[360, PS3] Bioshock 2

I didn't finish the last boss fight too. He kept running away and I ran out of patience. Supposed to get in a
big daddy
or something. I remember I finally got one, but didn't bother to go back. It's a great game nonetheless !

You should spoiler tag it.

Warcrow - I liked your comments about feeling big, powerful, but melancholy about your interactions with the environment, I would think that would be one of the most important things the designers were trying to get across to immerse you into the game, so I doubt it's by accident.

You've just convinced me to spend the better part of my four day weekend playing Bioshock 2, so congrats! :)

Youre certainly welcome, and enjoy! :)

Done and done-- I Beat the game last night and I deffinitely have a lot of thoughts I need to flesh out so I can type up a conclusion and discuss some things with you guys. I know this isnt the PC gaming forum but really quick I would like to get something off my chest: I experienced a fairly annoying bug in the PC version of the game that was almost a show stopper for me.

The Q key, be default, is used to rotate through the various plasmids that you currently have equiped. On many occasions (to quantify, probably 25% of the game) my entire left arm (the plamid one) was locked--completely forzen. This means that switching between and/or firing plasmids was not possible. Hitting the Q key did nothing.

Funny enough, the first few times this happened I chalked it up to gameplay and figured the game was purposely making this happen for narrative reasons, but I soon realized it was a severely disabling bug. I often resolved the issue by reloading the game from an old save, by entering a in-game cinematic like moving on to a new level or by restarting the game.

It actually wasnt that big of a deal until the game's finale where, as you can imagine, began to frustrate me because nothing I did would fix it--not even restarting the game. I won't spoil anything in the game with the details of the finale but I will say that I completed the final segment of the game (the final boss fight) without using a single plasmid.

On my way to work (30 min drive) I thought about what happened and it deffinitely sucked, but there was also something poetic about it. When all was said and done and my foes were lying there dead at my feet I stood there triumphant and partially disabled aftering battling against the odds. It was almost fittingly poetic to my adventure in Rapture.

More to come in a bit...

Bioshock 2 is an interesting game isnt it? It stands in a tough spot following in the footsteps of what some people consider the greatest first-person shooter to come along in years. But even more interesting is I find that the group that hearily embraced the original, holding it high above their heads mightily exclaiming to the world "See! This is was happens, world, when you accurately marry compelling art with a quality gaming experience!" are now the ones turning their backs to it's sequel unwilling to listen to the story it wishes to tell. But really, who can blame them right? How is it possible that an interesting and compelling experience could come out of Rapture after the first? Well truth be told, I'm a little bit of a hypocrite as I initially found myself in that very group thinking those same things.

After some thought, though, I realized that I wasnt giving the game a fair chance--I might be missing out on something I could love. I'm happy to say that I come away from playing Bioshock 2 through to completion (roughly 12 hours) feeling fulfilled. Certainly I'm a traiter right? Well all I can do is write what I feel about the game and hope that you can take something away from that that's beneficial.

In short, I've come to the conclusion that Bioshock 2 is--through a few unfortunate misteps--an really good game. Hold your tomatoes please! :) To keep things completely spoiler free I won't go into any of the plot of gameplay revelations, but what I will do is tell you confidently that I found the narrative--and the way it unravels--interesting enough to keep pushing forward, but it goes without saying that it's not nearly as interesting as the original.

I found the gameplay to be more intense and more enjoyable than the original, and this surprised me. I think the ability to duel weild a plasmids and a weapon heightens the intensity of the action to a new level. In addition there are more splicer attacks who're coupled with thicker skin and more powerful attacks (at least it appears that way to me) making it a welcome step-up from the first.

Personally I had the most fun utilizing the Hypnotize plasmid. At first it just turns other foes against one another--which in itself is extremely entertaining--but eventually you can upgrade it to the point where you can recruit splicers for a few minutes--even the bigger foes! At several points in the game I found myelf surounded by two hacked drones along with, my favorite victim, one of the Houdini Splicers (teleporter who throws explosives). Sending them into a room full of splicers was so incredibily entertaining. I watched the AI try to figure out how to kill itself quite amusing, especially with the little aggrogant taunts they spout out from time to time.

