Anyone still think Wii U will "win" "next gen"?

Will Wii U be the best selling console over MS and Sony's offerings?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
What happens if the WiiU comes in a Pink and Blue model?

What happens if ps4/720 game prices rise by $10 like this gen
If it would allow devs to take a few more risks without fear of going under, I'd accept it. I have been enough disposable income that $10 doesn't concern me, but I'm sure it's huge to pubs/devs.

What happens if the WiiU comes in a Pink and Blue model?

Well II won't avoid your question and actually answer it seriously.
Probably wouldn't have a huge impact.
On the other hand things like game prices, treatment of used games and online service fees versus your competition could have and impact with certain demographics.
I just wonder how much and am interested in what others think.

If it would allow devs to take a few more risks without fear of going under, I'd accept it. I have been enough disposable income that $10 doesn't concern me, but I'm sure it's huge to pubs/devs.

I also doubt it would have much of an impact for early adopters. Beyond that I'm not so sure.

What is this preoccupation with "winning"? And what does it mean to "win"? Console sales? Software sales? Higher profitability? What?

As a long term investor in both MSFT and SNE (damn its taking a beating), Nintendo must not win. :p That way, I win regardless through dividends or if I'm lucky a 2:1 split like MSFT use to do on a pretty regular basis. :D

What happens if ps4/720 game prices rise by $10 like this gen and Wiiu prices stay at current gen levels ?
Unless you're talking about MS and Sony raising license fees, there's no longer a fixed retail price. Publishers are free (and always have been, beyond costs) to price whatever they want for their titles, and they endeavour to price at whatever will fetch them maximum profit. Considering prices of games can drop very rapidly in this age of competing online stores (eg. XCOM's available at £25 new from Amazon in the UK instead of the £40 RRP, just a couple of months from launch), consumers have plenty of options. I wouldn't be surprised to see publishers push prices up a little again, knowing that those who can't afford the day 1 price will get a few months later at discount. Plus with DLC, revenues are being taken over a longer period of the game's life, so a need for price increases isn't as strong.

All in all, disc prices aren't going to be a deciding factor any more than free versus paid online will be.

Playing devil's advocate.

The Wii-U is a Nintendo device created to play Nintendo games... and it could prove a very capable device in those terms:
- the tablet is optimized for extremely low latencies, and it may have less lag than a modern TV set.
- it seems a perfectly good/excellent console for Mario+1/Zelda+1 et al. Would those games play better on a 720/PS4? IMHO no.

But perhaps the console is also a platform for future Nintendo development? There's no reason Nintendo couldn't build a DS tablet... that would have the potential to change things.

Playing devil's advocate.

The Wii-U is a Nintendo device created to play Nintendo games... and it could prove a very capable device in those terms:
- the tablet is optimized for extremely low latencies, and it may have less lag than a modern TV set.
- it seems a perfectly good/excellent console for Mario+1/Zelda+1 et al. Would those games play better on a 720/PS4? IMHO no.

But perhaps the console is also a platform for future Nintendo development? There's no reason Nintendo couldn't build a DS tablet... that would have the potential to change things.
Playing devil's advocate of the devil's advocate
-Maybe, maybe not. But even so, so what?
-What about the rest of multiplatform and exclusive games on competitive platforms? ;)

You mean.....not only people are dealing with two screens now...they will be dealing with 3 later on??
If people will be playing on a DS tablet in another room instead on their TVs, why dont we remove the WiiU altogether and just game on our 3DS's instead which lasts more hours and has no connectivity distance issues? ;)

-Maybe, maybe not. But even so, so what?
-What about the rest of multiplatform and exclusive games on competitive platforms? ;)

I've been told by "people that like platformers" that latency is incredibly important, and one of the major reasons "Mario works" is latency.

In terms of multiplatform, I suspect Iwata's private response is "meh". Third parties don't make Nintendo much money, and Nintendo doesn't make much money from third parties... I also think that Nintendo is the 'wholesome/clean' console, I don't think they necessarily want a Nintendo "best for COD: super death kill" display inside a store.

