Anyone still think Wii U will "win" "next gen"?

Will Wii U be the best selling console over MS and Sony's offerings?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Because it's being replaced! WiiU isn't being replaced and will be in production for the next 4/5 years. PS3 is being replaced probably next year and within another year it probably won't be a viable platform for larger budget titles as its userbase goes down. A huge chunk of ps3 owners will be upgrading to ps4 won't they? Did Xbox game sales continue strongly the year after 360 launch? GC games after Wii Launch? Wii games will have stopped within the next year too.

As an example, I won't be buying ps3 games in 2014, assuming ps4 is out. I'll be buying ps4 games instead :D

If that wasnt the case, platforms would last forever and no one would invest in new ones!

On the flipside of your argument (that WiiU games will dry up as new platforms arrive) why doesn't that apply to the very platforms those new systems are replacing? At the very least WiiU will have its manufacturer (1st & 2nd party games) behind it. You aren't going to see Halo 5 or Uncharted 4 on ps360 are you? The systems are being replaced and that's the difference between their situation and WiiU. It matters not how their specs line up (in this respect anyway - it does matter in other areas and will negatively affect WiiUs 3rd party games in the long run imo)

We also have no idea how easy it will be to port from 720/ps4 to WiiU? There's no reason to think it will be as difficultas with Wii this gen. Not yet anyway.

Dreamcast was new and it was replaced by competing consoles.

Good points. I really do understand how that might happen - and I'm not saying it won't: I'm just saying it's too many ifs and buts on either side of the argument right now to say what's going to happen definitively, not to mention we're making a lot of assumptions only a week into WiiUs life. I'm just trying to argue the toss ;)
The WiiU will live by the success of its controller in the casual market but that is not all.
NIntendo has to create intensive for the family that own the Wii to jump into the WiiU environment.
Family have invested in quiet some peripherals along the years, they need news games on the WiiU that support those peripherals.
So far it looks like Nintendo have done a terrible job, imo there is not a single games that was strong on the Wii, that have received an upgrade version on WiiU. I'm speaking about games kids like like dancing games and so on. So far the focus is only on the tabpad, which doesn't support that kind of gameplay and party games.

They have to be a lot more active on that front. I think that on the specs alone they lost the "not that hardcore gamers", like me, that had genuine interest in the system looking at the whole pictures of what it offers (party game + wiimote, popular franchise, new gameplay with the padtab, convenience with the padtab, etc.).

I've no concerns for the holiday season, I share Patcher's pov more or less they will sell all the units they are producing. But down the line, they have to make clearer to the intended demographic they (stupidly imo, they cut them selves from "not picky" core gamers by making dreadful design choices...) restricted the system to is well aware that the WiiU is another Wii, and provide new wii like games.

The sad matter of fact is that in my view the new gamepad provides (mandatory launch gimmick aside) provides more benefits to the core gamers that to the original Wii demographic. They have to get developers to continue developing Wii-like games.

Overall I think that Nintendo seems late to the party wrt to software. I don't predict a disaster for them but something along the line of the GC (in market share not units sold).

WiiU is caught between two generations in terms of its capabilities and time of release. It now gets the games that will be released on both the 360 and PS3 since its technically in similar levels but what will happen once the next gen platforms arrive?
Bingo. Right now, it's in a pretty good spot of being able to accept ports from the other two systems. But there won't be any ports of PS4/XB720 games... they'll have to make them exclusive to the WiiU, just like they make them exclusive to the Wii now.

As long as the PS360 generation lives, WiiU will have a lot of third-party support, because they'll be able to develop for all three systems simultaneously. After that, they'll have to rely more on first-party, and exclusive content that utilizes the GamePad and Wii controllers.

There's no doubt that first-party and exclusive content won the Wii. It was absolutely a successful console. But the hype alone wasn't enough this time.. it's yet to be seen if the first-party and exclusive content can carry the WiiU the same way it carried its predecessor. I'm not going to say it can't.. Mario and Zelda are powerful entities in this market, but we'll have to see if it will be enough.

