Epic Says This Is What Next-Gen Should Look Like

To be honest, this is more inline with what I hope next gen looks like:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eia-v1JUfEg&hd=1

Combined with the best realtime HDR I've seen:

19.jpg

07.jpg

http://www.daionet.gr.jp/~masa/rthdribl/

So, this tech is for next gen consoles ! Hmm....we already have realtime radiosity on the current gen consoles ! I was expecting more for next gen. This tech demo looks as "static" as current UE3 games. We want more dynamic stuff there Epic. Not just more polys and higher res textures.

No, they are all old gen console engines with boosted LOD and easily downgradeable shaders ... the next gen bit is just marketing, they are still being sold to develop games on the old ones.

Any true next gen engine would NOT be cross platform at the moment, it would be portable ... but it would be single platform, because there is only a single next gen platform.

No, they are all old gen console engines with boosted LOD and easily downgradeable shaders ... the next gen bit is just marketing, they are still being sold to develop games on the old ones.

Any true next gen engine would NOT be cross platform at the moment, it would be portable ... but it would be single platform, because there is only a single next gen platform.

Well, judging from how capable said HW is i'm not sure i could really call it "next-gen", probably not even current gen ;-)

Aren't we supposed to be smart enough on this forum to understand a few things about PR and bullshots by now?
For the purposes of our discussions, we know the difference between a publicity shot and the in-game experience
Well frankly no, look at examples in this+other threads of posters with over 1000 posts claiming a bullshot as 'ingame', You may think that b3d has a 'better class' ;) of poster (perhaps they do, since this is the only nongame-dev forum I goto) but lots here cant tell the difference
I will continue to expose any company that 'misleads'.
I agree with what some others have posted, Next gen I hope to see more dynamic environments. Rendering quality has improved by orders of magnitude in the last 20 years, but interaction hasnt changed that much. I was playing games 27 years ago where you could drag a chair around stand on it etc. OK this is a very difficult problem but still we've made bugger all improvements.

will agree with you, but UE3 gets a bit annoying because until the last version it has been console unfriendly.

UE1; This was unique and incredible back in the day. In fact I preferred Unreal graphics to Quake 2 graphics, because of things like the reflections that displayed in the main screen of the game --the 3D scenery was pretty cool. Unreal was also a good game, featuring alien creatures similar to Halo elites, pacific native odd inhabitants with four arms, birds in the sky.., and some fun weapons.

Back then I didn't know anyone who preferred Quake 2 to Unreal graphically. The MP in Unreal 1 was kind of meh, but the tech and campaign were great IMO.

UE2: I only enjoyed it while playing Unreal Championship on the Xbox. It looked to me as one of the most advanced Xbox 1 games out there, graphically wise.

It looked good, but had frame rate problems IIRC.

at least it allowed them to do that awesome sequence where they locked you in, turned of the lights and then unleashed a Skaarj on you...
(still, meeting the first Shambler in Quake 1 was a lot more scary, three of us have been sitting in front of the PC and we were completely shocked by it...)

While reading your post about memories in Unreal 1, this sequence popped in my mind instantly. Loved this moment and nearly shat myself when I played it for the first time.

Gotta wonder if they're planning any more upgrades for the current round of consoles. The displacement mapping/tessellation is certainly out of the question. Hopefully they'll have the GDC material up on UnrealTechnology.com soon.

I honestly question how much further they can go with the current round of consoles.

I agree with what some others have posted, Next gen I hope to see more dynamic environments. Rendering quality has improved by orders of magnitude in the last 20 years, but interaction hasnt changed that much. I was playing games 27 years ago where you could drag a chair around stand on it etc. OK this is a very difficult problem but still we've made bugger all improvements.
This is what I think will be important for the next generation. IK/physics based animation for everything and all visible objects actually being objects rather than everything being glued together.

Also tools to actually make it possible to build complex scenes without spending an eternity. Auto-generators, diverse object libraries etc.

You should be able to press a button and get a generic randomized house, with book cases with individual models for each book in it with realistic covers (pulled from a database with thousands of covers). Clothing closets filled with random sets of clothing (pulled from a database with hundreds of period appropriate pieces of clothing). Kitchen drawers filled with cutlery and a fridge/pantry with random food items etc. etc. As long as modeling has as much manual labour as last gen, next gen will never be able to fulfil it's promise.

Generator creation will be more important than modeling IMO.

Although somewhat cool, this demo really lacks the wow factor I felt back in the original UE3 reveals...

Not a good setting perhaps with all the dark.

But seems like it could make a really cool next gen game though. Hopefully maybe it's the next gen game they have in preproduction.

Interesting 3 page Mark Rein interview about this demo at 1up, a few days old but it hasn't been posted here.

http://www.1up.com/features/interview-epic-next-gen-plan?pager.offset=0

1UP: You called this video a "love letter to hardware manufacturers." And on the PC side that makes sense to me, but for consoles it seems like Sony, Microsoft, and Nintendo would prefer for this kind of footage to not exist yet, since it takes attention away from their current hardware. Do you disagree?

MR: I do disagree. I mean, at some point in time, they're going to build new hardware. It's as simple as that -- that's just the way things work. So I think it's good for them to have things like this to show what the software developers are ready to produce. If you give us a piece of hardware that lets us do this effect and that effect and this other effect, we'll show you that the technology is here to do that now. I actually think that's really important. We pushed Microsoft that way with Gears of War -- I don't know if you remember the infamous story of the 256 megabyte versus 512 megabyte screenshot that we sent them. We basically created a set of screenshots to show Gears of War on two different hardware specs, and luckily, they went for the better one. So I think it is important to show them that your money is not going to be wasted if you put this kind of hardware together.

Does the trailer have a specific title? I can't view kotaku at work but I wouldn't mind checking the video out on Youtube. Thanks.

Seems to be kotaku exclusive for the moment. Guess we'll have to wait a bit for the youtube version.

------------

It's a little funny to see cascade shadowmaps being pimped in there alongside the rest of the features. :p

Back