Final Fantasy XIV [PS3]

Yoichi Wada revealed his plans for FFXIV 2.0:
http://lodestone.finalfantasyxiv.com/pl/teaser/

GAF has a nice summary:
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=448493

While disappointed with the late PS3 release, I am also a little relieved. Hey Mr. Wada, I don't want a straight PC MMO in the living room. Make something special/different for the living room MMO, or an outdoor MMO for Vita.

-PS3 version release coming Q1 2013, with the closed beta beginning in Q4 2012.

Surely, they jest?

Better late then never, I suppose. I just wonder if they'll find a bigger or smaller market on the PS3 at that time. Obviously the PS3 userbase will be bigger, but will the number of people that still care and don't have the PC version increase or decrease by then?

Last edited by a moderator:
If they make a specialized/custom console MMO experience, then they can avoid that trap. Heck, they can even upsell people to play the PC and console versions together. :p

For now.... I think they are just focusing to get the basic game right. They have to get people to pay for the service this Nov/Dec first. :yes:

The producer clarified their last statement. It looks like they will only start billing after they have released patch 1.20:
http://forum.square-enix.com/ffxiv/...t-that-probably-needs-to-be-read-(Translation)

With that in mind, I will like to say that we will only start billing for this game after patch 1.20 is released, which is scheduled for sometime during the first half of December. For 1.20 we will finally like to absolve the two big issues of "PC search" and "Market search" - especially Markets, to make an "System" that we can call an "Auction House" possible for the future. These changes are taking place before server revisions so difficulties are present, but we are continuing to tackle the issues at hand to make these changes possible.

Final Fantasy XIV Version 2.0 Will Have A Free Post-Launch Trial Says Producer
http://www.siliconera.com/2011/11/1...-have-a-free-post-launch-trial-says-producer/

Starting with version 2.0, Final Fantasy XIV will be undergoing a drastic overhaul, with several aspects of the game and even its visual style seeing revisions between August and September 2012. Then, in October, the game will undergo a full reboot.

Fans and subscribers naturally have a lot questions regarding this reboot, and director-cum-producer, Naoki Yoshida, addressed several of them in a recent Q&A session. You can read the full Q&A summary at this link, but we’ve picked some of the more interesting questions (and answers) out below:

Currently, the game can only display 40 characters on-screen no matter what kind of PC you have. However, with an MMO engine, people expect this to be dependent on hardware—a high spec PC should be able to display a large number of characters. That’s why we’re changing the graphics engine.

I think it will be a bit too early to release a free trial version at the same time 2.0 launches. Having said that, there are plans for it post-launch. Countermeasures are being planned at an early stage to avoid the manipulation of the economy by RMT.

[A lot more questions in the original article !]

Final Fantasy XIV 2.0 Won’t Be An Entirely Different Game, Says Producer
http://www.siliconera.com/2011/11/1...-be-an-entirely-different-game-says-producer/

While Final Fantasy XIV Ver. 2.0 is going to sport a different art style and a load of changes to the current game, the “reboot” is not going to be an entirely different game altogether, says producer, Naoki Yoshida.

Ver. 2.0 will use a new engine that is more suited to the requirements of an MMO, such as the ability to display numerous characters on the screen at once.

Yoshida says the current engine Final Fantasy XIV uses is more suited to offline games. This engine happens to be the Crystal Tools engine, which Square Enix are using to develop the Final Fantasy XIII games.

EDIT: More details here:
http://gamasutra.com/view/news/3864...s_Be_FFXIV_And_Nothing_Else_Says_Producer.php

An interview with FINAL FANTASY XIV's Producer/Director Naoki Yoshida (Part 1)
https://member.eu.square-enix.com/e...sy-xivs-producerdirector-naoki-yoshida-part-1

Can you explain what you've been working on since you became Producer 10 months ago? How have things changed?

The biggest thing we are continuously working on is the user interface. As FINAL FANTASY XIV is an MMO, there is no "final goal", but I do feel that the user interface is the biggest thing we need to improve. ...

The second important aspect of the game for us to improve is the battle system. ...

