Tv Shows

Well, the Stargate series (both SG-1 and Atlantis) almost always avoided those sorts of stories. Same with Doctor Who (but then, if you don't watch that and you like sci-fi, well, you need to get your head examined...).

As for currently-running shows, I'm not sure. Dollhouse seems to not have this sort of drama, and is picking up. But we'll see how that goes. Eureka has a bit, but is a really fun show that I'd highly recommend checking out if you haven't already. I don't think it lays it on thick like Smallville or shows like that.

Stargate was relatively civil, one of the better shows in that regard. I like Atlantis quite a bit, although there are many "filler" episodes, as was the case with Stargate.

I generally prefer a more coherent, long storyline as with most of Babylon 5 (fillers aside) and the later more epic Deep Space 9 parts. Pity there aren't more series like that.

I liked Dr. Who quite a bit, but unfortunately it flopped totally after just a few episodes and was thus canned. Too much for the soap/reality-TV spoiled german audience I suppose.

Eureka - to me it's a show for teens, very "light" content and it features a genious kid too. Not bad as such, but nah.

I'm so missing "Lexx - The Dark Zone", that was exactly to my liking (though it would have needed a bigger budget for SFX and better actors, but that's another story). The idea and the atmosphere just rocked.

Haven't had a chance to see Dollhouse, looking forward to that although Elisa Dushku's face scares the shite out of me.

I liked Dr. Who quite a bit, but unfortunately it flopped totally after just a few episodes and was thus canned. Too much for the soap/reality-TV spoiled german audience I suppose.
Huh? Dr. Who is still going strong. It's on break right now, with one or two more specials planned, and then starting with a new couple of seasons starting next year, I think?

I'm so missing "Lexx - The Dark Zone", that was exactly to my liking (though it would have needed a bigger budget for SFX and better actors, but that's another story). The idea and the atmosphere just rocked.
That show was just so screwy and off the wall. Yeah, loved it.

That reminds me, though, did you watch Farscape?

Haven't had a chance to see Dollhouse, looking forward to that although Elisa Dushku's face scares the shite out of me.
Yes, I remember that about you. It mystifies me. But whatever, no biggie. Anyway, if you do check it out, I'd recommend at least giving it a chance by watching a good 6-7 episodes. It starts a bit slow, but picks up significantly.

Dr. Who was canned in german TV, that's what I meant. And being on cable, I can't watch anything else than the stupid junk we have here.

Yes, Farscape was quite fun but also canned after one season here. Seems like the audience here has exactly the opposite taste, meh. Stuff like teeny-junk SF or reality shows is what counts over here unfortunately. And the utterly awful casting shows full of untalented idiots.

Will take a look at Dollhouse as soon as I get a chance to watch it.

BTW, any good links for watching the "good" stuff online? Legal, of course.

True Blood

I hadn't even heard of this show...
I watched 2 episodes last night. Not bad, not bad at all. There is something that I like about small societies in little southern towns, and I'm guessing that the setting plays quite a role in this show.

Same with Doctor Who (but then, if you don't watch that and you like sci-fi, well, you need to get your head examined...).

Can you recommend a shrink? ;)

Despite being an SF nut, I've not been at all impressed with the new Doctor Who and have barely bothered to watch more than a single episode of each series. I've seen most of the 'Christmas Specials' and they've been rather meh as well. I've not seen any episodes of the Torchwood spin-off series at all so can't comment on those.

The new Doctor Who show (not the actors) is just too camp (and probably a bit mainstream) for me, I'm afraid. Not too surprising it was rather camp with Russell T. Davies running the show, however!

That said, most SF TV shows are shite in any case so I'm probably better off sticking to books...

Can you recommend a shrink? ;)

Despite being an SF nut, I've not been at all impressed with the new Doctor Who and have barely bothered to watch more than a single episode of each series. I've seen most of the 'Christmas Specials'

IMHO, the Christmas specials were sometimes nothing special but you should at least try to see "Blink", "Midnight", "Turn Left", and maybe "The Impossible Planet" and its sequel which were originally broadcast at very apt dates :).

Back