NVIDIA GF100 & Friends speculation

k4ug5j.jpg

well I'm not related to xbitlabs but it looks like nvidia pr finally got together and made a response for the Fermi board that makes sense.

If you can correct Rys, then please do!

Friday being the last day of the week is weird, two contradicting replies by Nvidia PR. Fermi Tesla board is a mock-up
What is written at Fudzilla is accurate

Fudo and i were both there with Drew Henry and Jason Paul (my company is AlienBabelTech [no links posted to there by me]; not Fudzilla)
- they said what Jensen showed "is a production mock-up"

However, they have working silicon of Fermi ... is in their testing setups 'black box', so it is not really "presentable" in a finished videocard

Who really cares if it was a "mock up" or not ? :p
- Fermi is real and according to the aforementioned Nvidia officials - "It will ship this year" (2009)

Who really cares if it was a "mock up" or not ? :p
It's always funny to see that when pushed PR people grab for lies even when truth is more convenient ... kinda clarifies what PR really is.

PS. just for reference, it was Drew Henry which said that apoppin?

It's always funny to see that when pushed PR people grab for lies even when truth is more convenient ... kinda clarifies what PR really is.

i am not following you.

i did not believe - at the time - what Jensen had in his hand was a "finished" videocard

When i asked that question, there was no hesitation whatsoever on the official's response that it was a mockup

it isn't like they are hiding something. Femi is working and they demoed by using it

EDIT: i think it was actually Jason Paul; but i need to go over my video

This could be an example of how "a little inaccuracy saves a ton of explanation". :|

NVIDIA GF100 pre-release speculation

As I've alluded to in this thread, my bet is nominally = Cypress but 20% faster with PhysX or some other special conditions. Their marquee bench will be B:AA with PhysX and AA and, under those circumstances, they'll say X% faster than Cypress.

My prediction at least.

I doubt that Anand will put something in his piece after hearing it from people whispering in a crowd. You can say many things about AnandTech but I have found that mostly they don't pay heed to rumours. He must have got the figure from someone reliable or connected to Fermi.

The 20-30% number has been going around the net since October (if not earlier.) It's not from people "connected to fermi", it's AMD's competitive analysis team and nv's own presentations.

Thats simply speculation at this point, even going from the recent interview we saw that AMD expects Fermi to be faster on a single chip vs single chip basis. They will of course be pleasantly surprised if the situation is different.

A price war requires at least one party which wishes to engage in one, since there are of course only two parties. In this case Nvidia has no incentive to engage in price based competition and AMD aren't exactly the most profitable company in the semi-conductor industry. If theres to be pain for Nvidia it will come from an uncompetitive Fermi chip in the short term and be purely self inflicted and if theres pain in the longer term it can only really likely come from either R9xx releasing this year OR an early die shrink of the current AMD lineup.

At this point im not willing to call Fermi uncompetitive nor AMD willing to give up much needed profit for market share.

IF some of these prices going around are realistic for the g104 ($500 bucks for a dual gpu verison ?) then surely the radeon 5870 is going to be much cheaper to make than the $380 they are currently charging for it.

So i don't see amd shying away from a price war in which they will surely win with nvidia.

I don't think AMD wants to get into a situation where HD5970 has to fight GTX380 on price. Why do you think they will win that battle? Versus HD5870 Nvidia will most likely position a cut down part, not a fullblooded Fermi.

As I've alluded to in this thread, my bet is nominally = Cypress but 20% faster with PhysX or some other special conditions. Their marquee bench will be B:AA with PhysX and AA and, under those circumstances, they'll say X% faster than Cypress.

My prediction at least.

How do you validly compare B:AA performance with PhysX unless they allow AMD to use GPU accelerated PhysX? Or are you saying that even with PhysX and all other settings the same, it will be 20% faster still? Therefore given PhysX load, it will actually be considerably faster without it, in which case wouldn't they use the faster value as a comparison? Unless somehow they now get PhysX processing for free?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6RdIrY6NYrM looks like patched ver of Supersonic Sled demo, dude overs talk it's run on one card, also he show wireframe, boys body fully whyte so there good level of tesselation, environment tesselation is adapted and looks good. So if there 8x AA it's pretty fast for one card especially compare to relatively slow Unigine DX11 tess demo and Froblins

Back