. Those simple in-order PPC cores were quite bad for general purpose game logic code (AI, script execution, flash based UI, etc). I read some driving game post mortem (Forza maybe?), and they used 1/3 of CPU cores just for audio processing. It was hard to find enough free CPU cycles to push 60 frames per second on last generation consoles (every rendered frame needs scene setup, animation update, visibility determination, and lots of draw calls / GPU state setup among other things). Basically 60 fps requires almost double CPU cycles compared to 30 fps. It's not only a GPU cost. On PC you barely notice the CPU cost, because the modern PC CPUs are overpowered compared to the 7 year old console CPUs.

We have been always pushing 60 fps gaming. It's good to see so many developers targeting 60 fps now.

I read some driving game post mortem (Forza maybe?), and they used 1/3 of CPU cores just for audio processing.

I do recall Halo Reach utilizing 50-80% of one thread... Realtime Worlds said they budgeted 10% CPU time for Crackdown 2 (I assume that's 10% of 33ms* 5 or 6 threads, so roughly the same). Can't remember where the Forza number came from.

That are probably the reasons why the new consoles have audio DSP, qualitity sound is quite intensive even on modern and powerfull CPUs, certainly it will help on getting 60 FPS.

That's good news to me ERP. More 60fps console gaming is what I've always wanted coming out of the DC/PS2/GC/XBOX generation. The previous generation was too much 30fps/sub 30fps.

To be fair, Assassin's Creed 3 on Xbox ran with a unlocked framerate. Some parts of the game was near 50fps... Which was jarring regarding controller response.
I don't know what I will first notice, all I know is that we are going to experience and see...2x the polygons, 2x the pixels, 2x the framerate, 2.5x the resolution... and when you take into account these consoles are 10x more powerful is certainly doable. Easy as pie.

Of course there will be like 1000x the particles -sparks and smoke-, and better shadows.

This is a good example of how many sparks -and even much more than that- the new consoles can process hands down in real time. :oops: A big leap if you ask me:

http://i.minus.com/i1tsiPxANDaJN.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
I think the majority here also know about it, but:

Why hasn't this taken off?:
http://and.intercon.ru/releases/talks/rtfrucvg/

It's basically, frame up-scaling, a post-process where intermediary frames are generated, to my surprise, without added latency.

This is the work of Dmitry "AND" Andreev, when he was at LucasArts, the code never made it into a final game, now LucasArts is gone he seems to be working at Microsoft. However, I strongly urge you to download the example videos. The results seem to be outstanding.

The technique trades in motion-blur for upscaling, so if a game uses motion blur, this basically comes free, and it manages to work under 2ms on old gen consoles!

It has the potential to interpolate reflections, for example. People have noticed 30fps reflections on Forza5 60fps videos. Using this technique, they still could render the game at 60fps with low input latency, and interpolate the 30fps reflection map to work at 60fps. The technique even does 15fps -> 60fps conversions and it works good for camera pans and rotation and camera motion, so it could really aid in increasing game's performance as those extra effects do not need to match the game's native frame rate.

One future possible use he mentioned was to render environment at 30 or 15fps, decoupled from on screen characters for example.

So this technique, while it doesn't provide the low input latency of 60fps, it doesn't add further latency (I'm still trying to get my head around it), could provide 60fps smooth motion with 30fps visuals. It could provide visual consistency for lower refresh rate effects on 60fps native games (like the reflections in Forza).. I'm quite sad this didn't take off, and it'd be nice to hear your thoughts.

It's in most TVs and results are not often great, plus it introduces more display lag. It might work better on stronger hardware and cleaner game content.

It's in most TVs and results are not often great, plus it introduces more display lag. It might work better on stronger hardware and cleaner game content.

In the presentation it is clearly mentioned that this method doesn't need to wait for the next frame and creates no additional latency, and the fact that TV's do not have access to all the data that the game engine has (motion vectors, camera movement, object positions) results in better results with fewer computations compared to a TV, which has to do a lot of work trying to guess which part of the frame moved. If you download the example AVI, you'll appreciate the quality of the implementation.

Back