The non-standard game interfaces discussion thread (move, voice, vitality, etc.)

No man… read carefully. The woman comes with the mirror (Dumbbells sold separately).

It reminds me of Toshiba's Magic Mirror prototype. All they need is to hook up 2 PS3s to it and we'd have a makeup app.

No man… read carefully. The woman comes with the mirror (Dumbbells sold separately).

It reminds me of Toshiba's Magic Mirror prototype. All they need is to hook up 2 PS3s to it and we'd have a makeup app.

You and Shifty doing each others makeup, now there's a killer app. :p:LOL:

[Suck thumb]

SOLD !

EDIT:
And as there are no touchscreens or motion controls described, this doesn't really constitute an unconventional interface either!

It's hard to say. You can see in some scenes that the mirror reacts to the woman's arms (e.g., when she lifts the dumbbells).

There is also a bath scale, not sure if it's more sophisticated than the Wii Balance Board. Probably just a regular weighing machine.

Are you sure? My local Game in the UK has been 'guaranteed' 70 on launch day and therefore can fulfill 70 launch-day pre-orders, but can expect anything up to 150 Kinects on day one.

20 pre-orders for Gamestop sounds low to me, considering the USA is obviously the primary market for Kinect.

Yes some stores have more reserves. But all stores got 20 reserve limit. But like the garden state plaza which is a huge mall they have 2 stores in there and each of those stores were allowed 50. But the other 15 stores in the area were only allowed 20.

Remember this is day one stand alone units for $150. They are only expecting a few day delay between the first and second shipments btw

I'm sure they've just waited for the number to grow.
It been just a month it was released, I'm sure next week there'll be some PR announcement of Move sales.

Edit: Or probably they're just waiting to steal Kinect's thunder and release the numbers November 4th ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
What is there to wonder? Move is a very good product that does well what is promised.
I suppose also because PS2's Eye Toy was so popular here, and that PS3 EyePet was also quite popular and many PS3 owners already had the EyeCam for PS3, the treshold to move into Move was lower than perhaps it's in America, where EyeToy was never released and camera based motion gaming is still new.

....the treshold to move into Move was lower than perhaps it's in America....

Agree with everything you said there, with the addition that the threshold was also lower due to the bundle not including a game and therefore a lower initial entry price point.

The only word of caution I would advise is that the EU numbers are shipped-to and the US numbers (as I understand it) are sell-through.

I wonder why it is so much more popular in europe?
Massive popularity of Wii in the UK, and the success of Eyetoy, suggests a market more interested in new interfaces. I wonder if there's more of a social gaming element in Europe too? From the sounds of it the US has bought mostly single controller bundles, with some of those second Moves going to existing PSEye owners. You'd only need the same amount of bundles coupled with a second controller, and a few single for PSeye owners, to get the EU figure. Edit: And as rabid says, the relative price is much lower too. Although if Rotmm's right, the figures aren't at all comparable, but I dunno how you could determine that.

The only word of caution I would advise is that the EU numbers are shipped-to and the US numbers (as I understand it) are sell-through.

Welll considering that the Sony rep speaks of wanting to accelerate production i would assume that the sell-through numbers in EU are rapidly aproaching the shipped. I also think that alot of the noise we've heard recently from all over about retail and online store selling out also goes a little way to justifying this assumption.

Regardless however, it seems the MOVE is doing rather well and i'm quite happy about that as i feel it's a solid product and deserves great sales ;-)

My predictions:...

- I expect MOVE controllers will sell between 6-7 million units by next September
- I expect MOVE adoption amongst the core existing fanbase to cause an even greater up-tick in sales of already released MOVE compatible titles.
- I expect MOVE enabled new releases, e.g. KZ3 & InFamous 2 (right?) to sell better than the previous games in the series.
- I expect 3rd party support for MOVE, particularly within the CORE games franchises to increase rapidly in the next year and grow from there.

Because Sony is so much more popular in Europe!?

How does PS3 console sales compare between US and EU? Im pretty sure you wont see the same sort of ratio as you do with move, so i very much doubt it is just to do with brand popularity.

As has been suggested i think the starter bundle being only £50 is a big factor, it doesnt include a game but it does seem great value and is at just the right price for people to take a punt on it. Also simle differences in consumer tasts, things like singstar and buzz have traditionally done much better in EU aswel

Last edited by a moderator:
Agree with everything you said there, with the addition that the threshold was also lower due to the bundle not including a game and therefore a lower initial entry price point.

SCE tracks "sold to retailers" numbers and not shipped or manufactured numbers. Not as good as sell-through ones, but much better than the "shipped from factories" numbers we used to get from them years ago.

SCE tracks "sold to retailers" numbers and not shipped or manufactured numbers. Not as good as sell-through ones, but much better than the "shipped from factories" numbers we used to get from them years ago.

You're right. When I wrote "shipped" I meant "shipped to retail" (and of course, not "shipped from factory" as Sony used to do ;)) but you're right.

While Nintendo and Microsoft report Shipped to Retail figures, meaning the product is actually sitting on store shelves, Sony report Sold to Retail figures, meaning once they have an order from a store it is considered sold, even if that item isn't due to be delivered to the store for days or even weeks.

Which is another reason to not get overly excited by the EU launch figures.

That said, 1.5m EU sales, whether sitting in consumers homes, sitting on store shelves or even still sitting in distributon awaiting delivery, shows that there is a decent amount of consumer and, more importantly, retailer excitement for Move, which should ensure success.

How does PS3 console sales compare between US and EU? Im pretty sure you wont see the same sort of ratio as you do with move, so i very much doubt it is just to do with brand popularity.

In the US, it's about 33% PS3, 66% 360, in the EU it is about 50% PS3, 50% 360. So that's a huge difference - the PS3 EU market is larger than the US and Japan combined.

As has been suggested i think the starter bundle being only £50 is a big factor, it doesnt include a game but it does seem great value and is at just the right price for people to take a punt on it. Also simle differences in consumer tasts, things like singstar and buzz have traditionally done much better in EU aswel

That's definitely also true, and considerably more PS Eyes have been sold here as well.

Arwin has kindly provided some stats, I think overall there is around 17M units in each region, so you'd expect similar sales...unless there was a strong brand loyalty. I do agree (to an extent) regarding the starter pack prices - but TBH I can't think why anyone who buys the Move wouldn't want SC!? (and you can buy the bits seperately for about the same price in the US anyway @ ~$80)

Back