Playstation Move Games

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes, I mentioned that. Look at the PSEye's video feed in the device settings and it looks great, whereas in EyeCreate it's a mess. How does it compare in other Move games with embedded live feed?

I don't think they have time to post process live video feed for look.

EDIT:
You can already do that, it uploads the same as pictures off your mobile/camera except it goes under video instead of pictures.

Yap ! The mobile phone is treated like a digital camera.

The only real missing piece is network file access to read/share iTunes and WMP libraries.

Funny coincidence. The first thing I drew was a snail. The spiral came out almost by accident when I started playing with it, so instead of erasing and starting something new, I drew a whole snail.

Yeah, started as an accident for me as well. :LOL: It was the second or third thing for me, after the coffee/teacup, and a guitar I think.

ProStroke Golf Demo on the store today in EU (presume US as well), as well as the free Painamotion add-on pack for Pain, which should have some fun Move supported game modes.

Tried MAG a little bit last night. Initial experience is...scary! Control is very hard, harder than first learning a mouse or dual-stick. The take-home point is it isn't anything like a virtual gun. It's all relative positioning, meaning no aiming down the barrel of the Move. We had the Move in the official gun case but it was quickly apparent MAG isn't designed to work with that, as the controls need access to all the buttons, and the aiming doesn't benefit from it. Casual controls allows something of the experience I was hoping for, in that aiming is more point-and-shoot, although not being 1:1, you aren't pointing where you want to shoot with the Move, but moving the Move as if it were a mouse to position the aiming reticle. When you want to turn, it feels horrible. Also sniping becomes utterly stupid. The cursor position becomes a virtual thumbstick, using displacement from centre as a speed parameter for rotation. Thus you point at a target to the right and the aiming moves right, and continues to move right until you centre the centre the Move. By this time you've overshot, so have to aim left, and the camera swings left until you recenter. The whole thing feels very cumbersome and slow, as if the gun weighs a metric tonne and you've having to heavy it round and fight inertia. I can appreciate that mapping a scope view to a waggle controller is always going to be hard, and maybe there's no better way to do it, but I don't see MAG's implementation working at all well. Perhaps with reduced sensitivity and/or lots of practice, it'd be useable like a stick?

I can see convincing gamers of move controls in a shooter is going to be an uphill struggle. We're all used to dual-stick and can play a dual-stick game. Having to learn a new set of skills is more of a learning curve than most gamers want when they are looking for some downtime.

iWaggle has pointed out this sniping scope bug also. I don't know if they do it because otherwise it would just be too easy or if there's some other reason, but right now most people agree it doesn't seem right. Everything else though seems a matter of adjustment, and I'm hearing a fair number of players say that once they got used to it they never want to go back. Ymmv of course!

Oh, and did you use the default settings, the settings iWaggle used or changed them to your custom settings? There's a few gotchas in terms of setting the bounding boxes and rotation speed to be aware of (I think some of the bounding box settings seem to work in reverse, for instance)

Yes, it's difficult for me to get used to also. I did see a few GAFFers claiming that they adjusted to Move fairly quickly and never looked back.

Yes, it's a learned skills. I am better now. Can win most encounters unless I'm fighting against members in the top clans, can jump and run easily (less confused), but overall still a b*tch for me. I prefer DS3 for the moment.

Yes, the default MAG controls is difficult. Use iWaggle's recommendation and adjust from there !

Player rotation - 70
Player pitch - 30
Gesture sensitivity - 100 (you need to thrust the Move forward to perform knife attack - don't worry this wont cause unintentional knifing)
Scope sensitivity - 100
Normal play - 60 / 40 / 80
Fixed iron sights - OFF (If you have this to On you are doing it wrong)
Iron sights - 0 / 10 / 40

EDIT: Yes, I think they should create a specialized gun case for MAG and Socom-like schemes.

Shifty, are you guys still in Valor ?

ProStroke Golf Demo on the store today in EU (presume US as well)

I played it with a few Golfers on Sunday.

The thing is if you're already familiar with Golf, the game shines. The controls is spot on, but be careful of where you point your stick. If you lift your club when you swing, you'll miss the ball. You may also touch the ball accidentally when you turn your head to talk to your friends. The most difficult part is probably adjusting the power of your swing. ^_^

If you're not familiar with Golf, don't expect the game to teach you. Practise with a real Golf club and come back for more !

My Golfer friends happen to like it. The other hassle is that you need to imagine where the ball is. If you lift your head and talk, you may forget the original ball position. We used a marker for that.

Dr. Marks on controller vs camera gameplay:
http://blog.us.playstation.com/2010/11/03/eyetoy-innovation-and-beyond/

We already knew the limitations of camera-based tracking. Intelligent app design can sidestep these limitations and emphasize its strength. Even if voice recognition doesn't work well in general, it can still light up people's imagination. It can be useful in specific context.