You mean.....not only people are dealing with two screens now...they will be dealing with 3 later on??
If people will be playing on a DS tablet in another room instead on their TVs, why dont we remove the WiiU altogether and just game on our 3DS's instead which lasts more hours and has no connectivity distance issues? ;)

Maybe the DS tablet would be extremely cheap and games focused - the WiiU would give it the ability to connect to the internet and browse?

It's been known that Sony/Nintendo were trying to tie their console & mobile devices together (hence 'expensive' suggestions that something like the vita would be a controller for the PS4). Maybe Nintendo have made half the jump, and their console-pusher is a device we haven't seen yet?

I've been told by "people that like platformers" that latency is incredibly important, and one of the major reasons "Mario works" is latency.
Again so what? Expecting input of any form of control to have almost zero latency is pretty much a given. Self evident. A normal thing to expect. Something we are sure 100% to get. So yeah you can play Mario as it is intended to be played and as it was played since forever.
In terms of multiplatform, I suspect Iwata's private response is "meh". Third parties don't make Nintendo much money, and Nintendo doesn't make much money from third parties... I also think that Nintendo is the 'wholesome/clean' console, I don't think they necessarily want a Nintendo "best for COD: super death kill" display inside a store.
How Iwata justifies his opinions is irrelevant to how his decisions will ultimately prove his new console successful

Maybe the DS tablet would be extremely cheap and games focused - the WiiU would give it the ability to connect to the internet and browse?
Like the current Tablet isnt games focused? As if the 3DS isnt?
And you havent addressed my points? What about the inconvenience of dealing with 3 screens? What about the pointlessness of replacing an existing tablet and screwing the ass of the earlier adopters and paying for an expensive DS Tablet+WiiU just to play on a DS tablet when Nintendo can just do an awesome 3DS slim which fits perfectly that profile?
It's been known that Sony/Nintendo were trying to tie their console & mobile devices together (hence 'expensive' suggestions that something like the vita would be a controller for the PS4). Maybe Nintendo have made half the jump, and their console-pusher is a device we haven't seen yet?
So according to this maybe Nintendo is pulling half arsed moves slowly screwing buyers of each previous upgrade until they achieve a better version of WiiU in "we dont know when" year while creating a confusion among developers on which version of tablet they should support....To make things better maybe Sony or MS can do things right from the launch of their next gen consoles and come up from day one with the cheaper and awesome tablet solution

Controller latency is virtual zero. Game latency is an issue of engine and TV. Do those platformer players who like Mario buy TVs with very low latencies for optimal gameplay? Because if not, Wuu's not going to give them any advantage unless they play on the tablet.

The DS already has internet access and a browser. Wuu doesn't really add anything other than game streaming like PS3's remote play, only with Wuu's added tablet input support.

Controller latency is virtual zero. Game latency is an issue of engine and TV. Do those platformer players who like Mario buy TVs with very low latencies for optimal gameplay? Because if not, Wuu's not going to give them any advantage unless they play on the tablet.

Maybe people are "more accepting" of this on a TV screen or something? If you have a DS device, you expect the same response as your DS? Is there a technical difference in difficulty for Wii/DS platformers etc?

The DS already has internet access and a browser. Wuu doesn't really add anything other than game streaming like PS3's remote play, only with Wuu's added tablet input support.

Maybe a traditional DS tablet would be more expensive than the DS with a shorter battery life? Cut down the tablet to remove features to drive the price down?

People have suggested (unrealistically) that the vita would be a PS4 controller. Whilst that's crazy-talk, it doesn't seem completely unrealistic to produce a cut-down vita as the controller and allow the vita to replace/supplement it when present? That would be direct analogy to this WiiU idea, although the hardware inside the WiiU makes it hard to see the exact advantage... maybe simply allowing multiplayer DS games with only 1 DS? I haven't really thought it through...

But, it's not just the WiiU - the DS/3DS are becoming "less desirable"... kids want iPads. Are Nintendo hoping it's a fad, or is there a mystery 'device' on a drawing board somewhere?

