KILLZONE Shadow Fall [PS4]

"Bu-bu-bu LDR is an artistic choice".

LOL

Looks very good but not impressive.

I had mixed feelings too when I saw the live stream but after downloading the video and watching it again full scream, it struck me how much detail there is actually in it. Its crazy.

I ll go as far as saying that especially during the large scale intro and the final part with the rope it looks so good and does it so effortlessly that I question whether this is genuine footage. Its way too good especially for a launch title. This is supposed to be an actual game not a tech demo like Agni's Philosophy and gets such good results.
So many explosions, so many objects moving, the explosions (yes I liked those), the huge scale, the transparencies and reflections, the lighting....looking closer to the video I notice many subtle visual details that I wouldnt have expected.....it actually invokes me feelings of E3 2005.

Unfortunately the gameplay scenes did not have the same impact as when we saw the PS3 2005 target render which showed a level of interaction and believability we havent experienced in games before ever.

But this one looks sterile in terms of gameplay design and pulls the attention away from what is actually achieved on screen because its gameplay is way too similar to what we have already experienced on the current generation. Everything looks staged, NPC animations and behaviors look basic and there isnt much going on in terms of environment interaction. The exact opposite of what we saw at 2005. There goes also the subtle details in the way the camera moves while running or the way the gun recoil behaves when shooting, things we got in Killzone 2 and 3. Everything appear so fast and light as if there is no sense of weight

Looks very good , as expected ... best part was the flying before the landing at the beginning . The skyscraper with the reflecting walls was amazing . After the invasion it looses the awe and it's business as usual .
A certain fps released a few days earlier spoiled us and steals a lot of thunder from KZ4 .

I had mixed feelings too when I saw the live stream but after downloading the video and watching it again full scream, it struck me how much detail there is actually in it. Its crazy.

I ll go as far as saying that especially during the large scale intro and the final part with the rope it looks so good and does it so effortlessly that I question whether this is genuine footage. Its way too good especially for a launch title. This is supposed to be an actual game not a tech demo like Agni's Philosophy and gets such good results.
So many explosions, so many objects moving, the explosions (yes I liked those), the huge scale, the transparencies and reflections, the lighting....looking closer to the video I notice many subtle visual details that I wouldnt have expected.....it actually invokes me feelings of E3 2005.

Unfortunately the gameplay scenes did not have the same impact as when we saw the PS3 2005 target render which showed a level of interaction and believability we havent experienced in games before ever.

But this one looks sterile in terms of gameplay design and pulls the attention away from what is actually achieved on screen because its gameplay is way too similar to what we have already experienced on the current generation. Everything looks staged, NPC animations and behaviors look basic and there isnt much going on in terms of environment interaction. The exact opposite of what we saw at 2005. There goes also the subtle details in the way the camera moves while running or the way the gun recoil behaves when shooting, things we got in Killzone 2 and 3. Everything appear so fast and light as if there is no sense of weight

Where did you download the videos ? Are they on the PS Store now ?

Lingering smoke is a framerate killer...
Then it needs to be done in a new, next-gen way. ;)
, also, where is smoke supposed to linger high up on a skyscraper rooftop? Have you ever been up on a place like that? It's pretty much always quite windy, which means smoke dissipates quickly.
Meh. Can't say I was getting a 'windy rooftop' vibe from the video. the smoke wasn't blowing around quickly either. It's just a simple alpha-particle effect, quickly removed to stop the machine getting bogged down. I understand it, but it's jsut a disappointment especially when KZ2 managed to get some reasonably lingering smoke. Of course it's early days and I wouldn't be surprised if future games develop better techniques. It's just an observation that jumped out at me - same smoke tech used for 15 years...

Looks very good , as expected ... best part was the flying before the landing at the beginning . The skyscraper with the reflecting walls was amazing . After the invasion it looses the awe and it's business as usual .
A certain fps released a few days earlier spoiled us and steals a lot of thunder from KZ4 .

