[PS3] Killzone 3

Status
Not open for further replies.
Say what? There're at least 7 or 8 huge oil rigs full of details, enemy soldiers, destructible objects and further enhanced by the jaw dropping 3d waves, snow flakes and tons of particle gust. That level is anything but empty buddy.

Like LOD doesn't exist there. They're far apart and you proceed to each one in a linear pattern. And both the waves and the environment are low on the geometric side. Not to mention the framerate still has a long way to go. Lots of popup too.

It's not a good idea to start a debate between a sceptic and a worshipper...
:LOL:

And both the waves and the environment are low on the geometric side.
Uh...how does that goes along with the "empty" remark ?

Not to mention the framerate still has a long way to go. Lots of popup too:
From what I understand the E3 stage demo was the 3D version....I think they asked everyone to wear the glasses before they started the demo.

The new streaming system and more efficient engine allows GG to build (10 times) bigger levels.

Naturally, the demo won't feel empty because for the most part, the user will focus on where the enemies are. The ocean is nice indeed. But the close up melee is nicer. :cool:

Stereoscopic 3D will compound the difficulty.

EDIT: Missed the original soft look, but I guess I can't complain about good MLAA.

The graphics are simply incredible. Big big improvement in terms of scale, and IQ. Also, I've noticed that Sev's modeling, in particular, looks a lot like the first CG unveiling models...I can't say how exactly, but he seems to have...more volume...I don't know... :LOL:

Here's what engadget thinks.

Here's what engadget thinks about 3D in Killzone 3

The Killzone 3 gameplay demo we saw yesterday at Sony's presser was really the pinnacle of what we've seen for 3D gaming. Formula: take one of the best-looking games on any system ever and put it in 3D. We were thrilled to try it out on the show floor, but unfortunately we're not so sure it lives up to its self-produced hype. The big problem is that the game runs at a seriously reduced resolution in order to compensate for the doubled framerate of 3D. All the assists and art direction still shine, and the game still looks pretty good, but there are tons of "jaggies," and you notice the lost fidelity every time you get a glimpse of the game running in 2D.

Found the original link here:
http://i.engadget.com/2010/06/16/playstation-3-in-3d-impressions-almost-but-not-quite/

At this moment, MotorStorm Apocalypse and KZ3 have noticeable jaggies in 3D due to the lowered resolution. Waiting to see if GG can deliver a matching 3D experience.

There's also the problem dimming caused by the shutter glasses (possibly exacerbated by the show lights we were playing under), which makes some of the darker or more cluttered scenes seem muddy and difficult to discern. But, it's still great playing in 3D. The sense of space is really tangible, and we had none of the problems we anticipated of not knowing where to focus our eyes. Big scenes felt bigger, danger felt more immediate, and we really see the advantage of 3D for first-person shooters. Unfortunately, while the technical execution remains lacking, it's hard to see using 3D for anything but the most casual of sessions: for an extended playthrough or competitive multiplayer, 2D is a must. On a more positive note, Sony says that they're working on getting the resolution to match (or appear to match) to 2D gameplay in 3D mode, so perhaps this game will get better with time (it's in pre-alpha currently), but we'll have to wait and see.

MLB 2010 3D shines.

One of the much better looking games we saw was MLB 10 The Show. It looked to be playing at a much higher resolution, and with the higher quality graphics that the relative simplicity of baseball games have always enabled. Also, the cleanness of the field made the screen dimness not as much of an issue, and there really is a benefit to 3D during hitting... can you imagine that? An actual practical use for all these graphical shenanigans?

The tangible sense of space is what attracted me to 3D gaming.

Okay, re-edit of my post: which problems did you have with KZ2?

I've probably mentioned it before, but............. 4' tall midget view!

Please oh please don't do it again. :| It was the only aspect that ruined things for me.

Please oh please don't do it again. :| It was the only aspect that ruined things for me.

OMG another thing that i never noticed before, and that will annoy me from now on! Why do i do this to myself?!?!?!

