Tv Shows

Not Sci-Fi, but:

I thought Generation Kill was very good.
Deadwood (if you haven't seen it) was just excellent as is Breaking Bad and Dexter.

Those are some of my favourites of recent years.

For Sci-Fi/Fantasy, I'd recommend "The Lost Room" mini-series which was very well conceived and acted.

I don't know if there are any really good sci fi on TV at the moment. Most of it seems to be stupid vampire shows riding on the Twilight wave.

My favourite show at the moment is 24 because I love the relentless pace and I like the format. Suspension of disbelief is essential but once you're past that, it's a great show.

Other good, must watch shows are The Wire, Breaking Bad, Californication and House. The Wire ended it's 5 season run last year, but the other ones are still running.

Lost is up and down for me, some episodes are good but then they go right back into the plodding pace of seasons 2 and 3. It's a huge love-hate relationship for me. I've stopped watching Heroes and I hope they don't bring back Prison Break.

Stargate: SG-1 (plus the two movies that wrap up the series)
Stargate: Atlantis
True Blood (more fantasy than sci-fi...vampires, murder, and sex)
Eureka

I don't know if there are any really good sci-fi on TV at the moment. Most of it seems to be stupid vampire shows riding on the Twilight wave.

It's really not. Theres are currently one vampire shows on TV. And it's a completely different demographic than Twilight. Angel finished years ago, and last years Moonlight, while good, was a victim of the writers strike. If it had come out this year, it would have done much better.

But you are right about the Sci-fi. I'm not even going to pretend that BSG has been above the level of "poor" since halfway through s3, so there's been no good sci-fi since, probably, Journeyman or Jericho.

You can keep up to date with all current, first airing TV shows with my handy [self-pimp incoming] TV Listings Calendar.

It currently tracks more than 200 of *currently airing* TV shows. You can make an account, and select only the shows you actually watch, to make it seem less imposing. New shows are added all the time, and first episodes are highlighted, so you dont miss the start of the series.

Last edited by a moderator:
It's really not. There are current ZERO vampire shows on TV. Angel finished years ago, and last years Moonlight, while good, was a victim of the writers strike. If it had come out this year, it would have done much better.
What I said was of course hyperbole, but you have True Blood which is on hiatus and Demons which is currently running and I seem to remember something else too, but I can't be bothered to look for it because I don't like shows like that at all.

Demons won't be coming back. I had forgotten (I admit) about Trueblood, and have edited my previous post to show as such.

Non Sci Fi but awsome

How I met your mother. Its the most well written show on tv.

Not Sci Fi but has a bunch of Science and Geek humor

Big Bang Theory.

Those are the best two shows on tv.

For Sci Fi , Supernatural is pretty good and Smallville is okay. IF you never watched Smallville hte first 4 seasons were great but now they are in season 8 or 9 and its starting to get better again but inbetween season 4 and 8 it got really bad at some points

anyone got an opinion on
roswell
the 4400
carnivale
invasion
jericho
Joan of Arcadia
Kyle Xy
reaper
Regenesis

I liked 4400 in the beginning, but then I fell off and didn't watch it again. Jericho is ok-ish, I like the premise, but season 1 degenerated into Seventh Heaven with Bombs. Season 2 was more action-filled.

Carnivale is supposed to be weird but good, but I haven't seen it.

My real favorites: Dexter, Life, Reaper, Eureka, The Mentalist, The Middleman, Sanctuary, House, Entourage, Scrubs.

Other watchables: Chuck, Burn Notice, Supernatural.

New shows: Dollhouse.

Non Sci Fi but awsome

How I met your mother. Its the most well written show on tv.

Not Sci Fi but has a bunch of Science and Geek humor

Big Bang Theory.

Those are the best two shows on tv.

For Sci Fi , Supernatural is pretty good and Smallville is okay. IF you never watched Smallville hte first 4 seasons were great but now they are in season 8 or 9 and its starting to get better again but inbetween season 4 and 8 it got really bad at some points

Big Bang Theory? Seriously?

It's probably the most cliche ridden, bland as hell series on TV right now.

Yeah, but it's full of geek humour. How can you fail to like a show with lines like "I refuse to watch 'Clone Wars' the series before I've seen 'Clone Wars' the movie - I want to be disappointed by George Lucas in the order in which he intended."

Its a fun show. I like the way the group interacts . Tonights eps was really funny and you can see the "geeks" starting to turn penny. Its really the first pop culture geek show on tv . Tonight they refreneced the lovely its Trap gifs that are popular on the web.

While we're at it, can anyone recommend a SF/fantasy show which does not contain cute kids, cute animals or alike, cheesy love stories and all that housewives stuff?

While we're at it, can anyone recommend a SF/fantasy show which does not contain cute kids, cute animals or alike, cheesy love stories and all that housewives stuff?
Well, the Stargate series (both SG-1 and Atlantis) almost always avoided those sorts of stories. Same with Doctor Who (but then, if you don't watch that and you like sci-fi, well, you need to get your head examined...).

As for currently-running shows, I'm not sure. Dollhouse seems to not have this sort of drama, and is picking up. But we'll see how that goes. Eureka has a bit, but is a really fun show that I'd highly recommend checking out if you haven't already. I don't think it lays it on thick like Smallville or shows like that.

The Best
The Wire

Great
Deadwood
House
Dexter
Life On Mars

Good
Weeds
Lost
Bones
CSI:Vegas Criminal Minds
Without a Trace
Hustle

Watchable
Numb3rs
The 4400
Heroes
Battlestar Galatica
CSI:NY

It's a bit difficult to rank them as some show don't maintain the same level of quality throughout their lifetime, some get better, some get worse. 24, for instance, has a great first season and a very good second, but declines afterwards until it becomes unwatchable.

Back