[PS3] Killzone 3

Status
Not open for further replies.
Looks exactly like KZ2 to me but at this point it's still too earlier to tell how it'll turn out. And the first thing I noticed in the trailer was the water. Pretty horrible, in my opinion. Gameplay looks good though and the new additions seem like a nice touch.

Stunning...are the huge waves done in-engine? Love all the explosions and particles and the art direction and designs.

I have always thought Killzone 2 was the real technical showcase of the PS3, rather than Uncharted, which to me looked like a game -albeit a very good looking one.

KZ2 on the other hand, is so cinematic and so visually 'real', that it delays the suspension of disbelief unlike Uncharted or Resistance, which is something very few games do, possibly only Crysis and GT5's replays and maybe Alan Wake (from video, though I haven't played that yet).

Killzone 2 had only one CG sequence, the opening to the game. Everything after starting a game was real-time and sometimes quite heavily dropped frames [in cut-scenes].
Watch this http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/killzone-week-day-one-triple-campaign-dissection

You are correct..I played the game today and only the opening intro is in CG...Game still has awesome looking graphics.I want to see the jungle levels in KZ3 as I know it looks visually fantastic.Can't wait to see more at E3.

I'd like to see an expansion of the Helghast bugs. In KZ2 you had the electric spiders and roaches, but nothing to exciting to fight against in the cities and deserts. I imagine there would be quite a few beasts in the Helghast rainforests though :)

Only the very first intro sequence (the one with Visari's speech) is CG/offline render which looks to be made using the game engine. Apart from that not one scene was CG...atleast that's what I remember.

There was a complete trailer done with CG, showing battle scenes and Visari talking. Axis animation was the studio, the same that did the E3 2005 trailer.

There was a complete trailer done with CG, showing battle scenes and Visari talking. Axis animation was the studio, the same that did the E3 2005 trailer.
This ?

Quality wise its considerably behind the (in)famous 2005 CG trailer....like for eg. look at the shape of the cylinder @ 2:05 it isn't even perfectly round, something which you wouldn't normally expect from a 2009 CGI.

Here is a good preview:

http://totalplaystation.com/ps3/killzone-3/previews/8908/1/

with some interesting impressions about the 3D gameplay...

This is not the same effect you've seen in movies like Avatar where your focus needs to be more or less right in the middle of the screen and where the camera dictates where you can look to appreciate the effect. Flicking our eyes around the environment to watch the snow billowing realistically in and out, creating little white streaks around the screen or the tattered flags pulled nearly taut by the whipping gale forces, none of the detail was lost.
this is good to hear as this was one of my major fear regarding 3D gaming....

Quality wise its considerably behind the (in)famous 2005 CG trailer....l

It's more to do with budget. Notice how almost all the assets are more or less refined versions of ingame models this time. It probably wasn't as important to Sony as that 2005 one.

It's more to do with budget. Notice how almost all the assets are more or less refined versions of ingame models this time. It probably wasn't as important to Sony as that 2005 one.

I thought that it possible could be that they made this CGI trailer at the beginning of the game not so good quality wise per purpose!?

Because, with this rather imperfect CGI trailer at the beginning (the most obvious thing are the explosions of the attacking space ships!!), the difference to the actual ingame cutscenes and to the actual gameplay is not so "dramatic" and thus it thus not disturb the players perception - indeed I think that you get the opposite effect: gamers having the feeling that the ingame graphics is not too far away compared to the CGI opening..."look how good KZ2 ingame looks, even compared to CGI!!"

It's more to do with budget.
I don't think its anything to do with the budget, cause that is a rather important video since its plays everytime someone boots up the game. Therefore, what Billy said does makes some sense.

Notice how almost all the assets are more or less refined versions of ingame models this time. It probably wasn't as important to Sony as that 2005 one.
That's exactly what I was trying to say back then. :smile:

I think i read somewhere they're placeholder. In terms of actual production the game is likely to have a bigger budget than Killzone2.

Also when talking CG trailors. Halo:Reach is still miles away from the Halo3 CG trailor so it's all swings and roundabouts really.

I thought that it possible could be that they made this CGI trailer at the beginning of the game not so good quality wise per purpose!?

Not sure if the results you mention are intentional - but I know from a friend who's been at Axis that the schedule was much, much shorter, so probably the budget as well.

I hope that they don't forget to incorporate fully fledge out online coop SP gameplay, and online coop "horde" gameplay this time - the only thing that interests me, the only (but major) flaw of KZ2!!!

Hey GG, all this "we listen to our fans", we "read fan reactions in forum" talking is going to be tested (remember the release time of KZ2? Everyone on the planet wanted online coop)!!!

Big Billy is watching you with "eyes without a face"!

Thread closed until I have chance to clean out the OT crap. Another high-profile platform exclusive, another thread of stuipd comparisons...

Water talk moved here. Everything else scrubbbed.

I thought the same at first. I reckon they are air-intake for the mini jet engine:

ScreenShot_2009_03_21_1815%20small.jpg

The manifold wraps around to protect his neck like a flight pillow.

Or you can think of the intake valves as the fangs of a spider.

EDIT: Wow Butta, that is indeed a stunning video.

Ah ! From the video, they are some sort of mini-boosters to control direction. Not for air intake.

No wonder the mounted MG will overheat quickly in the game.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back