In the future, we will do things with and without controller. Better talk less, and get on with it. ^_^

Sony, your partners' and your own supply chain are not keeping up. My nearest Target and GameStop are out of standalone Move controllers again. The bundles are selling and stocked fine. At this time of the year, there should be no stock out. The shopping craze hasn't even started yet.

[size=-2]Fine. Do you want our de-valued US dollars or not ? :devilish:[/size]

A rather "technical" review of Lights Out from iWaggle:

iWaggle interviews Lights Out lead designer to answer the questions he uncovers in his own tests:
http://www.iwaggle3d.com/2010/11/interview-fight-lights-out-coldwood.html

Very good questions !

Why is there no transparency in The Fight or, alternatively, a first person view?

First person is tricky but interesting, and we hope to return to it in the future, but it will require a lot of time and research to get right. Unfortunately it's one of those things that's great in theory but less great in practice, and personally I don't think it has ever been done well. There's a lot of issues that people might not think about, such as motion sickness. It's not a FPS with some mild head bobbing, you're ducking, dodging, weaving, spinning, getting hit and sometimes falling. So a straight up first person view is simply not a viable option, and creating a hybrid solution is a beast. Also, most animations tend to look kind of weird when viewed from a first person perspective, so many exclusively first person games tweak the animations to look good from that angle only. We can't do that, since the game uses YOUR real life actions, and it has to look good in third person as well (since we have split screen and online play).

Regarding transparency, we discussed having it as an option. But we run at 60fps, and making the character see-through would have had a negative effect on that, especially as we have to retain our framerate in both split screen and in 3D modes. Covering the screen with a big semi-transparent object will also cause a lot of sorting issues, since we have lots of other transparent things in the scene, such as light streaks. Also, because blocking is (mostly) automatic, as long as you keep your guard up, it didn't affect gameplay that much when the opponent got obscured, so frame rate was a higher priority. 60fps is pretty much a requirement for a game this fast paced to work. However, we're constantly looking at further optimisations, so who knows what the future holds :)

Why is there no fixed distance between the fighters so that the player wouldn't accidentally miss the mark or "overthrow" his punches? And most importantly, given the obvious lack of haptic feedback, wouldn't a fixed distance allow for every punch you throw to actually fly on-screen rather than be "nullified" by early collision detection? This gives the impression your moves are not registered…

Finally, what's up with head tracking being so unreliable?

Headtracking requires good lighting conditions to work well, so it is turned off by default. You want bright and even lighting (but not too bright), without too many shadows. If your room is too dark, or you have flickering fluorescent lights, or lots of moving stuff in the image (curtains, cats, what have you) chances are headtracking won’t work. A nice mix of natural light and home lighting works well, and if you have bright surrounding in terms of how your home is decorated even better. However headtracking can never be 100% due to so many different parameters. Light, background, movement etc. Also, it is best to have a wall behind you, if the camera is staring at a massive space behind you there are too many details which can get mixed as a result.

When headtracking is disabled our own leaning and ducking system (which is based on a kind of average of where the Move controllers are) works beautifully as a compromise, so you don't really lose anything if headtracking doesn't work, you can still bob and weave all you want :) Basically, it's a case of "great if it works, and no harm done if it doesn't".

I was going into shops looking for something to put my UMDs in since I don't use them enough to justify the shelf-space for the full boxes, and then I noticed The Fight and Singstar Dance already in the stores. I was a little surprised because amazon.de said something like 17 December!

I bought them both and tried SingStar Dance, and I quite like it so far. It'll take me a little while to get back into it and I'm very stiff (though the replays don't look so bad ;) ), and of course holding a Move controller isn't quite like something like Kinect, but other than that it feels good, and you get nice feedback when you're in the groove (matching the rhythm very closely). The dance routines seem high quality and really match the song very well (as was mentioned in an interview with the choreographer, he tried to put in as many moves that were also in the dance video as possible, stuff like that). Easy is already a bit of a challenge for me (not that you can fail), but I managed 7599 or so for Hey Ya, no doubt one of the easier songs.

As a nice bonus, the Ricky Martin song was already a youtube favorite of my 2,5yo son, and it was really nice (and cute as heck) to see him try to match the dance moves already! And of course all the full video recording stuff that was already in SingStar still applies and your dance is already included and can be saved, edited and put online and everything as usual. I saw one couple dancing to Lady Gaga in the online community video sharing already.

Look forward to The Fight. I was thinking that on-line, at least the complaint about the AI walking out of range doesn't hold up. I'm also interested to see how it feels that the game is running at 60fps. It seems to have come at a big cost (no transparancy) but still interested in seeing how it pans out.

Oh, and out of the several stores, this toy-store chain was the only one that actually had Move bundles available (apparently a bundle of them even, though I'm not sure as it did mention ask for them behind the counter, so they could be empty boxes) - they were sold out everywhere else still.

