[PS3] Killzone 3

Status
Not open for further replies.
WeatherStation, Vektan Slums, The Docks and that one area inside the Bamboo forest which was all brown like R:FOM were the ones made me drool at the time :D ! In fact The Docks has pretty similar feel to KZ2 ! The Mall was really cool too , with all the white and baked GI ! KZ 1 was sure a looker, but gameplay was a little repetitive. But then, even though shooting felt tighter in Black, it was KZ that I finished , Black is still lying unfinished.
The only thing I didn't like in KZ 1 was the sound of guns.

Yeah the docks with the snipers on the cranes was cool. And the bamboo forest was as close to a modern day (COD) experience as you got at the time.

As for black... I really enjoyed that as well. I got it for my XBox though. There was nothing to beat the sheer feeling of joy you got when you took an Uzi and demolished the toilet block :LOL:

Yeah the docks with the snipers on the cranes was cool. And the bamboo forest was as close to a modern day (COD) experience as you got at the time.

As for black... I really enjoyed that as well. I got it for my XBox though. There was nothing to beat the sheer feeling of joy you got when you took an Uzi and demolished the toilet block :LOL:

Yup, Black was a lot of fun, but I just couldn't listen to those live action cutscenes. They were plain irritating :mad:. Black felt like disjointed levels, but the levels themselves were fun, except for few. One certain night time mission with Snipers all around was very very enjoyable. Now that I think of it, I stopped playing cos I broke the left stick of my dualshock cos of too much play :LOL: ! BTW, i played KZ1 after Black(with a new controller), don't know in which order they were released, though.

Misty Waters ! This guy is playing as Rico....ew ! I liked Luger's campiagn a lot as it meant a lot of side paths after playing as Templar.
The weather-station. The helghast voices were amazingly irritating in KZ1 !

The game had great atmosphere in the PS2 era too. But looking at it now, it doesn't seem to hold up as a good game, though.

I'd say combined after everything like blur, grain, bloom, etc.
Wouldn't it make sense to do it before post processing stuff like DoF, Bloom and motion blur?
This way all edges would still be easy to find and all post processing effects would get the quality improvement.

I picked up something from the new level The reckoning when Narville says "mobile factory explosion has drawn Helghast's attention". So about that mobile factory, I was thinking maybe it's something like this?
2qlu1s5.jpg

It seems to me like GG has grasped the tech of giant moving mech and this thing here looks much bigger than even the MAWLER.

Wondering

I'd say combined after everything like blur, grain, bloom, etc.

Wouldn't it be easier to do before on each mini-buffer before blending to create final super-buffer?

Can use much simpler, very fast algorithm in parallel with creation of next buffer and provide better quality.

Agree or disagree?

I picked up something from the new level The reckoning when Narville says "mobile factory explosion has drawn Helghast's attention". So about that mobile factory, I was thinking maybe it's something like this?
2qlu1s5.jpg

It seems to me like GG has grasped the tech of giant moving mech and this thing here looks much bigger than even the MAWLER.

I think you will be playing "inside " or "on" it. outside would be just scenery to look at, not something you could go and walk on. Thats my opinion.

It looks like that Land Carrier from HAZE.

Stuff about Visari and the Helghan
I don't think GG is trying to make the Helghast the "good guys" and the ISA the "bad guys." I think they're drawing on the history of Nazi Germany. Today, it's pretty clear that the French desire for vengeance at Versailles led to an unjust oppression of the Germans, which in part enabled the rise of Hitler. That doesn't make Hitler a good guy or create any sympathy for the Nazis; it simply clarifies that history is complicated. I think they're doing the same thing with the Helghast--they've created a back story where the demands of Earth for taxes from the colonies created political tensions, a civil war, and eventually the Helghast getting the short end of the stick. Much like Versailles-induced poverty enabled the rise of Hitler, Terran-induced poverty (via embargoes and the like) on Helghan enabled the rise of Visari, who was no less a vicious, bloodthirsty dictator, and his fascist movement is pretty clearly evil. They've just created a more believable, complex back story.