:LOL::LOL:

Although I hear a lot of complain from a lot of people...it does not borther me, but I had the impression that this is improved in the new footage?!

that's a common shooter fault. Also disproportinate guns, where you run right up to a wall and the button fills your view, while the gun is drawn same size. guns should have collision geometry to prevent breaking perspective this way (dunno if KZ2 had this problem, but Borderlands has and isn't the only game).

that's a common shooter fault. Also disproportinate guns, where you run right up to a wall and the button fills your view, while the gun is drawn same size. guns should have collision geometry to prevent breaking perspective this way (dunno if KZ2 had this problem, but Borderlands has and isn't the only game).
KZ2 has that, unless you are in a cover....in which case your character holds the gun pointing towards the sky/roof.

I like how the playing character in Crysis points the gun upside everytime you come near a wall.

this was my second biggest complaint with KZ2, it didnt stop me from finishing the game, but damn was it annoying to me

my first being rico,... please let us kill rico in the first 5 minutes of the game

That was annoying, but the narrow FOV was more of an issue with me. Console shooters typically have a narrow FOV, but it was particularly bad in Killzone 2.

Narrow FOV is probably a bigger issue. I thought someone mentioned that midget view is not uncommon in shooters ? Poor KZ2 get picked on for various reasons.

Read many midget complains about KZ2 but I don't think it's an issue an all. I could melee Helghasts up close in KZ2. KZ3 melee should be more engaging (Remember the KZ3 trailer where Sev snapped the neck of a Helghast soldier ?)

After watching all E3 FPS vids across the world, I still think that KZ engine excells in this department: hit reaction of the enemies. IMO it give so much immersion when shooting a HGH...especially their over dramatic "Oh, I die...I turn around and fall slowly down, dramatic, like an actor to make you feel bad/or satisfied depending on the color of your soul".

Looking at games like Crysis, Crysis 2(is maybe the closest competitor at the moment), Brink, Rage(has good hit reaction as well), HALO, COD, ... I think that they need to improve this part in their engine, because when killing an enemy in those games, their dying animation often looks funny (which is probably not intended!). Afterall, shooting foes is the central point of playing a FPS and I want that they react over realistically (like in movies)!

I wonder what you guys think about the death animations...as I never hear someone complaining in other games - so maybe it is just my personal impression and issue?!

Last edited by a moderator:
Definitely, the MLAA doesn´t seems to fit right in KZ. I will be cautious nevertheless because in the early demo of GT5 (the Academy one) the implementation of MLAA was worse than the one showed at E3, and the underliyng problem seems to be the same (lines, fences, straight corners and subpixel stuff). What could be done to solve the problem is beyond my empty knowledge, so let´s wait.

Apart from this, the world it´s bigger for sure and taking into account the core tech of the previous installment that´s an achievement. The other main problem that I´ve with the demo, a problem common with the demo of Gears of War, is the impact of the LOD transitions in the inmersion. Ok, I assume that some kind of streaming has to be done, and the LOD has to be somewhat aggressive because the hardware has inherent limits today. But a "bad" (read "aggressive") LOD ruins the experience to me. For instance, A. Creed 2 is just disgusting with the buildings just "creating" in front of me, or when falling from the sky. The same applies with the main world hub in the last Banjo Kazooie.

Is it impossible to apply a bit less "hard" LOD transition? The polygons, textures, and the rest of stuff just "appears" all of a sudden. Well, I think that one of the main advancements in Halo Reach engine is that LOD transitions seems more subtle. I didn´t detect them, and that´s pleasant.

Apart from that, KZ3 looks great and in effect the animations are convincing to me. The transitions are more elaborated that Gears, from what I saw yesterday. They have months to advance.

since when did GT started implementing MLAA ?

Well, I think I read in this forum some time ago that the GT5 Academy demo used some kind of custom AA that created a bit of flickering in some circumstances. I´ve assumed that the technique was MLAA, but don´t put my memory under test because I may be wrong.

If that´s not the case, please don´t mind to correct me... but I remember that the traditional MSAAx2 GT5 Prologue had in 1080p mode (1280x1080) dissapeared, and there was some kind of AA...

Thanks in advance.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back