Anyone still think Wii U will "win" "next gen"?

Will Wii U be the best selling console over MS and Sony's offerings?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Sorry but I still take the official shipment figures over just your word. Quoting some launch week percentages is not terribly impressive.

Sorry but I still take the official shipment figures over just your word. Quoting some launch week percentages is not terribly impressive.

Those figures we taken before the super slim launched and why so hurt over PS3 out selling 360?

360 had a full ~12 months coupled with a cheaper launch price advantage over PS3 and yet it's not out sold it.

If they both released at the same time then using basic maths it's obvious that PS3 would be a few good million units in front.

Those figures we taken before the super slim launched and why so hurt over PS3 out selling 360?

The only thing hurting me is when fiction is being presented as fact. I don't care if PS3 overtakes 360.
The percentage figure you quoted was Super slim week sales vs the week prior that. It's hardly surprising or proof that PS3 has overtaken 360 in global shipments.

360 had a full ~12 months coupled with a cheaper launch price advantage over PS3 and yet it's not out sold it.

If they both released at the same time then using basic maths it's obvious that PS3 would be a few good million units in front.

Yeah Sony has made a nice comeback with PS3, still doesn't mean they are out of the third spot at this moment.

The only thing hurting me is when fiction is being presented as fact. I don't care if PS3 overtakes 360.
The percentage figure you quoted was Super slim week sales vs the week prior that. It's hardly surprising or proof that PS3 has overtaken 360 in global shipments.

Yeah Sony has made a nice comeback with PS3, still doesn't mean they are out of the third spot at this moment.

I've yet to you post proof that 360 is still in the lead after the launch of the super slim...

I've yet to you post proof that 360 is still in the lead after the launch of the super slim...

Other than the fact that I wasn't the one who came out with a controversial claim, I already said that MS had shipped 70 million units at the end of September, which is from their financial report. Sony just announced that they have now reached 70M on November 4th. MS has typically been stronger during the holiday months and Sony outside of them. There is no reason or proof to think that PS3 has already overtaken the 360. I'm sure Sony will trumpet it when that day comes.

Sony no longer separates their PS2 and PS3 sales from each other on their financials, so it's bit hard to come by with an exact figure, unless they themselves make it known.

Other than the fact that I wasn't the one who came out with a controversial claim, I already said that MS had shipped 70 million units at the end of September, which is from their financial report. Sony just announced that they have now reached 70M on November 4th. MS has typically been stronger during the holiday months and Sony outside of them. There is no reason or proof to think that PS3 has already overtaken the 360. I'm sure Sony will trumpet it when that day comes.

Sony no longer separates their PS2 and PS3 sales from each other on their financials, so it's bit hard to come by with an exact figure, unless they themselves make it known.

Google searching puts 360 1.9 Million units in front of PS3 in October...

...as Sony will likely support PS3 longer then Microsoft will support 360...
I see no reason to assume that. As long as XB360 is turning a profit, MS will support it. Kinect has done wonders for the platform and seen far better support from MS than Move has from Sony. Maybe Sony will do more in the wider markets than MS given current experience with PS2 (we've had a knowledgeable fella on this board tell us that Sony's worldwide market is in more territories than MS; can't remember his name or the post though) but that's still a premature assessment.

So PS3 would have to sell 1.9 million units plus whatever MS sells during that period up to whenever you want to measure in November. (Edit: Bunging those variables into Google, I get VGChartz as the source, so I'm not sure we ahve any reliable numbers other than MS and Sony's official figures.) I don't think Ps3 is ahead yet. I don't think it much matters. It's very close no matter who's in second. The real point of discussion should be relative to Wii sales and where Wuu fits in. ;)

Its kinda too soon to tell if the WiiU will "win" considering that the competition has not even been announced yet. Being first out the gate has its advantages. If the wii managed to outsell the ps3/360 for a couple years then why would a new system need to compete with obviously old consoles? Its in a generation of its own.

Probably a vgchartz number. Sadly for sales monsters like myself, Sony stopped reporting PS3 shipped numbers a couple Q's ago, opting to give a combined PS2+PS3 figure. Most likely so they could also combine Vita+PSP and hide how terribly Vita was doing.

Microsoft was at exactly 70 m 360's as of end September quarter. Sony then did a PS3 at 70m press release as of Nov 4.

So basically Sony hit 70m about a month behind MS. Given historical shipment patterns, it's likely MS shipped 2-3m 360's in Oct and that was the "lead" as of Sony's announcement Nov 4, but we cant really narrow it down any further.

I, for one, prefer more impartial data as NPD provided and as we got at some point for Europe and Japan though the measurement of multiple companies.

