AMD: Southern Islands (7*** series) Speculation/ Rumour Thread

Not enough memory, quite obvious. Partner boards may end up their best option though, they just seem to have less of an impact on the market and the product lines "standing".

Lul. 3 8-pin power connectors. Crazy. Btw, where does that middle fan vent its air, considering the shroud pretty much blocks the sides...?

Lul. 3 8-pin power connectors. Crazy. Btw, where does that middle fan vent its air, considering the shroud pretty much blocks the sides...?

They want to work on Asus Mars feet it seems with thoses 3x 8 pin ( who is completely overrated untill you go for crazy OC ) ..

Last edited by a moderator:
AMD June Update: Catalyst monthly drops gone, higher clocked 7700, more free games

2hg8f1z.jpg

Is that actually an "up" in reference clocks or just reflecting the market situation that products clocked accordingly are readily available from AMD's partners?

I'm really looking forward to more GCN-optimized titles though - have just bought myself a 7970. :D

Last edited by a moderator:
Is that actually an "up" in reference clocks or just reflecting the market situation that products clocked accordingly are readily available from AMD's partners?

I'm really looking forwar to more GCN-optimized titles though - have just bought myself a 7970. :D

Max Payne must be.. I Vsynced it to 120 Hz. ;)

AMDs 7750 site states 900MHz reference clock.

Anandtech reports a higher TDP and external power connector for the 900MHz 7750: http://www.anandtech.com/show/5881/amd-announces-a-new-900mhz-radeon-hd-7750
Correct. The 7750-900 is a brand new reference design from AMD (and should have been a new SKU) that partners can use; 7750-800 or 7750-900, their choice. 1.1GHz 7770s are just a reflection of the fact that AMD's partners have factory overclocked 7770s on the market, so it's not a new product.

I wasn't aware they had updated their official site with the 7750-900 specs, so thanks for that AnarchX.

Some of new AMD cards + a bonus with the Asus Maximus

Asus HD7970 ROG Matrix

http://www.techpowerup.com/167184/ASUS-Shows-off-ROG-Matrix-7970-Graphics-Card.html
ASUS showed off its newest high-end single-GPU graphics card, the Republic of Gamers (ROG) Matrix 7970. The card will be ASUS' addition to a new wave of highly-overclocked Radeon HD 7970 graphics cards (we're talking ≥25% factory-OC), by AMD AIB partners, to compete with GeForce GTX 680. ASUS did not disclose the clock speeds the Matrix 7970 ships with, but listed out its exclusive features, such as VGA Hotwire (read and control voltages at a hardware level), TweakIT (hardware voltage-speed control using buttons, one-push fan override), ProbeIT (voltage fan-speed monitoring points), a 20-phase Digi+ VRM with software control using GPUTweak software, and the software itself, which comes with a plethora of tweaking options.
Asus Maximus V

PCB of the extreme Little Devil 13 7970x2

http://www.techpowerup.com/167182/PowerColor-HD-7970-X2-Devil-13-Taken-Apart.html
Here are the first pictures of PowerColor's ambitious Radeon HD 7970 X2 Devil 13 dual-GPU graphics card taken apart. The pictures reveal a PCB that's both longer and taller than that of the HD 7970, to create room for two 28 nm "Tahiti" GPUs, a total of 24 GDDR5 memory chips (12 on each side), a PLX PEX8747 PCIe 3.0 bridge chip, and a VRM that consists of 5+2+1 phases per GPU system. The card draws power from three 8-pin PCIe power connectors. The VRM consists of solid-state chokes and Renesas Driver-MOSFETs. Display outputs include two each of DVI and mini-DP, and an HDMI. Each GPU system has a pair of BIOS'es (performance and failsafe).

Will a 7970 be able to play Watch Dogs? I read that the game is specifically made for next gen consoles. Looks good. And has me wondering what the next gen consoles will have.

Back