[360] Forza Motorsport 3

Photo Mode can take however long it wants to generate a single frame. In Wipeout HDs photo mode it takes like 10 seconds to generate the final image and so can add all sorts of effects and detail not possible when having to generate 60 images every second...

Can we agree on a vocabulary here to prevent all these semantics arguments. Photomode shots are, in fact, "in-game". If you want to make a distinction between these images and screenshots captured while actively racing, how about calling the latter "gameplay" or "in-race"?

Seems like Forza team is just copying the genre leader who has made a living of releasing replay and photo mode pics for a long time now.

Can we agree on a vocabulary here to prevent all these semantics arguments. Photomode shots are, in fact, "in-game". If you want to make a distinction between these images and screenshots captured while actively racing, how about calling the latter "gameplay" or "in-race"?

I wouldnt class photomode as in-game though that is the point, i would prefer in-engine. In-game gives the impression that this is the graphics you experience whilst playing. Photo mode is no more in-game than a CG cut scene is in-game, according to your definition.

Yes we could agree on vocabulary but only if it reduces confusion, which your definition doesnt.

Last edited by a moderator:
Seems like Forza team is just copying the genre leader who has made a living of releasing replay and photo mode pics for a long time now.

exactly

every claim of "best racing game graphics" this gen (in threads on this very forum) has been accompanied by REPLAY mode photos.

exactly

every claim of "best racing game graphics" this gen (in threads on this very forum) has been accompanied by REPLAY mode photos.

And we all know that so far replay has looked far better than ingame play and additionally have added effects/run at 30fps. Only 30fps racing games tend to have similar/same graphics in replay.

And we all know that so far replay has looked far better than ingame play and additionally have added effects/run at 30fps. Only 30fps racing games tend to have similar/same graphics in replay.

yes true... in context of this thread... we have spent considerable time claiming over the past year or two that this game or that game looks "best" by showing replay shots.

the in game (off screen vid) looks great!

I wouldnt class photomode as in-game though that is the point, i would prefer in-engine. In-game gives the impression that this is the graphics you experience whilst playing. Photo mode is no more in-game than a CG cut scene is in-game, according to your definition.

Yes we could agree on vocabulary but only if it reduces confusion, which your definition doesnt.

So you see no possibility for confusion using "in-engine" despite the fact that that term would be equally applicable to screenshots taken during active play?

Agreeing that "gameplay" visuals should be defined as "representative of visuals you will see while engaging in core gameplay" and "non-gameplay" as everything else seems to me to be the most straightforward way to prevent any sort of confusion.

So you see no possibility for confusion using "in-engine" despite the fact that that term would be equally applicable to screenshots taken during active play?

Agreeing that "gameplay" visuals should be defined as "representative of visuals you will see while engaging in core gameplay" and "non-gameplay" as everything else seems to me to be the most straightforward way to prevent any sort of confusion.

I dont agree, it isnt descriptive enough non-gameplay doesnt say anything about what it is, just what it is not.

I use in-game for graphical fidelity equal to what you see when playing. (doesnt have to be gameplay, a replay that doesnt add any effects/detail is still representative of the graphical fidelity you see when playing so can still be classed as in-game)

I use in-engine for stuff that is using additional effects and has increased fidelity not present while playing the game but was created, as the name would suggest, in the same graphics engine. For gameplay the term in-game would take priority so there would be no confusion.

Anything else would be pre-rendered or what it actually is i.e. CG, Anime, live action etc. The terms pre-rendered and in-engine could be used together in cases like Uncharted where FMV is used to hide loading but the FMV itself was created in-engine.

Im sure i have just wasted my time with this though, everyone will use whatever suits them unless it becomes forum policy to use terms that have been agreed upon. It sure would cut down on waste of space discussions like the one we are having now though :LOL:

Last edited by a moderator:
People its easy.

"Race mode" camera = screenshots from actual racing.
"Reply mode" camera = screehshots from replays OF the race.

The tricky thing is, most replay options these days can make it appear the screenshot is from the actual race rather than reply. They just select the race camera and toogle/turn on the hud in the replay options.

IGN supposedly has an E3 demo vid that shows actual race-mode/direct feed, unfortunately they screwed up the encoding and its pixelated to hell. Probably a lower res video that was upscaled to 720p.:rolleyes:

All these events just makes me more suspecious.:???:

IGN supposedly has an E3 demo vid that shows actual race-mode/direct feed, unfortunately they screwed up the encoding and its pixelated to hell. Probably a lower res video that was upscaled to 720p.:rolleyes:

If you have access to Xbox Live you can download 720p video of the games announcement at the Microsoft Media Briefing which contains direct-feed footage of them playing the game.

If you have access to Xbox Live you can download 720p video of the games announcement at the Microsoft Media Briefing which contains direct-feed footage of them playing the game.

Do you? I dont but my friend does. It would be awesome if someone can post a couple shots from the start with they begin the race.:smile:

People its easy.

"Race mode" camera = screenshots from actual racing.
"Reply mode" camera = screehshots from replays OF the race.

Nah, its not. Some replays use the same graphics as in gameplay, some add in effects and image quality not atainable in-game. What you are saying does not distinguish between them at all.

Nah, its not. Some replays use the same graphics as in gameplay, some add in effects and image quality not atainable in-game. What you are saying does not distinguish between them at all.

Did you even read my sentence following that quote?

The tricky thing is, most replay options these days can make it appear the screenshot is from the actual race rather than reply. They just select the race camera and toogle/turn on the hud in the replay options.

..thus "race mode"... screenshots taken while currently... no other time, not during replays, photomodes... only while actually racing.

That said, i think we're just making too big a deal out of it.. just wait a couple months and we should get some non bullshot (aka replay mode) screens.

I thought they were following Bungie's lead, to this day it is nearly impossible to track down a real in-game shot of Halo 3, the net is flooded with the photo mode shots.

I thought they were following Bungie's lead, to this day it is nearly impossible to track down a real in-game shot of Halo 3, the net is flooded with the photo mode shots.

The GT series has been releasing and getting people to buy into replay/photo mode shots long before Halo3 ever saw the light of day. But hey, whatever keeps the faith going......

I think what he means is that GT4's photo mode didn't preclude regular screenshots/framedumps and such being released? GT4 wasn't the first game with photo mode either by the way, but it was certainly one of the most important games to make it popular. It never had the intention to 'mislead' the public though - it was purely intended (and I think used) as a fan-service to car nuts.

Back