But what Bioshock 2 doesnt have, unfortunately, is the same quality of level design through and through. The magic that the first retained throughout the entire experience just isnt here. Bioshock 1 was defined by it's areas, their unique arcitechual design and aesthetics. Overall it was extremely memorable with fascinating points of interest. I fondly look back on areas like the Medical Pavilion run by the demented and insane Dr Steinman, the fishing port of Neptune's Bounty, the Farmers Market, or how about Rapture's entertainment center Fort Frolic? For me, Bioshock 2 really only has one area runsalong the same line as those, and that's in Ryan Amusements. I'll hold off on the details of why it's so interesting but let's just say it's a pivitol moment in the game's narrative truely revealing how arrogant and messed up Ryans practices were. It's a shining example of what a good segement of a game should be comprised of--a solid characteristic that's unique to the narrative and overall plot of, not just the game, but the Bioshock series. Plus it had a purpose in terms of gameplay amd it was fun to play around in.

Unfortunately most of the other levels--including Siren Alley (the Red Light District), which was a missed opportunity--are much too similar in terms of aesthetic and architectual design. But I must point out that this is not to say that the levels are badly designed or even a bore to play through, but just to bring to light that they're not on par with the original. That whimsically melancholly Bioshock spirit is missing!

In regards to the plot, once I found out what was going on--and yes it's revealed why you're a Big Daddy who's as weak and vulterable as he is,especially in comparison to the ones in the fist game--it all came together nicely. It's certainly not as interesting or inspired as the original game.

Conclusion
Bioshock 2 is a really fun game, but I think that in order for us hardcore to enjoy the intended crafted experience it has to offer then I think we need to come back down to earth (heh) a little. We need to realize that this isnt the first game's experience where we're experiencing Rapture and all its glory for the first time--which, honestly, is the very best part of the first game. But Bioshock 2 is an unpretentious attempt to expand on Rapture lore, and you know what? In the end I respect it for trying to nicely progress in the complexity of Rapture, but most importantly I respect it for being, overall, a fun video game to play--because that's what it does best.

I do agree about the level design. While it is in typical Bioshock flavor, it simply isn't as inspiring nor does it give that sense of vastness within Rapture. For where I'm at right now, it feels as though the sets you are taken to were created piece by piece instead of as a whole functioning world.

I mean to say the world of Bioshock 2 seems as though it was planned out linearly.

Bioshock on the other hand, felt like one cohesive world. It's the difference between "Welcome to the world of Rapture; where would you like to go?" (Bioshock) versus "let's take the player from point A to point B, and let's have point B look like this" (Bioshock 2).

The set pieces in Bioshock 2 are different for the sake of being different; they don't really have a cohesiveness to them.

We need to realize that this isnt the first game's experience where we're experiencing Rapture and all its glory for the first time--which, honestly, is the very best part of the first game.

I think that's the main thing right there. When Bioshock first came out there was something really magical about it to me, that brilliant art style, the unique location, etc, it was just fantastic to me at the time. Now the sequel is cool, but somehow that magic and freshness has been lost. I still really like it visually and all, but there's a definite amount of "been there done that" feeling while I play it. Not sure if I'll finish this one just yet.

Not to over-emphasize Rapture, but I think some of Bioshock's charm is also in the story (first 2/3) and level design. e.g., Sudden Splicer attack; or sometimes, you overheard their conversation before you saw the Splicers, and you had to survey the surrounding for where they were.

The voice recordings added to the flavor.

Will check it out.

Playing on PS3 and its running very well - no tearing, framerate is just about solid - until there's so much going on on screen that it drops down to 15fps. That's happened only twice. I've read that there's actually more tearing on the Xbox 360 version...so the PS3 version performs better in this regard. Some low-res textures though.

Does the PS3 have the v-sync option? On 360 you can choose to lock (no tearing, fixed at 30fps) or unlock (bouncing between 30 and 60 with tearing) so I'd suggest your reading was on people who unlocked the framerate (locked by default). I always played the original on unlocked since the game felt very fluid with a smooth high framerate - please excuse the pun. The 360 version actually handles framerate the way I'd like this gen - give me the choice between tearing or a higher framerate. What looks better than another generally comes down to personal preference - and of course game style. FPS I prefer higher framerate, where action games I prefer no tearing.

I'm very interested in this game actually but haven't bitten yet. I'll probably pick it up when it's cheaper after the release schedule stops being silly. Sounds like a solid 8/10 but I don't think it's worth it when there are so many 9's and 10's just released or coming soon.

Does the PS3 have the v-sync option?
Yup.

Btw, the 360 v-sync seems to be the "soft" type (according to the DF article released today/yesterday) as we've seen with other 30fps games like Gears of War & Resident Evil 5.

Not to over-emphasize Rapture, but I think some of Bioshock's charm is also in the story (first 2/3) and level design. e.g., Sudden Splicer attack; or sometimes, you overheard their conversation before you saw the Splicers, and you had to survey the surrounding for where they were.

The voice recordings added to the flavor.

Will check it out.

I think you will be glad to know that these elements are still present in Bioshock 2.

Back