Me and Comcast might be parting ways, THE F#CK$!

I've never hit 60 gigs, which is my cap. 1 terrabyte per month is just crazy. How could you possibly watch all of that stuff you download?

How many of you have multiple vendors for (true) high speed internet?
Here in Cincinnati we have only Time Warner Cable (15 Mbps max DL) and Cincinnati Bell DSL (like 8 Mbps)...and that's it. No Verizon, no At&T, no Comcast. [Edit: the DSL here is 5 Mbps]
I'm actually pretty lucky, I have two in my area; Comcast & AT&T both deliver 25/10 service at about the same price/quality.

Tried my best but I have no other options than comcast around here.

Considering I can already hit well over 250 GB a month on 7 mbit DSL, I'm not about to switch to Comcast where I'd be in danger of going over that in no time at all. And since I live near downtown, I'm sure I would be sharing the bandwidth with many more people than out in the suburbs. In other words, Comcast would be far less tolerant of going over.

Unfortunately no Verizon, no AT&T Uverse, or any other competitors here. Only Comcast and Qwest. And unfortunately FTTC (fiber to the curb) isn't available in my city yet. So no option for 12, 20, or 40 mbit DSL.

In Japan, I exceeded 1 TB in both upload and download (100 mbit both ways) for a total of 2-3 TB a month. :oops: I came back with 3x 2 TB HDDs (2 full, 1 about 1/3). :D

But that's mostly because I took advantage of the bandwidth I had there to download high quality HDTV anime rips that aren't available in the US yet. I have months and months of anime stored. As well, it's amazing how much space 4,000-8,000 pixel photographs take up (high quality photography site). One of the 2 TB drives is entirely filled with HQ photographs.

Regards,
SB

It's the quality of service that bugs me.

The DVR is crap. Very laggy and glitchy. Replacing it doesn't help.
The PQ is crap. Low bandwidth and artifact ridden.
Internet performance can vary greatly. From 6-9pm on weekdays, speeds are inconsistant.
Price. Package hell and being a long term customer simply means you're not eligible for any good offers.
Ondemand is half assed.
Interface needs an overhaul.

I was going to go with Direct TV but they have a catch also. A 2year contract and early termination costs $20 a month for each month left on contract.

Even if I were to go with DirectTV, then I'm stuck with Comcast for internet because I have no FIOS/U-Verse in my areas. Not even ATT's fastest DSL service.

Puh!!

Just about all online television broadcasts and on-demand reruns are unavailable if you have an outside-US IP address. Simply because there's only "US-$$$" and "foreign-???" to the advertisers.

Local reruns: yes, anything originating in the US: good luck, try usenet.

They called me again today and left a message saying they have, "time-sensitive information on your Comcast high speed internet account".

I call 'em back when we find out our close date to let 'em know, I'm sure whatever they have to say will wait until then or else they would have left some sort of detailed message. :)

Yeah, I heard about the limits there. A buddy of mine has a 10GB/mos cap, (HEY PJ!
twitch.gif
)
, which I just can't wrap my head around!:

800GB/month? That's a lot of linux distros. You must be hosting the main SVC server and have a mountain of external HDDs. :p

I have 20gb / month but because I don't warez it's more than sufficient. Around E3 is a bit tight because of all the trailers and whatnot but any other month and there's plenty to spare.

Assuming all HD, 800GB worth of TV in a month month should leave roughly 6 hours/day for work, family, sleep, gaming, renovation, etc... Seems perfectly reasonable! :)

I have no idea how much bw I use per month...Netflix, Hulu, PlayOn streaming to consoles...PSN, Amazon and iTunes movie rentals...

Assuming all HD, 800GB worth of TV in a month month should leave roughly 6 hours/day for work, family, sleep, gaming, renovation, etc... Seems perfectly reasonable! :)

Assuming 800GB worth of PC OnLive gaming in a month should leave roughly 22.66 hours/day for everything else. :LOL:

I usually use about 25-30gb these days. That's a new thing for me though, I'm not downloading nearly as much as I once did but still even at my peak I would only use about 100gb a month. 1tb is pretty nuts even for a family of 4 lol.

Today is the day that digitalwanderer has been cast out from the ranks of the Comcast internets.

Today is the day that digitalwanderer has been cast out from the ranks of the Comcast internets.

They didn't want to do it on Friday the 13th, because this was a lucky situation?

Heh, you don't think it's THAT easy to get rid of me...do you? :p

Comsec found out how to get me to call them today at least, that's fer sure. :LOL:

Back