KILLZONE Shadow Fall [PS4]

image_killzone_shadow_fall-21469-2660_0010.jpg

image_killzone_shadow_fall-21469-2660_0007.jpg

with Bokeh DOF !!! :p !

GG has said it will be 1080p @30FPS

That SSAO ! lol
The only other thing that looked dated apart from the NPC's walking animation which was too stiff but I suppose it'll get ironed out.

That top shot is in-game cinematics I assume, as its very different in quality from the bottom shot. I noticed quite a significant shift in image quality when they went into the 'on-rails' sections anyway.

Looks like they got most of the effects in such as HDR, SSAO, light shaft, Bokeh DOF all on a fully deferred renderer. The explosions are really something else though. I assume this is pre alpha footage since they still have 10 months to improve on this already insane looking launch title.
Wonder if they have got that realtime radiosity in yet?

Looks like they got most of the effects in such as HDR, SSAO, light shaft, Bokeh DOF all on a fully deferred renderer. The explosions are really something else though. I assume this is pre alpha footage since they still have 10 months to improve on this already insane looking launch title.

Yeah, but they mention in the article that it's been in development for 2,5 years, and it suggests to being close to finished, so I'm guessing it will actually be a launch title, and we shouldn't expact a tonne of improvements from here.

Looks like they got most of the effects in such as HDR, SSAO, light shaft, Bokeh DOF all on a fully deferred renderer. The explosions are really something else though.
The thing that really struck me was the lightness of the smoke. Really disappointing after KZ2. I was hoping for dense, lingering smoke, but this is typical computer fluff that magically vaporises in seconds leaving perfectly clean air.

Looked pretty amazing for a launch title. Have to agree with Shifty on the smoke, but that's really minor compared to the other improvements they showed.

I was happy that it looks like there may be options to approaching certain situations. So hopefully this means it'll be more open than previous titles. A great early start.

Lingering smoke is a framerate killer, also, where is smoke supposed to linger high up on a skyscraper rooftop? Have you ever been up on a place like that? It's pretty much always quite windy, which means smoke dissipates quickly.

This game looks fucking amazing. Can't wait to play it on my own TV...

image_killzone_shadow_fall-21469-2660_0010.jpg

image_killzone_shadow_fall-21469-2660_0007.jpg

with Bokeh DOF !!! :p !

GG has said it will be 1080p @30FPS

yup

Killzone Shadow Fall will be 30 FPS at 1080p resolution according to an interview after the presentation. German gaming site 4players.de reports:

Summary:

- Developers can choose which resources they want to use
- GG chose to have 30FPS at 1080p
- They still like 3D, wont confirm if Killzone Shadow Fall will support it

The game is set in a near future, thirty years after the events of Killzone 3. The world is a very different place; two rival factions known as the Helghast and the Vektans live side by side in a futuristic city, divided by a vast wall.

Tensions are high, and the cold war they are embroiled in is about to go hot. In the midst of this all stands a Shadow Marshal, you. The most special of the special forces, tasked with maintaining the delicate balance.

From responding to bold attacks, to quiet infiltrations or all out combat, you will be required to adapt and think on your feet as you have to face a variety of escalating events that could destroy your home world.

I'd like to find a really high-quality stream to watch again. The one I saw on gametrailers wasn't really sharp. The best part, visually, was the fly-in to the city, before the explosion. People are suggesting that's real-time, which would be very impressive. I was of the belief that it was an in-engine cutscene, like the opening for Killzone 2, and that it switched to real-time after the explosion. I didn't watch all the way to the end, and I guess that includes another pan out to show the city again?

The game's graphics seem to be highly reliant on some sort of screen-space glossy reflections algo working on mostly every surface. Looks awsome and I-can't-believe-a-real-time-game-is-doing-that when it works properly (as we have been accustomed to considering reflections a near impossible thing in real-time aside from the ocasional cube-map or water surface) but there are moments when it is pretty artifacty too, like in the moment the player is going down a ramp on this corridor with two very reflective walls and low lighting and throws a grenade down it and kills a hellgast, there there is a very easily discernible silhouette of the player's gun on the wall very far down the ramp where really there shouldn't be any reflection from the gun at all. Looking at it you realize it is not the reflection from the gun itself, but rather a lack of reflection from the opposing wall where it is ocluded by the gun in screenspace. Similar artifacts are very apparent near the borders of the screen during the last scene when the camera zooms out.
Maybe these newly added 4Gigs of ram would be put to good use on some form of depth peeled G-buffer with 2 or 3 layers so these screenspace artifacts are less frequent, and although not completely obsent, less obvious when they do occur.

Maybe the devs should simply change the engine so to draw the gun after they've rendered their reflections...? :) Yeah, it would mean some overdraw, but there are always tradeoffs.

"Bu-bu-bu LDR is an artistic choice".

LOL

Looks very good but not impressive.

Exactly what was bothering me too. It has all that jazz but it still looks LDR to me. It feels off :???: ! In fact I was gonna ask if it actually has HDR or not.

Same feelings here, looks good but something is not right. I thought it was the lackluster COD like gameplay, but .....

Funny thing is they had working HDR even in the first realtime showing of KZ2 on the ps3, but they removed it from subsequent showings and the game due to performance issues. After completing KZ2 , GG mentioned that they even have a working radiositt soultion but it isn't optimised enough. Both HDR and raltime radiosity didn't appear in KZ3, which is understandable.

But now we are on the next gen ! Why not now GG?

Lingering smoke is a framerate killer, also, where is smoke supposed to linger high up on a skyscraper rooftop? Have you ever been up on a place like that? It's pretty much always quite windy, which means smoke dissipates quickly.

This game looks fucking amazing. Can't wait to play it on my own TV...

Yeah you're right, it was still a cool effect though. :p

"Bu-bu-bu LDR is an artistic choice".

LOL

Looks very good but not impressive.

You don't think it looks impressive for a launch title? Is there something more you were expecting?

Maybe the devs should simply change the engine so to draw the gun after they've rendered their reflections...? :) Yeah, it would mean some overdraw, but there are always tradeoffs.

Yeah, but any other object can cause those type artifacts, the gun is just one of the most likely one to make it happen on such a obvious manner. And rendering the gun in another pass is some rudimentary form of depth peeling already, they could go more robust and do it for the full scene.

Back