As long as the PS360 generation lives, WiiU will have a lot of third-party support, because they'll be able to develop for all three systems simultaneously.
That's not a given. Wuu is a tiny fraction of the market, and the costs involved in porting may well make it financially unviable. Especially when you add PC to the cross-platform market. It'll be like targeting Blackberry for a cross-platform app. It's just not worth the effort for many devs.

Bingo. Right now, it's in a pretty good spot of being able to accept ports from the other two systems. But there won't be any ports of PS4/XB720 games... they'll have to make them exclusive to the WiiU, just like they make them exclusive to the Wii now.

As long as the PS360 generation lives, WiiU will have a lot of third-party support, because they'll be able to develop for all three systems simultaneously. After that, they'll have to rely more on first-party, and exclusive content that utilizes the GamePad and Wii controllers.
Only if WiiU starts selling like hot cakes.

But here is what I believe will happen if it does not
PS3/360 games doesnt sound like a good enough reason for people to convert to he WiiU. The tablet is no longer the easy control medium the Wiimote was either.
This means, that userbase may not be seeing a fast enough growth. If the WiiU does not see a substantial userbase, devs may not be interested to support it a lot especially if they dont want to mess with the complexity of trying to come up with ideas to support the tablet. The PS3 and 360 are safer platforms to sell until the next gen consoles are released. Also after the end of this year dont expect many new and big third party games to arrive. They will be shifting focus for the next gen consoles. They want to be ready.
That alone suggests already a stagnation of support for the WiiU and the current consoles. Not good for a console that was just released

Once the next gen consoles are released and the WiiU userbase hasnt grown enough, first party games alone are not enough. If your console sees the biggest support only from first party that suggests a dry out of games.
Saturn and DC had first party support. Especially the DC probably had the biggest most awesome first party library ever for its time. 3rd party support abandonment was a nail to the coffin

The WiiU is not like the Wii which was released simultaneously with the other consoles as something completely new.

possible, since we dont know what the ps360 looks like.
who in 2008 though that the ps3 would best the best selling comsole this gen?
bugger all, and look at whats happenings, (hint its gonna be number 1)

The problem is that Nintendo is going to have a much harder time escaping being thought of as just a gaming company when it's clear that anything hooking up to a TV really needs to do so much more. And I don't think Nintendo has the chops to do it.

Nintendo wants the WiiU to control your cable box, I will bet you hard money that Microsoft wants the next Xbox to BE the cable box and have full control of all your entertainment. They have the technology from Media Center, they just need to execute and stick it into a consumer device.

Want to share a bit more how you see that unfold and when?

Latest global sales figure have put PS3 slightly ahead of 360 despite 360's ~12 month head start, and this new slim PS3 should cause another spike in sales.

Wii has just killed the pair of them though when it comes to global sales.

Why do people think porting games are cheap? You basically have to make the game multiple times to tailor it to specific hardware. Unless you are EA you probably aren't going to have the capital to be making WiiU versions of your game when the real next gen comes around.

You still saw EA making Madden and Activision making COD for Wii but that's all you're going to get out of 3rd party support. Bridges have been burnt....Nintendo burnt those bridges. Nintendo makes hardware for Nintendo, not 3rd parties. Just look how F-ed up their "core" game pad is, the buttons are all in the wrong places....

This time next year, PS3 will be on the verge of becoming obsolete (in consumer terms) as its replacement will be a month or so away in theory. Who's going to buy a console for which games will likely stop being produced in the near future (2014 maybe?) They'll either be saving for a PS4/720 or buying a WiiU because it'll at least be around for a few more years and has some pretty unique features.

I dont agree at all. PS3/360 will receive mainstream software through 2015 at least. The shift away will be slower than from PS2

For Japan PS3 will be the the lead platform for years to come. It has enough power for Japanese market and pretty much no reason to drop it in favor of Wii U when it can easily run same quality software. Software sales would need to collapse vs Wii U

Ps2 was a phenomenon and was still selling incredibly strongly even at the end of last gen. Most of those sales since have been in countries with lower incomes where ps3 wouldnt have been viable (South American/African countries etc) You really think PS3 will do the same??