Thirdly, the contents of the game. Really, this needs to be added after the battle system is improved, but because this is an MMO people will be playing FINAL FANTASY XIV every day, which means they could get through all of the available content very quickly. We needed to make sure there are lots of things to do in the game. ...

With patch 1.19 you added materia, chocobos and airship travel. What other FINAL FANTASY icons or tropes are you hoping to add to the game? Could we see cameos from other FINAL FANTASY characters?

When we announced FINAL FANTASY XIV version 2.0, you may have noticed the crystal tower, which some people might recognise from a previous FINAL FANTASY game. I think the FINAL FANTASY franchise has had a very great history. Because FINAL FANTASY XIV is an MMO, it's a great opportunity for players to feel and experience the FINAL FANTASY universe 365 days a year. I really want to make the most out of the franchise's history. Not many other games have this incredible history, so I'd like to put as much of that as possible in this game. Not only by using ideas, objects and locations from older FINAL FANTASY games, but also by adding new things to the universe. I have a lot of plans, so please look forward to finding out what I have in mind.

Square Won’t Begin Charging For Final Fantasy XIV For A While Longer
http://www.siliconera.com/2011/11/2...ing-for-final-fantasy-xiv-for-a-while-longer/

Patch 1.20 for Final Fantasy XIV was supposed to be released toward the end of November, but producer, Naoki Yoshida, says that the inclusion of a few features is making the process take longer than anticipated. 1.20 is now planned for early December.

New features include a Dark Moogle quest/battle, new seasonal events, class reforms, achievements, PC search, and market tweaks. PC search and market tweaks in particular are rather demanding of resources, but the team’s programmers are hard at work on them.

Also planned are tweaks to the repair system. The repair animations will be shortened, as will the time taken to repair an item. You’ll also be able to have NPCs repair your items instead of doing it yourself or asking another player character for help.

Additionally, Yoshida assures that while Square plan to begin charging a fee for playing Final Fantasy XIV again sometime in the future, this won’t happen until patch 1.20 has been out for a while.

Paid Final Fantasy XIV Service Begins January 6
Square Enix to offer discount pricing until Version 2.0 hits.
http://andriasang.com/comz7i/ffxiv_pay_service/

On January 6, FFXIV players will need to pay a monthly service charge to play the game, but the costs will be marked down temporarily. Previously, Square Enix said that the game's base fee would be ¥980 for 30 days of service and ¥2,640 for 90 days of service, plus an additional per character charge of ¥300 per 30 days. The base fees will initially be slashed from ¥980 to ¥680 and ¥2,640 to ¥1,740. The lower prices will stay in effect until the 2.0 version of the game begins operation

Been curious to see how FFIV turns out:
http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2013-05-01-final-fantasy-14-a-realm-reborn-release-date-narrowed

Final Fantasy 14: A Realm Reborn will be released this summer for PC and PlayStation 3, developer Square Enix has confirmed.

The relaunched MMO is set to enter a third round of closed beta testing in June, which will include PS3 players for the first time.

GAF's contribution...
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=56458188&postcount=1

Not sure if this was posted yet anywhere but here's some copypasta via reddit I'll just stick it here
Translated by the always amazing Reinhart

