AMD: Southern Islands (7*** series) Speculation/ Rumour Thread

slide30fnp54.jpg

from obr

EDIT: lol all slides

i see AF fix slide!!!

From my understanding there shouldn't be a performance difference for a single card from PCIe 2 to PCIe 3. Any proof showing otherwise?
I always thought that PCIe 3 would be something for those PCIe SSD cards (forget the name of them).

From my understanding there shouldn't be a performance difference for a single card from PCIe 2 to PCIe 3. Any proof showing otherwise?
I always thought that PCIe 3 would be something for those PCIe SSD cards (forget the name of them).

There shouldn't, or only marginal (in some cases, PCIe 1.x x16 / 2.x x8 is limiting the performance already on single chip cards by couple %'s)

Yay, paper launch.
Is it? HD5 for example had quite limited quantities in beginning, but it wasn't paper launch by any definition

DieH@rd said:
Even though there will not be a lot of them on the market, at least we will get a tons of benchmarks and user impressions.
I'm all for an early launch for the same reason, what better way to spend the holidays going through benchmark data, but I fear for Charlie's savage reaction to a soft launch!

Also, according to the slide, 2048 steam processors, up only from 1560? Isn't that's a bit disappointing for a full node jump?

I understand that it's supposed to be more efficient (for compute loads at least) and there must be additional overhead due to ECC and various other compute features, but still. A trade-off between area for the 384-bit MC and shader core area? Going by the GTX 560 Ti 448 and GTX570 benchmarks, a lot of performance seems to be determined only by bandwidth, so this may be a sensible choice after all.

Also, according to the slide, 2048 steam processors, up only from 1560? Isn't that's a bit disappointing for a full node jump?

I understand that it's supposed to be more efficient (for compute loads at least) and there must be additional overhead due to ECC and various other compute features, but still. A trade-off between area for the 384-bit MC and shader core area? Going by the GTX 560 Ti 448 and GTX570 benchmarks, a lot of performance seems to be determined only by bandwidth, so this may be a sensible choice after all.
Yes, compute features do matter here much more. And don't forget that DP performance increase is much more that the plain difference in ALU count.

Is it sane to soften my expectations about a 20%-40% jump in performance rather than a 50%-70% performance jump?

Completely different architecture, you can't just compare counts ;)

Is it sane to soften my expectations about a 20%-40% jump in performance rather than a 50%-70% performance jump?
I'd expect closer to GTX590 than 580, but definately not above 590

Back