Personally, my answer to the original question was "no, the WiiU is a terrible device". But Nintendo do have ~12 months to surprise people.

Maybe there is a "DS tablet" which will make sense of this mess.

Maybe there is a "DS tablet" which will make sense of this mess.
I don't really see how it can. A DS tablet may have value in itself, but any tablet that's dependent on Wuu isn't going to help Wuu much. This 'mess' is just Nintendo's MO. It's done them well before so its understandable why they'd carry on with the same approach, but I think the market has changed such that it's not going to pan out for them this time. I don't think Nintendo will ever be able of competing with iPad et al because Nintendo has a toy-makers mindset, and never done 'cool' or 'sleek' or anything particularly classy that competes with high-desirability gadgets. Without a change of approach (probably requiring a change of management), Nintendo will make toys as long as they can.

I don't really see how it can. A DS tablet may have value in itself, but any tablet that's dependent on Wuu isn't going to help Wuu much. This 'mess' is just Nintendo's MO. It's done them well before so its understandable why they'd carry on with the same approach, but I think the market has changed such that it's not going to pan out for them this time. I don't think Nintendo will ever be able of competing with iPad et al because Nintendo has a toy-makers mindset, and never done 'cool' or 'sleek' or anything particularly classy that competes with high-desirability gadgets. Without a change of approach (probably requiring a change of management), Nintendo will make toys as long as they can.

I don't disagree - but Nintendo's ace has always been "software". My niece & nephew want Ipads, but they are/were Nintendo-addicts. Zelda/Mario are big in that household. If there was a Nintendo tablet, they'd probably want that instead (as Zelda runs on it) and if the price was 'sane', they'd probably get them. [unlike the iPad, which they won't get at current prices!]

In Japan, it seems the console is 'dying/dead' - so maybe from a Japanese pov, the WiiU is more of a docking station for mobile devices than a games machine? A 'wireless node for Nintendo tablets with a TV interface'?

It will be interesting to see what happens - because Nintendo don't seem to have a realistic plan at this point.

I have no idea who the Wii U is supposed to appeal to, or why. It seems to me to be completely opposite in design philosophy to the Wii.

1. The tablet vs the remote. - The idea of the Wii was to get people who used to play or never played to pick up a controller. It had few buttons, and playing Wii Tennis was as simple as swinging the controller to hit the ball. The Wii U pad, by contrast, is arguably the most complex pack-in controller in the history of console gaming. Even worse, the popular Wii remote has been relegated to the status of a peripheral, which means we can expect few games to support it. I have no idea who's supposed to find the tablet particularly appealing, or how Nintendo is expecting fans of Wii Sports to be attracted to this thing.

2. Nintendoland vs Wii Sports - Nintendoland is a franchise nostalgia trip embodied as a theme park for five-year-olds, saturated to the gills with cloying chibi aesthetics. Wii Sports was sports with an unassuming, age-neutral style. Wii Sports was designed to appeal to everyone. Nintendoland is designed to appeal to small children, and to people with such a deep love of Nintendo franchises that they don't feel embarrassed playing a game designed to appeal to small children.

IMO the Wii U is a 180 turnaround from the Wii (the only similarity is that it's not very powerful) and goes back to the path they were on with the Gamecube. And I expect it to have a similar level of "success" as that console did.

I do hear various journalists say that they've had a lot more fun on the GamePad already than they've ever had with the WiiMote. But that's not necessarily a wider audience (just possibly one that buys more games ;) ).

There's no such thing as a "game journalist".
It's like calling a film critic a "film journalist". Being paid to say what the editor wants to get publicity revenue... or risk getting fired for saying their honest opinion.

The thing I like about Ninty is that they always have stuff up thier sleves. They are not just re-releasing prettier versions of angry birds or call of duty. Back in the day you could not even dream of playing mario with 4 players simultatiously. yeah its the same old mario but the game is fundamentaly better - instead of "oh halo 4 has better lighting that halo 1".

As long as they keep expanding how we play I don't see them "failing". Especially with the BC and support for multiple controllers. PS4/Next will probably kill all B/C because their hardware will be so new.

Back