Also, I won't say I "liked" Rico, but I think he is a good character. He's a brash meathead with a grudge whose impulsive actions sometimes cause more harm than good. There are plenty of people like that in real life.

It looks like that Land Carrier from HAZE.

Only a lot meaner. HAZE is one game that could have been amazing. As it was some parts were distinctly PS2ish and then you'd hit bits like the jungle that were quite amazing then.

That's what Crytek should do, they should re-release Free Radicals back catalogue, Timesplitters in HD, and remake HAZE.

I have this constant urge to get HAZE and try it. I really liked the demo, it felt old school and had good gameplay mechanics. But I can't find a really cheap copy :( ! I can't pay full price for it as lot of people say its really bad. But something keeps telling me its good, just with bad textures.

I don't think GG is trying to make the Helghast the "good guys" and the ISA the "bad guys." I think they're drawing on the history of Nazi Germany.

That's totally fine with me. It's just a shame that you have to read through their webiste in order to find out about that stuff. As it is, KZ2 comes across as just another lame war movie where the glorious allied forces invade Nazi Germany with its comically evil leader ... directed by Michael Bay. It's a bit sad because it could be so much more if Guerilla Games simply implemented what they got all along.

It's like a Halo-fan who tries to convince you about the depth and awesomeness of the game's story by pointing you towards all the available novels you can buy separately. Sorry, but if it is not in the game then it might just as well not exist at all.

Last edited by a moderator:
It's a long-standing wisdom in the Killzone lore that in war there are no 'good' sides. The developers have mentioned as much on multiple occasions I think.

It's a long-standing wisdom in the Killzone lore that in war there are no 'good' sides. The developers have mentioned as much on multiple occasions I think.

Yeah, but just like Sigfried1977 said, it is never taken up inside the game or mentioned in cutscenes and explored in the game story at all. if they do it, it might be cooler than having just a backstory that 99 % of the players will not bother to read on their website.

Anyways, brand new video, direct feed 720p from the preview build we saw earlier:

Not direct feed, i must say, as it seems to be from, maybe, a Qore episode !

Last edited by a moderator:
The chance to play as Helgans versus the ISA would be pretty awesome. I'm sick of seeing the ISA just roll over them. It was also nice to see some real Helgan characters with real faces in the latest trailers (and Malcolm McDowell!). It helps to give them a more human quality instead of the faceless nature of KZ1 and 2.

I was looking around and noticed that the Helghast Edition is priced at £122 in UK...wtf ?
Compare this to the NA price which comes around £84...damn you HMV.

I was looking around and noticed that the Helghast Edition is priced at £122 in UK...wtf ?
Compare this to the NA price which comes around £84...damn you HMV.

Actually, it's £112, not £122. And yes, while it is more expensive

Secondly, HMV don't buy from American suppliers, so will price the product in accordance with the wholesale price given to them by SCEE.

Thirdly, even with the above, it's in reality only a £10 premium compared to the US price. £94+VAT=£112.

I've pre ordered my Helghast edition for $248 AU and aside from the game itself, I'm most interested in the 100page artbook. I wanna see how they recreated all the characters and giant mechs, what art pipelines they used, the prototypes and what not. I heard there will be some extra videos from the Helghast edition which leads me to hope for some making of docs.

That's some pretty insane footage I must say! Looks like they're wringing the life out of the PS3! Looks like another technical tour de force, and it's out in next to no time!

Yeah, but just like Sigfried1977 said, it is never taken up inside the game or mentioned in cutscenes and explored in the game story at all. if they do it, it might be cooler than having just a backstory that 99 % of the players will not bother to read on their website.

Well, chances are that's what your going to get in KZ3. Apparently there's 70 minutes worth of cutscenes in it.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2011-01-13-killzone-3-has-70-mins-of-cutscenes

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back