PS3 Slim Hardware Confirmed

-the same user claims that the main reason "other OS" was removed was because SONY felt some people were buying them and building server farms. PS3 in server farms aren't users who are buying games.

Ouch, Sony don't have to ostracize PS3 Linux because some people abuse it. They can sell PS3 Linux for a fee to avoid losing money.

What's with the power and eject buttons? Why such ugly big round buttons that ruin the design even more.

That is the one and only thing that really bugged me with this new design... The original PS3 have those lovely flush touch buttons, aesthetically couldn't they have kept those on the slim? They do look a bit out of place.

Overall, I like it.

-the same user claims that the main reason "other OS" was removed was because SONY felt some people were buying them and building server farms. PS3 in server farms aren't users who are buying games.
Yeah, Sony sureley doesn´t want to subsidize the consoles for buyers who have no intention of buying games. It´s a pitty though as Linux development for the PS3 will probably slow down considerably.

Here's a suggestion. Drop the Arcade to $179
terrible idea + not cause it will cause them a greater lose than they are now incuring. But whilst they may sell a few more consoles ($20 aint gonna make much difference) but its to the ppl that dont buy software, for evidence the xbox360 attach rate has gone backwards recently!!!

Yeah, Sony sureley doesn´t want to subsidize the consoles for buyers who have no intention of buying games. It´s a pitty though as Linux development for the PS3 will probably slow down considerably.
Which in medical terms, if Linux development were a heartrate, would be called flatlining...

Which in medical terms, if Linux development were a heartrate, would be called flatlining...

:LOL:

Yeah let´s hope they will turn dual boot back on once they start selling non-subsidized units. At that point Sony won´t mind if people use them as bricks when building houses,
though it would be hard due to the curve shape

Once it's stopped, it's very difficult to pick up momentum -- unless they transfer the base to something else.

terrible idea + not cause it will cause them a greater lose than they are now incuring. But whilst they may sell a few more consoles ($20 aint gonna make much difference) but its to the ppl that dont buy software, for evidence the xbox360 attach rate has gone backwards recently!!!

Huh?

The RRP here in Sweden seems to be 3790 SEK including VAT that is €370.

I think the PS3 was selling pretty good at the previous price point so they didn´t bother making any serious cuts to increase sales. It´s by far cheaper to import it from the UK or main-land Europe and that is including the delivery. I really can´t understand that this is good business for Sony. But hey what do I know, I guess they charge what ever they can get away with.

Now that BC is completely off the table, me wonder what I can sell my MGS4 80GB unit with limited BC for.
Same here. I'm actually considering the purchase of a new PStwo to go along with it. Decisions, decisions.

Where's my stackable slot-loading Bluetooth-enabled PSsuper-two, SCE?

loving the new PS3 Slim, looking at these comparsion pics even against the 360 its def a purchase for me. Stuff it, just done my pre-order for it over at amazon :D

orginal PS3 moved to my bedroom and the new slim in my games room.

The RRP here in Sweden seems to be 3790 SEK including VAT that is €370.

I think the PS3 was selling pretty good at the previous price point so they didn´t bother making any serious cuts to increase sales. It´s by far cheaper to import it from the UK or main-land Europe and that is including the delivery. I really can´t understand that this is good business for Sony. But hey what do I know, I guess they charge what ever they can get away with.

That is the new pricepoint? I know that the SKR is weaker than the NKR, but in Norway the 80GB has been availalble for 2995 NKR in selected places (elkjøp etc)for a little while and I assume that the slim will come in at the same price.

That is the new pricepoint? I know that the SKR is weaker than the NKR, but in Norway the 80GB has been availalble for 2995 NKR in selected places (elkjøp etc)for a little while and I assume that the slim will come in at the same price.

Yeah, I found it pretty strange that the same company (called El-giganten in Sweden) has held on to 3790 here while they dropped the price in Norway.

It may be related to inventory, it will be interesting to see what price the slim will get at el-kjöp and el-giganten.

Huh?
2995 NOK = 3546 SEK. Normally stuff is cheaper in Sweden so this is clearly an anomaly. The shops close to the Norwegian border is doing really well.

So what ?

Sony has to hedge currency fluctuations. The past year has seen Saab, Volvo, SEB bank, Swed bank and Nordea constantly in the headlines and not for good things. This adds uncertainty/ risk, which adds costs.

Norway/norwegians are rolling in dough.

Cheers

So what ?

Sony has to hedge currency fluctuations. The past year has seen Saab, Volvo, SEB bank, Swed bank and Nordea constantly in the headlines and not for good things. This adds uncertainty/ risk, which adds costs.

Norway/norwegians are rolling in dough.

Cheers

And all that motivates Sony to sell the PS3 cheaper in Norway? If anything it would give them reason to sell it at higher price in Norway, I cannot follow your logic.

And all that motivates Sony to sell the PS3 cheaper in Norway?

Swedish krona vs. dollar for the past year.

Imagine you buy raw materials and labour and pay in dollar (or something linked to the dollar), - and sell in krona. With a falling krona your income falls. To avoid this you hedge your trade against currency fluctuations. But! It is much more expensive to hedge against a volatile (and falling) currency than a strong and stable one, hence it is more expensive for Sony to ship PS3s to Sweden than to Norway. This added cost is reflected in the selling price.

Cheers

Here in Finland the price of PS3 Slim would seem to be €349.
Don't understand why they announce a €299 price, as in most countries it'll be more anyway :devilish:

Back