Yes, the default MAG controls is difficult. Use iWaggle's recommendation and adjust from there !
I was suggesting that, but we didn't have them to hand to try. We twigged about the aiming zones being back-to-front, and got point aiming to work, but I can see there's a lot of scope for tweaking, particularly slowing down the turn speed to beging with and then increase it as you adapt. Still, it's a seriously uphill struggle, and one I think you have to be a hardcore gamer to want to pursue with learning in the hopes of getting an upper hand. I was hoping for an intuitive, motion based interface that decreased the learning curve by making it what Joe Schmo would it expect it to be - run around with a gun and point at things to shoot them! I wasn't willing to invest the time and effort in developing delicate thumb controls to get headshots every time; I'm most certainly not that interested in taking some hours out to learn MAG as a shooter!

Shifty, are you guys still in Valor ?
Yep, although I don't know if I destroyed my character before selling the game. Yes, it annoyed me that much! :p

I was suggesting that, but we didn't have them to hand to try. We twigged about the aiming zones being back-to-front, and got point aiming to work, but I can see there's a lot of scope for tweaking, particularly slowing down the turn speed to beging with and then increase it as you adapt. Still, it's a seriously uphill struggle, and one I think you have to be a hardcore gamer to want to pursue with learning in the hopes of getting an upper hand. I was hoping for an intuitive, motion based interface that decreased the learning curve by making it what Joe Schmo would it expect it to be - run around with a gun and point at things to shoot them! I wasn't willing to invest the time and effort in developing delicate thumb controls to get headshots every time; I'm most certainly not that interested in taking some hours out to learn MAG as a shooter!

Yes. It's for hardcore gamers.

The iWaggle settings makes a whole lot of difference though. The default setting was disorientating for me.

The other way for them to position Move is to add new/alternate capabilities (Better communication and strategizing tools).

Yep, although I don't know if I destroyed my character before selling the game. Yes, it annoyed me that much! :p

:LOL: Yeah the game can be humiliating when the opponents are too good.
The strong clans would swarm right outside our spawn area and pick us off from many directions. :(

Had a game like that a couple of nights ago. It was infuriating and yet I couldn't do a thing against them.

EDIT: Oh yes, the best way is to abandon the spawn point and focus on weaker enemies. ^_^

But if your side is outnumbered, the system may switch you back to the old spawn point automatically. So you'll have to override it each time.

So I played a fair bit of The Fight now, and so far I'm actually quite pleased with it. The camera is only an issue in so far as that it is sometimes hard to see if you are doing a good body shot, although your opponent and sound does give you good feedback on that. The replay of my first match (which has decent options like viewing from all angles, pausing forwarding, etc.) showed that my body shots were way too low. Also, since my 'wing-span' is almost 2 meters, for calibration I sort of have to lean back if I were to do it properly, but you can fake it a little. This is one of the first games that gives an estimate on your size though based on two calibration moves.

The head-tracking doesn't work for me, as more or less expected. I may try again during the day, but the developers themselves basically indicated that they couldn't really do it for this game, also because of if you defend properly, your head will be mostly hidden (though I think from there you can probably still guess where the head is, if you take it further).

The training room is satisfying for me - I understand what I need to do (on the heavy bag do one-two's, and occasionally hit the red circle area when it pops up), using the movement of the bag properly and not missing - once you start missing, you fail out. It's a good exercise also for improving your spatial awareness. Same goes for the speed training, which realistically requires you to maintain a rhythm that suits the way the ball bounces, and you have a meter that stays in the green as long as you manage to keep the ball going. There's no faking it here, and once you get the skill down (I got it down very quickly at a pretty high pace) it simply relies on you to get tired. And trust me, you do! I still feel my arms, I think I lasted almost 4 minutes, and that netted me 13 skill points I could use on my fighter.

The walking around using the Move as a kind of joystick while pressing the Action/Move button (which you can conveniently use either hand for) works good and I look forward to more games using this for free roaming while keeping full 1:1 control for both hands available.

I also went online and there was no-one to play with yet, which is not a big surprise I think. However, the game gives you an opponent that doesn't defend himself while you wait, which is incredibly satisfying for just experimenting with all sorts of bloody hits. I do think though that this game has some very good potential for online - we'll have to wait and see how it pans out.

While they say they sacrificed a transparent character for 60fps, I have to say that the game often doesn't feel like 60fps - I think there are some real slowdowns occasionally.

Finally, Trejo as your trainer/instructor is a nice touch. He does a decent job, much better than most nonsense in videogames, and its fun to see him talk about/hold Move controllers and diss the alternative control scheme where you use a sixaxis for the second hand. :LOL:

The balance for the career mode is interesting, in that you have to fight to make money, and you need the money to do trainings that can net you skill-points to upgrade your character with. This balances the game, but whomever can do the training stuff better will faster upgrade their character, which is interesting.

So far, my impressions of this game are quite favorable. We'll have to wait and see how it lasts.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back