Firefox 4

this is how I have mine.

http://img34.imageshack.us/f/68359086.png/

I didn't like FF4 initially, but it's growing on me. The only reason why I didn't like it, was because I've always had FF setup a certain way and FF4 forced me to reconfigure my top bars. After some configuration, it's pretty much how I had it before, but it takes up less space now with the new tab system and the fact that I can remove the bottom status bar because of the popup when you hover over a link. I have a flash downloader add-on that was in the status bar at the bottom, but FF4 lets me move that icon wherever I want, so I have it in the top right.

Yeah I tried that but need the menu too often so I had more of a fiddle with customisation & came up with this:

Edit: Since I just noticed, is now minus the Homepage icon.

I used to put everything in the menu bar too, but in FF4, it makes that area semi-translucent because of the aero theme and a bit smaller. On my HTPC, it's a bit difficult to see, so I'm forced to use the navigation bar. I hardly use the menu bar anyway; the only thing I really used in the menu bar, was bookmarks, but I added a bookmark icon in the nav. bar.
With tabs on top, it puts them beside the orange firefox dropdown box so it barely takes up any space. Then by removing the status bar at the bottom, it gives me quite a bit more room.

Hmmm, with the ability to put tabs on bottom (yay) it looks like you could make the UI look like IE 7/8. I may have to give that a try as IE 7/8 had the best browser UI I've ever used. Such a shame that IE 9 has such a horrible UI.

Regards,
SB

Tried and now converted. Only concern I have with FF4 is memory problems...

Hmmm, with the ability to put tabs on bottom (yay) it looks like you could make the UI look like IE 7/8. I may have to give that a try as IE 7/8 had the best browser UI I've ever used. Such a shame that IE 9 has such a horrible UI.

Regards,
SB

It is getting worse from each IE iteration, although I think IE8 I liked a lot. But not really surprising given it is MS product :devilish:

I thought IE5/6 UI was excellent, only lacking tabs (hell win95 was full of tabs in control panels already).
it was really great having a lightweight fast browser, best-in-class file manager (in win 9x/2000) and seamless ftp client as a same program that turns into one of its avatars when you hit ALT-D and typed shit in the address bar.

lack of security and tabs killed it, and I switched from IE5 to Firefox 0.5
IE7 was about 6 or 7 years late and looked like some Windows Media Player 7 and lost all the point.

I've been on Chrome for quite a while now and one thing I love about Chrome that I hated about Firefox that new releases don't break extensions. Since I've been using Chrome, even with bleeding edge betas, I have never had an extension stop working when I upgraded. Is this issue still present with Firefox?

most certainly, yes.
but mozilla is pushing for a new extensions system called "Jetpack", based on javascript, css stuff etc.
this is similar, or the same thing as the Chrome's extensions, so they are likely not to break and maybe not to require a restart.
It caused a flaming drama on slashdot back then but I believe both kinds of extensions will coexist.

most certainly, yes.
but mozilla is pushing for a new extensions system called "Jetpack", based on javascript, css stuff etc.
this is similar, or the same thing as the Chrome's extensions, so they are likely not to break and maybe not to require a restart.
It caused a flaming drama on slashdot back then but I believe both kinds of extensions will coexist.

OK, thanks.

I've been on Chrome for quite a while now and one thing I love about Chrome that I hated about Firefox that new releases don't break extensions. Since I've been using Chrome, even with bleeding edge betas, I have never had an extension stop working when I upgraded. Is this issue still present with Firefox?

Not in this particular case, since FF4 was in beta for what, a year? Since Mozilla is now refocusing to do many smaller, incremental updates, well...I guess that could go either way with regard to extensions. In any case, it seems like we're nearing a browser singularity point, whereafter you could randomly open any browser and not be able to tell the difference ;).

By the way, is anyone getting crazy flash player 10 crashes in FF4? I got one that ramped up my CPU/GPU clocks to max, I had to logout of windows to get things back to normal.

the only thing I really used in the menu bar, was bookmarks, but I added a bookmark icon in the nav. bar
Oh, duh :oops: also Undo Close button to make it a deal for me.

Yeah I know about that but fairly often its not the last closed tab I want back so I need the recently closed tabs list.

Yeah I know about that but fairly often its not the last closed tab I want back so I need the recently closed tabs list.
Ah, yes. That's fine. You could just undo a lot of tabs, but the list is very nice to have in some circumstances.

Hmmm, is that a big problem on FF? I mean does it happen often? If so...

most certainly, yes.

Maybe I'll wait until this "Jetpack" system becomes more entrenched before I give FF a try again. I think last time I used it was back in 2003 or 2004.

Regards,
SB

Back