Should MS pack Kinect as standard with every XB3? *spawn

Yes they should and I'd wager they absolutely will.

It makes the most sense going forward and considering their investment to date. Kinect will continue to evolve into more than just what we see now. I think beyond "differentiation" MS sees this as a way to get the future-box into more living rooms and continue to capture a larger (family) market.

my sister bought a Kinect
(I don't even own one)
with a new Xbox for exercise "games" and she loves it and now streams media as well. When it comes to gaming and technology, that is like a monkey buying an iPhone. ;)

No. The point of Kinect was to stop the Wii. MS has nothing to fear from Nintendo now, seeing as Nintendo seems to be going out of its way to destroy its own market. There's no reason to add costs now.

I can't believe people here are advocating kinect. What happen to if it's not broke don't fix it? Standard controllers is what the next gen consoles need not motion control or touch screen gimmicks. The only reason I want next gen consoles is for the graphical upgrade. All this one stop entertainment stuff that's being talked about is already accomplished on the 360.

It will have standard controllers. The two are not mutually exclusive. Kinect will allow for improved control of the many non-gaming features as well as some gimmicky motion control games, but you'll still be able to play COD with the regular controller.

It would be a neat idea, and it would be great for Sony and Nintendo since the basic price would go up.

But for every game that just doesn't have a real use for Kinect and either doesn't support it at all, or adds some gimmick feature it would be money out the window.

I have said it before, but everytime i see my kids play with this i am reminded off how exceptionally bad kinect is for anything but lazy controls.

Someone with knowledge should talk about tech, what is a good 2d/3d resolution, how much it cost, what can be done with that, how much will tax the cpu/gpu/ram. The two pages are more like arguing about sony using angel dust in the ps4.

Returning to the first post: should, will not.

I have said it before, but everytime i see my kids play with this i am reminded off how exceptionally bad kinect is for anything but lazy controls.

Kinect sport and dance central for me are killer application, i keep playng them and enjoy every time
Lazy controls but funny games, unfunny kinect games -> lazy developers

As some who watched the potential of EyeToy drop off the radar and fade to oblivion, and motion controls wither to little more than gimmicks, I don't want to see another incredible potential disappear in a puff of unimagination.
I totally agree with this. Although I'm not too interested in motion control personally, I can see that it can, if done right, lead to a paradigm shift. The only way for that to happen is for MS to fully commit to it.

I hope the new super x box will come in arcade and premium. arcade will not include kinect.

I already have kinect why I need another one? for those that don't have kinect can get the premium model.

with that condition, it give consumer a choice and making a lot of userbase for kinect.
then maybe Microsoft finally want to integrate the voice command EVERYWHERE.

currently it's very convinient that I can yell 'xbox play dragons dogma' while I walk to prepare drink or food and by the time it's ready, the game also already ready (the ultra loud DVD already stop screaming)

will be awesome if that voice command available system-wide and on all apps like video and music player

If it's not launching with Kinect 2, then things are different. I wouldn't pack in Kinect in every box as it just doesn't work in a lot of houses, so would be a complete waste. Kinect 2 needs to be suitably advanced and packed in to ensure it's used properly. If Kinect 2 launches later, it'll suffer the same fate as many other great techs - way more potential than anyone ever extracted from it.

I was thinking more about a console that is fully usable without kinect2, and a kinect2 that works better in small spaces and on the dashboard/multimedia duplicates regular functionality adding only some specific one.

No. The point of Kinect was to stop the Wii. MS has nothing to fear from Nintendo now, seeing as Nintendo seems to be going out of its way to destroy its own market. There's no reason to add costs now.

Kinect probably had a negligible role in stopping the Wii. I can think of several other products that likely mattered more than Kinect. Wii hype just faded as well as people let it sit and moved on. An improved Kinect packed in is probably irrelevant to Wii U. A new Kinect/new Xbox will probably be great for the stores as they expand across the US.

I totally agree with this. Although I'm not too interested in motion control personally, I can see that it can, if done right, lead to a paradigm shift. The only way for that to happen is for MS to fully commit to it.

Is there a reason they can't just include it in an optional SKU and it carry out the same effect?

There has been plenty of Kinect investment this gen and it's not standard in every box. I just see more harm than good forcing it on every potential buyer. The "new" factor of Kinect has worn off, interest and sales have tapered off, so I'm not sure how much value it would actually add to the overall package.

You don't want to add a microphone to the box, the noise levels would be horrible, and some people put their box behind glass or in a cabinet.
I also remember seeing this exact argument "it's simply too slow and inefficient compared to using a remote/controller." ten years ago, except it was "Consoles will never be any good for FPS games, the controller is just too slow and inefficient compared to mouse and keyboard"

And it still is :p

Kinect really should be standard on the next Xbox.

It's a very important part of Microsoft's future plans, from what I can gather. So...

And it still is :p

Funnily there was one really good FPS on console, it was Goldeneye 15 years ago ( :sweat: ) with just one ideally placed joystick, buttons on the right acting as a d-pad and a great additional aiming mechanism / strafing forth-and-back out of a corner.

This beats "press x to cover" and imprecise aiming, they didn't need to pace the game with "press x to not die" cutscenes either.

Back