Well if that certain FPS is the one I think it is, I think this one is more impressive

1080p walkthrough footage ( real HD quality )
with the walkthrough being played differently than in the live PSmeeting live demo
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=lUjQ4DJXLzw

few screecaps :

http://i46.tinypic.com/29kt1dt.jpg
http://i49.tinypic.com/26p0h.jpg
http://i50.tinypic.com/33xaicy.jpg

Oh, cool! Thanks for sharing. I really dig the style. Great science fiction setting, where well made imo! I still hope that this game will feature some gritty dark settings a la Killzone 2.
Such a launch title would be perfect :)

There seem to be 3 modes of fire on that gun he's using in the walkthrough. Slow fire, rapid fire, and what looks like a charged sniper shot. I was hoping they would return to alt fire modes on guns like they had in the first Killzone.

This being set 30 years after Killzone 3 hopefully means we don't have to see those annoying character from Killzone 3 again.

Now stick a 1080p trailer of this in the PSN store already Sony. :devilish:

I'm not surprised ....
And your point?
1080p walkthrough footage ( real HD quality )
with the walkthrough being played differently than in the live PSmeeting live demo
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=lUjQ4DJXLzw

few screecaps :

http://i46.tinypic.com/29kt1dt.jpg
http://i49.tinypic.com/26p0h.jpg
http://i50.tinypic.com/33xaicy.jpg

Love the way the lighting and color on the grenade smoke changes at 6:30 and the reflections on the wall on the left :)
Even the smoke casts reflections on the walls

Can't say I was getting a 'windy rooftop' vibe from the video. the smoke wasn't blowing around quickly either. It's just a simple alpha-particle effect, quickly removed to stop the machine getting bogged down. I understand it, but it's jsut a disappointment especially when KZ2 managed to get some reasonably lingering smoke.
Indeed that was probably my biggest let down too. At one point on the rooftop just as he's starting to walk to the right, there is a large pop as one of the smoke alphas bugged out then came back. Minor detail, and who knows maybe it'll be improved by the time it's released.

I think some of the best parts were the fly in's, as they show some great scale. Having the reflections and decent lighting across the large enviroments gives some wow factor, but realizing that all that detail is very low quality, beefed up by nice lighting/effects (we're not going to be walking around down there), took away some of the wow factor for me.

bmUploads_2013-02-21_1459_KZ4_Flyin1.jpg

Then it needs to be done in a new, next-gen way. ;)
Meh. Can't say I was getting a 'windy rooftop' vibe from the video. the smoke wasn't blowing around quickly either. It's just a simple alpha-particle effect, quickly removed to stop the machine getting bogged down. I understand it, but it's jsut a disappointment especially when KZ2 managed to get some reasonably lingering smoke. Of course it's early days and I wouldn't be surprised if future games develop better techniques. It's just an observation that jumped out at me - same smoke tech used for 15 years...

I always remember GTA4 when I think of good smoke effects, the volumetric (i think) smoke that used to spew from cars (along with the realistic looking flames) was quite impressive at the time.

Shadow Fall looks pretty good, though mostly because I like GG's art style - the tech doesn't seem that big an advance.
The style of the city reminded me of Mass Effect, with all the blue highlights.

Does this game take place before KZ1?

The lighting and shaders are what makes that scene work (hence why it looks so good as a GIF) but polygon wise it's nothing special.

EDIT: The framerate in that direct-feed footage was pretty bad.

Yeah seeing a static screen of that is far less impressive than it was while watching the stream. I hadn't realized just how incredibly low poly (compared to what I was expecting out of next gen) and sterile that is.

Still, considering it's something you only see briefly, it's not like you'll be focusing on it as you do in a static image. And overall while in motion it looks pretty good.

While looking good, this game was probably one of the low points, I was expecting more from them for next gen. Some of the other game demo's looked far more interesting graphics wise.

Regards,
SB

Back