What, no thread about the official Wii U release date and prices?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'll tell you how long it last once I get one ;p
Didn't even bother about it, worst case scenario I'd plug it in.

Just for games.

Also a quick note as I was checking Wii's classic controller (reminescent of the SNES one) and the new Wii U one, I noticed that the Wii U "pro" (silly name) controller has the same layout as the mablet does, so games can restrict their control scheme to a "classic" one w/o fear.
(Interested people would just buy the "pro" pad as it's lighter/better for such control scheme.)
(Obviously not all games need be using all console features.)

How pathetic, a tablet with SD resolution, no onboard processing, ancient resistive touch tech and it only has a battery life of 3 hours. I wonder how the fanboys can stand Nintendo's relentless penny pinching.

What do they expect you to do, wait 2.5 hours for the battery to charge again? Can you use the controller while it is charging? How long is the charging cable.

SD - So the iPad one is now considered unacceptable?

On board processing - So you want to pay the cost of a PS3 + Vita?

Resistive - Hmm, I've played zero games that use multitouch on my iPhone but lots that use accuracy of a stylus.

3 hours? Maybe they expect you to stop after 3 hours :)

Us "fanboys" can stand the penny pinching because of the good price and the fact that it will be perfectly good for gaming, AND have great features in the GamePad.

I assume you game on nothing other than a top of the line, super expensive PC? If not, then how can you stand the penny pinching?

Again, they should just have made it work with other tablets. I know, no physical controls.

But if you wanted physical controls, they shouldn't have done this stupid WiiPad controller in the first place.

Doubt they could get lag free 60fps gaming over a standard protocol.

Well, you do have quite a nice fps controller built into the WiiPad....

Yes, that's the obvious benefit, and it has the same layout as the additionnal gamepad, meaning it's zero risk to use these controls.
I was just commenting on the iPhone games not requiring multi touch.

Resistive - Hmm, I've played zero games that use multitouch on my iPhone but lots that use accuracy of a stylus.

Us "fanboys" can stand the penny pinching because of the good price and the fact that it will be perfectly good for gaming, AND have great features in the GamePad.

I assume you game on nothing other than a top of the line, super expensive PC? If not, then how can you stand the penny pinching?

Doubt they could get lag free 60fps gaming over a standard protocol.
Has it even been tested or shown yet with no wires?

The iPad 1&2 are 1024x768, which is HD (has a vertical resolution of greater than 720p) and is more than twice the resolution of the WiiU controller display.
My point was that despite having no onboard processing, the battery life is still abysmal.

Please, a lot of iPhone games use multitouch gestures and hardly anyone plays on their iPhone using a stylus.

And the problem with resistive touch tech is not that just it doesn't support multitouch but that it is simply not as responsive as capacitive tech (you have to actually physically depress the screen for one). And as a longtime user of PDAs before the iPhone was released, I can attest to how much better touch works on capacitive displays.

Please don't spin penny pinching into a feature - that should be up to the customer to discern.
What about if you want to have a gaming party and play multiplayer with friends or if your brother wants to play when you finish your session.
Actually, the price seems to be quite expensive considering what your getting, especially when you can buy Android tablets that are cheaper than a replacement gamepad despite having capacitive displays, onboard processing (so you know, you can actually use it more than 10 meters away from the Wii U and when the console is off) and reasonable battery life.

A complete non sequitur, to avoid being miserly doesn't entail being profligate.

Would like to point out

Wii U - 6.2 800x480 resolution = ppi 150.48
Ipad 1/2 - 9.7 1024x768 resolution = ppi 131.96
surface pro 10.1 1920x1080 = ppi 218.11
Surface rt 10.1 1280x768 (rumor) =ppi 147.79
Ipad 3 9.7 2048x1536 =ppi 264.

The wii u pad doesn't seem that far away from some of these other devices and considering that all these other tablets cost more than the wii u complete package thats not a bad deal.
I mean i'd love to get a 6 inch 2048x1536 screen on the wii u but at the same time i don't want to spend $1k on the wii u .

It's the same as the PSP Go, roughly (145dpi). Not bad, not great. But I've seen the display live, and it's also just not a really hot display. The iPad 1/2 I also hated the resolution of personally (I held off for that reason until the iPad 3), but their IPS screens still look really nice.

Of course, while it's basically a really cheap Android tablet style display, it also competes only with the likes of those, so it doesn't matter that much. And I do agree that the use of a stylus that has half-decent precision can be a plus for quite a few things, especially for gamers coming from a DS and who are used to it. Also, having a terrible viewing angle is a bonus for if you have games where other players shouldn't be able to see what you're doing there. ;)

The Vita doesn't just have 220dpi, but it is also a really nice looking OLED screen. Sure, not the best, but good enough - when playing back youtube movies on it, its stands out well even against the iPad 3.

The recharging thing doesn't sound great - those kinds of things can hold back a system very much. I will assume you can play while recharging - if not, then that would be a very grave mistake.

By the way, people worry about lag on the Vita, but if you use the Vita the way most games I've seen using it, where the Vita takes care of its own graphics and communicates over blutooth like a controller, you get as much lag as you'd get from a dualshock 3, basically. I've played All Stars at gamescom using the Vita as a controller and I could look at the PS3's screen and there was no difference between using the Vita or a PS3 controller. So the principle would work.

But streaming video from the PS3 to the Vita isn't going to be as good an experience as the same concept on the Wii, I think. Remote play works quite well with a few games now, but a) not all games will support it, b) it isn't lag free (though pretty decent apparently, still have to try it myself) and c) that runs at a 720x480 resolution for those games that support Vita streaming directly.

If it worked for the iphone5 it will work for anything sold in the US.

Anybody know if I can play a wii game on the controller screen? the ones that support the classic controller at least. NMH2

Last edited by a moderator:
If it worked for the iphone5 it will work for anything sold in the US.

Anybody know if I can play a wii game on the controller screen? the ones that support the classic controller at least. NMH2
Wii, Wiiware, and VC games run in Wii mode, which disables Wii U functions, much like GC games on Wii disabled Wii functions. So you won't be able to play them on the Gamepad screen. That must also mean they're either emulating a Wii controller for the Gamepad's button, gyro, and D-pad inputs, or Wii mode is using an extension of a Wii firmware with support for new controllers and that I/O is transmitted over BT like Wiimotes.

Wii, Wiiware, and VC games run in Wii mode, which disables Wii U functions, much like GC games on Wii disabled Wii functions. So you won't be able to play them on the Gamepad screen. That must also mean they're either emulating a Wii controller for the Gamepad's button, gyro, and D-pad inputs, or Wii mode is using an extension of a Wii firmware with support for new controllers and that I/O is transmitted over BT like Wiimotes.

That is really lazy of nintendo. But I guess they want to ensure 100% compatibility and no extra bug testing. :(

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back