Firefox 4

hoom

Veteran
Well its out & there is no thread :???:

I've switched to it (yay, Adblock!) having been using Chrome lately due to FF 3.6 & the FF 4 betas being unstable at least with the number of tabs I use.
Of course, I've been using far fewer tabs in Chrome so probably would have been OK if I'd managed to trim down some of those tabs...

Anyway, its been pretty solid for me so-far. No crashes at all.

Only real problem I've had is a few times when closing several tabs in a row quickly it seems to loose track of one, leaving the tab on tab bar but un-clickable.
Goes away after restarting the browser.

For me a nice change is it doesn't auto-reload all your tabs on starting the browser, others with less tabs/faster connections may not like that so much though.

Tab Groups are sweet, though the interface seems to be pretty laggy for me both at home with lots of tabs & with the crappy work PC.

Tabs on top is somehow more of a PITA than in Chrome but they do have an option to put them back.
Hmm, just discovered if you disable Menu bar it goes more Chrome with tabs in title bar = takes less vertical space which is better.
Gonna try this out for a while.

App Tab pinning gives you a permanently open tab available on all tab groups.
For me I've just got Wikipedia there at the moment though.
Most other stuff is split out into topic based groups.
Might have some better use for it at work though.

Just as an aside, you do know that Adblock has been available for Chrome for quite some time, right? As is NoScript and the like...

Almost every browser (probably every?) has automatically loading your previously used tabs back as an option. FF4 is a new install probably and for some reason has it off currently, when you previously had the option enabled I presume.

Seems to slightly blur everything with a AA filter. Not sure if I like the effect or not. Really noticeable on the menu at the top of Beyond3D main page.

Seems to slightly blur everything with a AA filter. Not sure if I like the effect or not. Really noticeable on the menu at the top of Beyond3D main page.

Try turning off hardware acceleration. It's in the Advanced > General tab.

Its not failing to load the tabs, just it fills the tabs with the local cached version rather than reloading the latest version of the net.
This is good for my data cap & bandwidth. With unlimited data & better connection speed I'd probably be annoyed.

you do know that Adblock has been available for Chrome for quite some time
Actually no :oops:
Last time I looked (quite a while back) it wasn't & I guess I presumed Google was denying it.

Try turning off hardware acceleration. It's in the Advanced > General tab.

That was it, thanks. All the fonts look normal now as well. Whilst I'd rather have hardware acceleration on, it shouldn't blur everything so much.

That was it, thanks. All the fonts look normal now as well. Whilst I'd rather have hardware acceleration on, it shouldn't blur everything so much.

I cannot agree enough with this. I don't know what they're doing to the fonts, but it's annoying as hell.

I cannot agree enough with this. I don't know what they're doing to the fonts, but it's annoying as hell.

You haven't perchance configured some kind of fixed AA in your graphics driver, have you?

I don't have MLAA, or any AA forced on though, everything in my CCC is app default.

I believe they would have to work with AMD on making sure the DirectDrive acceleration renders the fonts properly. For the moment I'm leaving it off.

I don't have MLAA, or any AA forced on though, everything in my CCC is app default.

I believe they would have to work with AMD on making sure the DirectDrive acceleration renders the fonts properly. For the moment I'm leaving it off.

That's weird, because everything works fine for me until I enable morphological in the CCC, and then the text gets blurry. As soon as I disable MLAA, everything goes back to normal. I guess AMD need to have a app profile that disables MLAA for Firefox 4.

That's weird, because everything works fine for me until I enable morphological in the CCC, and then the text gets blurry. As soon as I disable MLAA, everything goes back to normal. I guess AMD need to have a app profile that disables MLAA for Firefox 4.

What Cat version are you using? I'm on 11.2 atm.

I haven't seen the blur myself. I've used FF4 on a couple of modern Radeons , GeForce GTX 560 and 6150, and my Intel GMA 900 EeePC. I did notice that the fonts look a little different in both FF4 and IE9 compared to IE8 and FF3.x. I'm assuming font rendering has been changed with the new browsers. Safari also has its own font rendering look.

The EeePC is on XP and I'm sure it doesn't support the hardware acceleration so I think the fonts look like FF3.5.

I think FF4 is excellent. It is noticeably faster than FF3.x on the Eee and I get to keep my autohiding bookmarks sidebar and the best fullscreen mode out there. Otherwise I'd have moved to Chrome, but FF4 feels as fast as Chrome to me.

I've used Seamonkey 2.1 beta on a few computers, including a slow one (celeron at 600MHz). it's Firefox 4 with a old-style GUI, really good. (unless for the flash blocking extension not working)

I ran firefox 4 RC on the old machine too, ubuntu 10.10 but not the default desktop, I was confused at the looks - it didn't look like the windows version, which is a clone of Opera.

not too much bothered I will use either browser depending on the mood or situation :)

MozBackup 1.5 is here with some bugfixes and with support of Firefox 4.0.
http://mozbackup.jasnapaka.com/

MozBackup is a simple utility for creating backups of Mozilla Firefox, Mozilla Thunderbird, Mozilla Sunbird, Flock, SeaMonkey, Mozilla Suite, Spicebird, Songbird and Netscape profiles.

It allows you to backup and restore bookmarks, mail, contacts, history, extensions, passwords, cache etc. It's an easy way to do Firefox backup, Thunderbird backup ...

Starting to appreciate Firefox 4.0 more and more. It's a genuine speed-boost, with all the other advantages (almost flawless compatibility, where Opera/Chrome sometimes still have issues with some of our company sites).

But what I do really miss is the start-page. I can't find out how to set your new Tab window to show something like the frequently visited tiles you have in Opera, Chrome and Safari (and now also IE9 I think, but I can't run that on this laptop)

I'm liking it more as well :LOL:
it's excellent for > 10 year old computers as well as a lightweight VM.
replacing the status bar with a tooltip on the bottom when mousing over a link is an excellent change.

about the linux weirdness, I've found out that the menu bar is enabled by default (good thing as far as I'm concerned) and then the looks vary a lot because they're tied to the gtk theme.

here ff4 looking very plain, but very clean :
http://img847.imageshack.us/img847/4365/screenshot201103290403.png

using 131MB with eight tabs, which is decent enough.

Back