3D Gaming*

Okay. I agree the flickering will be more pronounced, though a fast enough shutter should elliminate that. I survived the SEGA Mater System 3D glasses okay, even though the flicker was notable. 120Hz, 60Hz per eye, should be smooth enough for users I'd have thought. Not that shutter glasses are my preferred option!

The two are quite not the same though... Seeing half the light is easy to compensate with a brighter image
Dolby 3D works with a single projector with a color wheel in cinemas ... half the time it's emitting light for one eye, half the time for another. So flickering, just like shutter glasses. RealD works with a LCD-like polarizer ... so again, flickering.

You seem to have some cognitive dissonance going here ...

Time division of the light for the left/right eyes at the projector or display doesn't flicker in your mind ... but when it is done at the eyes through shutter glasses it magically transforms into flicker? You are flat out wrong, it flickers either way ... it's not like the projection screen has some magic phosphor with after glow. It doesn't matter though when it flickers fast enough (as I said, 72 Hz per eye in cinemas).

Okay. I agree the flickering will be more pronounced, though a fast enough shutter should elliminate that. I survived the SEGA Mater System 3D glasses okay, even though the flicker was notable. 120Hz, 60Hz per eye, should be smooth enough for users I'd have thought. Not that shutter glasses are my preferred option!

For moving stuff, 60Hz should be sufficient. The issue with that kind of image lies mostly in your peripheral vision which is much more sensitive to movement (and therefore flicker), but at home using these kinds of glasses, there will be practically no peripheral vision whatsoever. However, from everything I've read so far the best system seems to be a variant of polarised glasses. I'm pretty sure that the only modern system I've actually seen a movie in is one that uses these and has no active component (LCD or whatever), it's just filtering the light in a slightly different phase for each eye. This does affect the colors a slight bit though. I imagine for quality a perfect system consists of two nice HD TVs and the image of each is then reflected into each eye individually. :D But then you can't move your head ...

Time division of the light for the left/right eyes at the projector or display doesn't flicker in your mind ... but when it is done at the eyes through shutter glasses it magically transforms into flicker? You are flat out wrong, it flickers either way ... it's not like the projection screen has some magic phosphor with after glow. It doesn't matter though when it flickers fast enough (as I said, 72 Hz per eye in cinemas).
Indeed, now you mention it, up until digital film in the cinema flickered at 24fps, but people seem to have been okay with this. For the masses, flicker might not be such a problem.

Actually it has been double flashed or tripple flashed since basically forever, so 48 or 72 Hz rather than 24 ... but yes, cinema has always flickered.

Will probably use IR (cheap and reliable ... unlike bluetooth).

Sounds plausable, it would only need to synch the shutters at start and occassionally if it detects a drift.

So a continuous uninterrupted connection is not really necessary though.

A fast wiki check gave:
The glasses are controlled by an IR, RF, DLP-Link or Bluetooth transmitter that sends timing signal.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sounds plausable, it would only need to synch the shutters at start and occassionally if it detects a drift.

So a continuous uninterrupted connection is not really necessary though.

A fast wiki check gave:

The ones i seen only flickered when i was watching the monitor, if i looked at the guy who demoed it they would stop. This was way back on a sgi station used by astra for medical research.

May not be the right thread, but can anyone recommend a 3D compatible monitor ? What should I look out for besides HDCP and HDMI 1.3 (or above) ? DVI won't work right ?

I just had a peculiar thought regards dual-image rendering. We have to use half-size framebuffers to render the same amount of pixels as we're currently doing. Thus we can go with 620x720 or 1280x360. What would the perceptual quality be like if we render one eye with one of those aspects, and the other eye with the other aspect? One will provide horizontal resolution, the other vertical resolution. Will these combine to produce something akin to a full 720p frame?

If they have to use glasses, why don't they simply stick a different LCD in each lens space to cover the whole vision of that eye, and forget the TV altogether?

Well apart from the loss of the social aspect of movie watching, technology isn't quite there yet for VR goggles with comfortable weights (the LCDs in shutter glasses are much simpler than display LCDs and they don't need extra lenses either like VR goggles do).

Just posted about 2D->3D conversion on Toshiba's Cell TV here: http://forum.beyond3d.com/showpost.php? p=1377807&postcount=39

If there is enough consumer demand, we may have 2D->3D conversion TV benchmarks in a few years time. :)

patsu said:
May not be the right thread, but can anyone recommend a 3D compatible monitor ? What should I look out for besides HDCP and HDMI 1.3 (or above) ? DVI won't work right ?

No answer for 3D-ready monitor specs ?
While I'm unlikely to replace my HDTV this year, I may upgrade my office monitor soon.

I don't get this, Why don't they just go interlace ?.

Interaced must a perfect solution to tack on 3d on current gen.

I just bought the Nvidia 3D Vision glasses and a Samsung Syncmaster 2233 RZ (120Hz). Now all that's left is the PC. I hope the glasses will work outside of PC-Geforce environment as well. They do work with 3d Ready DLP tvs at least. (the little infrared emitter has a standard 3d sync in)

Back