Shipments can be bent to please the investors, even more when situation is rought, channel stuffing exists in other sectors. For that reason I regret the lack of independant data world wide.

Anyway that is for sake of the discussion, for all intend and purpose ,I don't think that at this points an even +5 millions difference in sold units makes any difference. User base are in the same ballpark and both user base are big enough to ensure studio best efforts on both platforms.

I, for one, prefer more impartial data as NPD provided and as we got at some point for Europe and Japan though the measurement of multiple companies.

Shipments can be bent to please the investors, even more when situation is rought, channel stuffing exists in other sectors. For that reason I regret the lack of independant data world wide.

Anyway that is for sake of the discussion, for all intend and purpose ,I don't think that at this points an even +5 millions difference in sold units makes any difference. User base are in the same ballpark and both user base are big enough to ensure studio best efforts on both platforms.

shipping data should be quite reliable and accurate. more or less it is a true worldwide sales number.

the only major caveat is that it can lag actual sales by up to months. but in the long run that evens out.

certainly it's true a 2m difference on two 70m consoles is irrelevant. especially since conceviably rrod could make the number of working ps3's greater than working 360's.

of greater practical concern might be that 8-10m ps3's are in japan, where they for the most part dont buy western software, and conversely buy more japanese software. but are effectively removed from the western ecosystem.

Its kinda too soon to tell if the WiiU will "win" considering that the competition has not even been announced yet. Being first out the gate has its advantages. If the wii managed to outsell the ps3/360 for a couple years then why would a new system need to compete with obviously old consoles? Its in a generation of its own.

The Wii was able to outrun the PS3 and X360 during its early days because people got really hyped with the motion controls and low price. The tablet controller isn't getting that hype.
Go take a look at the Wii reviews from 2006. Everyone loved it. It was undoubtedly called "truly innovative" and "revolutionary" from everyone.
The Wii U is getting mild reviews at best. When asked if someone should purchase a Wii U for this christmas, the usual answer is "not yet". What does "not yet" mean? The console won't ever get noticeably better games than the PS360, it'll just get the same games with the tablet thingie.

It's expensive, it's not really a good value at all. In fact, for the same price as a 32GB Wii U, one can purchase both a PS3 and a PS Vita.

It doesn't seem like the Wii U will be able to outrun the much cheaper PS3 and X360, which also have an infinitely better selection of games and loads of spectacular AAA titles being sold for $10.
By the time the new Xbox and PS4 get released, the difference in power will probably be so large that its titles will look as embarassingly bad as most Wii titles look right now.

I wouldn't recommend the Wii U to anyone, given the low amount of decent titles and their price, plus the fact that it's too expensive for a console that will probably be forgotten by the 3rd parties as soon as the real next gens come out, because of its substandard capabilities.

It depends. The wii u is out now and selling well. They did 400k on launch week in the usa, I bet they are already over 1m units sold. By the fall they will be between 5 and 10m units sold (depends on what big titles they get)

I'm assuming the ps4 will be announced at e3 and the xbox 8 will be announced in the summer with its own event and both will cost $400 . By then I expect to see a price drop of the wii u. Most likely down to $250/$300 but we could see Nintendo go down further (the 3ds price drop was a shock for me)

At that point it really depends on the next gen consoles. Will first year ps4/xbox 8 games have a large enough leap in graphics than the second year wii u games ?

We know that both sony and ms will sell as many systems as they can make during the launch period but how many systems will that be ? The 360 was plagued by low production amounts at first. Could the same happen to both these consoles ?

THen you have to wonder about price drops . The 360 can most likely get a 28nm drop and a smaller system build. Perhaps even pull out the hardrive (make it an add on) and ship a $100 32gig xbox 360 and a $200 64 gig xbox Kinect in a new smaller shell . Sony already launched a new slimmer model but i'm sure over the course of the next year they can reduce the price .

So will the wii u be sandwiched between $100-$200 xbox/ps3s and $400 xbox8/ps4s ? If they can get closer to that $200 mark the wii u should be a better purchase for new buyers than the xbox or ps3 at that price point. Everything I've seen of the wii u shows it having the better graphics of the bunch.

I think Nintendo and Sony will ultimately end up fighting it out for 2nd place while MS swoops out with an early lead that neither can make up.

By the time the new Xbox and PS4 get released, the difference in power will probably be so large that its titles will look as embarassingly bad as most Wii titles look right now.

I really see this as the only hope for the WiiU, that there isn't a large enough visual difference between it and the next gen consoles from Sony/MS.

Of course, if that is the case, it also means there won't be a large enough visual difference between the 360 and NextBox or PS3 and PS4.

