New Edge browser has much better memory management than Chrome

Discussion in 'PC Hardware, Software and Displays' started by Sycologist, Sep 7, 2020.

1. Sycologist

Newcomer

Just recently I switched to the new Chrome based Edge browser and noticed a huge improvement in memory usage. I don't know what the software engineers at MS did but it's genius. Chrome has been my goto browser for the last 5+ years but for some reason it has a really bad memory leak issue on my PC. If I open up a single browser window with about 50 tabs it use about 25% of system memory, but if I leave it open and use it for a week or two the memory climbs to a ridiculous 98%. At that point I have to close the browser AND reboot Windows! If I don't reboot, the memory is not reclaimed by Windows after closing the browser. With the new Edge there's very little memory leakage if any at all. So now I'm using Edge almost exclusively for browsing.

2. Remij

Newcomer

Yep, I made the switch from Chrome to the new Chromium based Edge a few months back.. and needless to say, I'm glad I made the switch. To me it feels more responsive and quicker.. it uses less memory, and has much better features coming. All the extensions I use work and everything syncs perfectly. It was as painless as possible to move over, and I'm not looking back.

It's also extremely nice to simply have a great browser built right into Windows 10.

This isn't the first thread I've read of people switching from Chrome to Edge either.

pharma and Sycologist like this.
  3. orangpelupa

orangpelupa Elite Bug Hunter
    Legend Veteran

yeah chrome is heavier and heavier despite google keeps saying they made it leaner, more optimized, etc.
    Unfortunately I saved tons of info on chrome/google, and fully switching to Edge would need me to move all those info, and i didn't have the urge to do that.

I wonder if its a simple 1 click "import"?

hmm. i should use this chance to use 3rd party password manager instead of chrome's

4. hoom

Veteran

The Great Suspender is a good way to keep Chrome memory use in check for those of us with large numbers of tabs.
    They're supposedly working on integration of similar tech but more hidden, not sure if any of it is actually on by default yet.

BRiT likes this.
  5. Sxotty

Legend Veteran

I think you can import. You may as well try. I like edge myself.

orangpelupa likes this.
  6. Sycologist

Newcomer

Yeah you can import and it's very easy keeps your passwords too. This was why I switched over so fast. It was very seamless.

7. digitalwanderer

digitalwanderer Dangerously Mirthful
    Legend

I still prefer FireFox, I feel old but good about it. :p

TheAlSpark and Sycologist like this.