KILLZONE Shadow Fall [PS4]

Shadow Fall looks pretty good, though mostly because I like GG's art style - the tech doesn't seem that big an advance.
The style of the city reminded me of Mass Effect, with all the blue highlights.

Does this game take place before KZ1?

30 years after KZ3 taking place on Vekta.

One thing I noticed is that its hard to tell when they switch from video to gameplay. This might be a new trick in the future ps4 (switching seemlessly from gameplay to cgi video without a hitch). It could be the reason behind all the extra RAM that the system has. If you watch the video closely starting at 6:45 something happens right as he is about to jump onto the heli-ship - there is a zoomblur effect and the model of the ship seems to change and the background becomes really clear.

One thing I noticed is that its hard to tell when they switch from video to gameplay. This might be a new trick in the future ps4 (switching seemlessly from gameplay to cgi video without a hitch). It could be the reason behind all the extra RAM that the system has. If you watch the video closely starting at 6:45 something happens right as he is about to jump onto the heli-ship - there is a zoomblur effect and the model of the ship seems to change and the background becomes really clear.

I wasn't aware any of it was CGI.

More RAM and mandatory HDD install will help with level transitions, real time render to cutscene transitions, streaming, etc.

Although increased size of assets will still increase level load times if they don't stream data from HDD. And even there increased size of assets for next gen will still have significant texture pop in with streaming as they are quite limited in the speed of available notebook HDDs.

Regards,
SB

Guerilla says the development costs aren't that different from the PS3.

Well it doesn't look that much different either. No sign of completely new engine features apart from proper HDR, and all that vast city is pretty simple if you take a good look at it.

To be honest, apart from the scale and the raw number of polygons, the demo wasn't really pushing anything mind blowing... And you can see in some screenshots that characters beyond a certain distance aren't casting shadows, for example. So it's probably a port of the KZ3 engine, with extra precision and HDR in the G-buffer, but it's far from taking advantage of the new hardware's possibilities.

So, building the assets might actually be at a similar cost though - the high poly was already very, very detailed, same for the working version of the texture (before downscaling) and now they can spend less time on optimizing the low poly mesh.

"Bu-bu-bu LDR is an artistic choice".

Yeah, good to be rid of all that clamping and such. I'm sure the GG guys are happy about it too :)

Looks very good but not impressive.

What did you expect from launch games? It's a reasonably good effort though, removing all the limitations the PS3 hardware imposed on their engine, and upping the budgets for the artwork... Goes to show the potential behind the tech and just how far ahead of its time it was (similar to a lot of other 2nd and 3rd generation games on both current platforms)

What I didn't see anyone mention here is that the huge city scape is just a facade. The gameplay area is basically still a very limited tunnel, with heavily scripted encounters and AI that's limited to the immediate are it's placed in; all those scycrapers are just 3D versions of the 2D backgrounds in current gen FPS games.

And even when the flying starts it is an on rails section with scripted events and all.

So basically it's a current gen game with more polygons and higher res textures, but nothing new.

maybe they switch for pre-rendered when it jumps to heli and suddenly showing crazy draw distance then change back to gameplay when shooting the guy with pistol?

uncharted do something like that right? and to some extend, FF XIII and FF XIII-2 also does that and in some scene the transition is seamless on PS3. On xbox you see the FMV is much lower quality and destroy the illussion.

There's nothing impossible about the draw distance, and the actual buildings are very, very simple. Check out the 4K screenshot, they're basically boxes using the same generic texture. And the entire environment isn't interactive at al, the player's locked into a tunnel the same way it's done on the current gen.

maybe they switch for pre-rendered when it jumps to heli and suddenly showing crazy draw distance then change back to gameplay when shooting the guy with pistol?

uncharted do something like that right? and to some extend, FF XIII and FF XIII-2 also does that and in some scene the transition is seamless on PS3. On xbox you see the FMV is much lower quality and destroy the illussion.

Uncharted only went into FMV between levels in diferent environments, so it could load the now assets on the background. Quick cutscenes between gameplay segments were done in-engine.

Indeed that was probably my biggest let down too. At one point on the rooftop just as he's starting to walk to the right, there is a large pop as one of the smoke alphas bugged out then came back. Minor detail, and who knows maybe it'll be improved by the time it's released.

I think some of the best parts were the fly in's, as they show some great scale. Having the reflections and decent lighting across the large enviroments gives some wow factor, but realizing that all that detail is very low quality, beefed up by nice lighting/effects (we're not going to be walking around down there), took away some of the wow factor for me.

<image removed>

The screenshot actually doesn't look as nice as it did in motion. Still, the game looks really good.

1080p walkthrough footage ( real HD quality )
with the walkthrough being played differently than in the live PSmeeting live demo
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=lUjQ4DJXLzw

few screecaps :

http://i46.tinypic.com/29kt1dt.jpg
http://i49.tinypic.com/26p0h.jpg
http://i50.tinypic.com/33xaicy.jpg

Wow ! This
Aythroigh seems so much more Killzoneque than the stage one ! The gameplay seems like KZ2 !!!! Good !

Also, the better lit initial and last segments are also realtime, as u can see here. Tey are dropping the lighting and asset quality for actual shooting secrions right now, hope they don't in the final game.

Oh and ues, Guerilla still has the best lens flare effect in the industry !

wow looking at the static screenshot of the game posted on previous page... it looks a lot worst than the video i just saw :/

it seems motion "hide" the lack of detail

What I didn't see anyone mention here is that the huge city scape is just a facade. The gameplay area is basically still a very limited tunnel, with heavily scripted encounters and AI that's limited to the immediate are it's placed in; all those scycrapers are just 3D versions of the 2D backgrounds in current gen FPS games.

And even when the flying starts it is an on rails section with scripted events and all.

So basically it's a current gen game with more polygons and higher res textures, but nothing new.

If there really were bullets flying out of the PS4, mortally wounding the people in the living-room there wouldn't be much of a market for DLC.

Personally I were hugely impressed.
It looked great for a game wich is coming to a console wich release in 9-10 months. And it will probably look even better without all the compression on youtube.

I really do not think any of its pre-rendered, custscene sure, but pre-rendered nope.

Hmm, I actually think it has lost some of its character with all these nice saturated colors,..

Finally someone shares my view.

The cityscape and huge waterfall in the KZ4 scene does remind me of Lair. ;-)

They should be able to do a good open world dragon game now. :devilish:

People who are saying other games were more impressive have to be reminded that this was the only game playable on ps4 at the moment. What us impressing u in other demoes most prbly won't translate to gameplay.

Infact, KZ is the only true gameplay we have seen running on the hardware.

As for art, yes, KZ2 had the best of it all. It looked unique and movie-like with a stellar atmosphere u could taste in your mouth. But the lasr section where they show the Helghan part of thw city gives me hope that we will get to breathe in that dark dense environment again. Vekta is a colourful planet, very earthlike, as we have seen in KZ1, buy GG did manage some really cool levels in that too. Hoping for the best. As of now, the new look of the Helghast actually feels 'old' to me.

Frankly speaking, they should have let GG take their time with the hardware and let someother FPS be the launch title. Time pressures will only reduce the quality of the game.

@GG, give me true HDR and and GI in gameplay pls.

Back