And if that happens, IMO, then it's pretty much the end of console gaming, period.

So essentially, unless MS and Sony are planning on getting out of the console business after the next generation, the WiiU has very little hope for success.

The argument that the wii-u is too expensive is ludacris. Coming from the initial launch of the $600 ps3 with no game and no HDMI cable. Fact of the matter is the Wii-U is NEW. People love NEW STUFF. Ps3 and xbox are old hat. Even the Vita is old hat - it can barely compete with the 3DS or Angry birds.

If the wii-u is at the PS360 level at launch but has future potential, then why would we need to keep talking about the ps360 which is pretty much topped out and 7 years old? Unless of course people really love the ps360 which they ALREADY HAVE.

So as for the ps4Next60 which have yet to be announced. They are not going to announce them until e3 2013. MAYBE. Then they will take another 8 months demo-ing the hardware for a Nov 2013 release. They'll cost at least 400 with no harddrive (doing the same usb flash memory wii-u trickery). Sony will probably hold out for another year (10 year console). By that time who knows what will be out. Last of Us? GTA5? Vita2000?

The argument that the wii-u is too expensive is ludacris. Coming from the initial launch of the $600 ps3 with no game and no HDMI cable. Fact of the matter is the Wii-U is NEW. People love NEW STUFF. Ps3 and xbox are old hat. Even the Vita is old hat - it can barely compete with the 3DS.
If NEW is really that important, how come the NEW Vita isn't trouncing the old 3DS? PS3 was $600 because it was brand-new, high-end hardware and a BRD player. Wuu is $300 offering about the same hardware performance as a $200 console. As mentioned, for the same price as a 32 GB Wuu, you can get a PS3 and a Vita - a smart tablet. the hardware in Wuu appears to be extremely poor value for money. The only value in Wuu really is if you like the unique (Nintendo) games.

If the wii-u is at the PS360 level at launch but has future potential, then why would we need to keep talking about the ps360 which is pretty much topped out and 7 years old? Unless of course people really love the ps360 which they ALREADY HAVE.
Why would anyone with a PS360 get a Wuu? That's $300 to get virtually the same games. Either the Wuu is selling to an audience who don't have an HD console, who can surely be approached with the cheaper PS360 proposition, or it's not going to sell. I certainly can't see a mass migration of PS360 gamers to Wuu.

WiiU will certainly sell to the Nintendo hardcore, they should sell out over Xmas, but that will likely be only 1-3M units.
Once supply issues are solved and we're out of the Xmas buying season the question becomes can it sustain demand and what effect the PS360 sequel announcements will have, whatever point in time that is.
Currently I don't see a reason for a hardcore PS360 owner to "upgrade", if you love Nintendo franchises certainly you'll buy one, for me Nintendo killed Zelda with the Wii effort I have no desire to maniacally wiggle a controller to play Zelda, but I know I'm in the minority.

I personally assume that there will be a perceptible jump in visuals for any new Sony or MS console (otherwise why bother).

So the question becomes are Nintendo franchises and the price point enough for it to remain relevant.

It depends. The wii u is out now and selling well. They did 400k on launch week in the usa, I bet they are already over 1m units sold. By the fall they will be between 5 and 10m units sold (depends on what big titles they get)

According to Major Nelson, MS sold 750k xbox360's in the same timeframe
http://majornelson.com/2012/11/27/xbox-360-black-friday-report/

I can't see the WiiU having much chance of success once MS and Sony unveils ther next-gen consoles. And as many other have said, the hardware seems to weak, the WiiU pad don't look to have the same obvious draw as the original Wii motion control and IMO the price for the WiiU is to high when compared to the current offerings of the competition..

WiiU will certainly sell to the Nintendo hardcore, they should sell out over Xmas, but that will likely be only 1-3M units.
Once supply issues are solved and we're out of the Xmas buying season the question becomes can it sustain demand and what effect the PS360 sequel announcements will have, whatever point in time that is.
Currently I don't see a reason for a hardcore PS360 owner to "upgrade", if you love Nintendo franchises certainly you'll buy one, for me Nintendo killed Zelda with the Wii effort I have no desire to maniacally wiggle a controller to play Zelda, but I know I'm in the minority.

I personally assume that there will be a perceptible jump in visuals for any new Sony or MS console (otherwise why bother).

So the question becomes are Nintendo franchises and the price point enough for it to remain relevant.
Based on historical data about the choices Nintendo made with their previous systems for their supply chain and when they started production (pretty late) Pachter think that they are going to be sold out and he puts the estimate worldwide at 3.6 Millions (so 1.2 millions units a month, with the mass prodcution started pretty late (this October)).
I think it is a solid prevision, let see :)

Back