・Official service start is during summer (Sale during when it's hot (weather))
・Post 5/20 we will have information on sale date & CE details + pre-order starts
・If you pre-order you can get early access
・All legacy players will get early access
・TV CM is being worked on, CM will be different from Japan/US
・Aside from promo CM they are working on different stuff, planning to release info on that around June
・New trailer around 3rd week of May (preparing several / showing Odin as well)
・There is 6-7 in-game item in the CE edition (Such as FF1's main characters "Light Warriors" head gear)
・For "Light Warrior" gear they are working on not only the head, but full gear
・Beta test phase 3 is for early June
・580,000 people is already (in/applied?) Beta test
・UI will change in phase 3 (Will be faster/number of available options is probably #1 in the world (lots of config options))
・Opening is implemented from phase 3 (voice included)
・2nd Benchmark is going to release in between phase 3 and 4
・PS3 versions optimization progressed and the quality got higher
・Per YoshiP regarding PS4 version - we'll (probably) have it
・PC version: High resolution texture will be looked into after DX11 is addressed
・After launch, they are planning to ask different music composers to create music.
・2-3 new BGM by Mizuta Noashi is planned for launch
・Already asked Nobuo Uematsu for new music ?
・Planning to sell OST, will have it in CE version as well
・BLM's magic damage increases by casting in a row
・The live demo video of Arcanist will be released around E3
・Can go to Eureka (FF3's dungeon)
・Will have 2 retainers (Within same world it's possible to share between characters)
・Planning to implement a super retainer (temp name) which has more features
・Difficulty to obtain Dark Light gear will be eased, will be something lower than primal gear
・Need Relic to go Crystal Tower
・Crystal Tower gear is higher than Relic, Bahamut gear is higher than this
・With later added content it's possible to upgrade relic
・FATE level sync is switched on manually through task list
・There is no difference in convenience between starting nations
・Swim suit will be redistributed, confirmed.
・Shiva coming after Ramuh and Leviathan
・Barber will be implemented through patch right after launch
・Weather forecast NPC or Fat Chocobo coming after launch
・Planning for in-game library (temp-name) (can read lore information and such)
・Birthday even will be looked into later
・Subligar (FF11's leg gear) will be looked into for release
・In scenario staff there may be staff SE fan's know
・SE's new CEO Matsuda is planned to appear around next letter LIVE
・YoshiP's birthday May 1st, turning 40.
・YoshiP: His favorite character from FF series is Cloud and Sephiroth
・YoshiP: Has played over 4 digit numbers, done all the G rank solo, talked to Tsujimoto, might have something in future for colaboration.

Got an email inviting me to the beta the other day.

Anyone else all ready in it? Not really a fan of world of warcraft but love story based final fantasy games. I assume this is more world of warcraft than ff though.

FF14 is not story driven? o_O

i though it was story driven game, complete with grandious cutscene. I mean.. its a Final Fantasy game right?

Thats what I was asking, WoW is not really about the story for me, whereas FF games are all about it, like a good old fashioned adventure game with some fighting involved.

Square really need to give free trial for FF14...

their marketing fails to show what is this game about. I keep seeing a bunch of trailers that filled with CG cutscene.

i want to know how the gameplay and stroy works/interact.

Square really need to give free trial for FF14...

their marketing fails to show what is this game about. I keep seeing a bunch of trailers that filled with CG cutscene.

i want to know how the gameplay and stroy works/interact.

I would play it if the game were free to play. Not paying a subscription for one game, not for me.

Am reading up on the game now... Looks like beta 3 is over this weekend.

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/new...ntasy-XIV-Beta-Begins-This-Weekend-For-PC-PS3

While it's been in closed beta testing for a while now, a third beta is starting this weekend for PC and PS3 players.

This will be the third beta for A Realm Reborn and will focus on cross-platform play. That's right, both PS3 and PC players will adventure together on the same server. Interested players can sign up here. The beta will run for this weekend only, until Sunday at 10:00 am BST.

Also found the release date:

Final Fantasy XIV: A Realm Reborn launches on both PC and PS3 August 27th.

I've been in the PS3 Beta, the first week was rough lots of server problems. Second week was much smoother. Managed to get a conjurer to lv.15 in a single day of play before the beta ends.

The World: it seems really nice, something you can escape to.
Interface/Control: I was curious at first on how it will translate to DS3, but it works pretty well.
Characters/Races: The models for them are nicely done.
Quest/Story: There are quest with story that I'm really interested to see the end of it. So I probably will pick up the game because of this.

Dislikes:
Monsters/Enemies: They're really ugly/generic looking by Final Fantasy standard.
Battles: They're really simple, too simple at this stage. Was expecting a little bit more.
Class/Jobs: You start with a class then advance to Jobs, but classes have really limited range of abilities. It just feels padded IMO.

I didn't get a chance to form a formal party, but there are people there and some of us sort of just gang together and that was fun.

The PS3 version doesn't look bad, but is not as nice looking as the PC version. Here hoping the PS4 version will be PC like. I'm not sure which version to get. At this point I'm going to get the digital PS3 version and then switch to PS4. Or just play Dragon Quest 10 PC version. I'm definitely more of Dragon Quest fan. The problem is DQ10 was design for the Wii, it looks a bit barren compare to FFXIV.

Back