Yes exactly. PS3/360 will continue to sell to countries where PS2 continued to sell. But they will also sell a lot in western markets.

Wii U is squeezed between two Microsoft/Sony pricepoints. The old consoles and the new

This might sound crazy but its pretty much guaranteed Wii (yet to top 100M and now dead software wise) will be behind PS3/360 at some point in the future if those consoles stay in the shelves for next five years

Last edited by a moderator:
nintendo made money on wii hardware though, so even if the non gamers that bought them never bought another game it was still profitable, with wii u theyre going to have to get people to buy games or theyre going to do poorly. also without the hype wave that the innovative wii rode, its not going to sell nearly as well without some solid titles.

they should start throwing money at studios like 4a games, surely it would be in their best interests, and if nvidia can afford to do it so can nintendo.

Latest global sales figure have put PS3 slightly ahead of 360

Where do you pull that off? All I've seen is that MS announced 70M at the end of September and Sony announced the same 70M during this November

Wii has just killed the pair of them though when it comes to global sales.

Yeah Wii is about 30 million units in front still. PS4 coming out should start to slow down the sales of the third. If it continues to sell outside of the typical big markets, it's possible that it eventually reaches the Wii sometime in the quite distant future. Zed and Ken K can then pump their fists, while the world has moved on ages ago.

Yeah Wii is about 30 million units in front still. PS4 coming out should start to slow down the sales of the third.
I don't understand this argument. Why would anyone who's going to buy a $100-$150 PS3 in 2014/2015 going the change their mind when a $400 PS4 comes out? If you've waited that long for the price to become that cheaper, the upper end is surely immaterial to your buying choice.

I don't understand this argument. Why would anyone who's going to buy a $100-$150 PS3 in 2014/2015 going the change their mind when a $400 PS4 comes out? If you've waited that long for the price to become that cheaper, the upper end is surely immaterial to your buying choice.

A person who has waited for that long is not a market decider imo. Not this late in the game. I agree that PS4 and PS3 can serve different needs and customers after the PS4 has come out, but typically at around that point the older console loses steam on it's sales. I think PS3 has seen it's peak year already and is winding down as is 360. In reality I don't think there are too many real customers who have "waited". Low price point can encourage impulse buys and new blood comes into gaming anyway.

I do however think that those mentioned price points don't stop the more expensive unit from cannibalizing the older system. The price differential is not that big, and different financing options are available. People like to buy new stuff with debt.

When the new consoles come out and the devs starts to focus more and more on them, the demand of the old system starts to go down despite a lower price. PS2's best years were long before the PS3 came out, even if it has had pretty remarkable legs. I can see Sony still getting sales from different "less developed" territories, but I don't think those sales are going to matter much to us or what sort of games we will be getting. Once the PS4 comes out, the majority of big first party titles are going to be there.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Dg31wLLDpc&t=2m6s

This is great.

Lady: So.. Wii U is on par with current systems..
Reggie: Nah Wii U is much more graphically intense. Call of Duty looks dramatically better on Wii U

ModEdit:

Alternate link www.youtube.com/watch?v=137X2LcF-wM#t=2m8s
It is a bit pathetic when you think that a better design and possibly a couple of bucks may have allowed them to back up their claims in the real world...
I'm not sure those few bucks saved (putting aside the bad design) would be worth it in the mid term.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah Wii is about 30 million units in front still. PS4 coming out should start to slow down the sales of the third. If it continues to sell outside of the typical big markets, it's possible that it eventually reaches the Wii sometime in the quite distant future. Zed and Ken K can then pump their fists, while the world has moved on ages ago.

Because the new slim for PS3 generated a massive sales boost.... The super slim increased UK sales by 138% alone.... Some countries showed an even bigger increase in sales.

There's no doubt that at present time PS3 has sold more then 360 and as Sony will likely support PS3 longer then Microsoft will support 360 then PS3 could reach 100Milllion+

Back