Help: Backing up PS3 HDD without PS3

deepbrown

Veteran
Odd title I know. Well my PS3 died and I'd like to back up my HDD somehow. I have lots of data, saves, and games that I won't be able to download again from my account....I don't want to lose them.

Is there a way of removing the HDD and copying the data over to my PC or some such and then copying it to a new HDD afterwards?

Or even...could I remove the HDD and just put it in a replacement PS3 (if I get one)?

Thanks.

Just take it out and put it in your replacement. Save games and such should be fine but you may have to reset your PSN details. I think that should work anyway, it's just like upgrading really.

Odd title I know. Well my PS3 died and I'd like to back up my HDD somehow. I have lots of data, saves, and games that I won't be able to download again from my account....I don't want to lose them.

Is there a way of removing the HDD and copying the data over to my PC or some such and then copying it to a new HDD afterwards?

Or even...could I remove the HDD and just put it in a replacement PS3 (if I get one)?

Thanks.

Nothing you can do at this point. If sony doesn't ship you back the same PS3 it will force you to format it. Sucks man :(.

Thanks.

http://www.bixnet.com/usbporenfor2.html

Well, if you feel brave enough to use linux you can use dd to make an image of the hdd. You can put the data later into another hdd, but I don't know if that will work.

Nothing you can do at this point. If sony doesn't ship you back the same PS3 it will force you to format it. Sucks man :(.

Are you sure about that?What you say is weird...There is no way the PS3 ask you to format a PS3 HDD...It's already in FAT32.

I suggest Deepbrown to try with somebody else PS3 before spending some money ,or wasting time ;)

Are you sure about that?What you say is weird...There is no way the PS3 ask you to format a PS3 HDD...It's already in FAT32.

I suggest Deepbrown to try with somebody else PS3 before spending some money ,or wasting time ;)

I won't be spending any money either way.

Its a custom encrypted filesystem. Neither FAT NTFS or EXT.

You dont have any option unless you get the same PS3 back, as the encrypion of the drive is bassed on the PS3s hardware ID i believe. If you put the drive into another PS3 it will detect a different hardware ID and prompt you to format it.

Save files are your only big issue as you can easily get everything else back given a little time. I tend to copy save files, from certain games that i dont ever want to lose, off onto a usb stick evrey so often just incase.

Last edited by a moderator:
Its a custom encrypted filesystem. Neither FAT NTFS or EXT.

You dont have any option unless you get the same PS3 back, as the encrypion of the drive is bassed on the PS3s hardware ID i believe. If you put the drive into another PS3 it will detect a different hardware ID and prompt you to format it.

Save files are your only big issue as you can easily get everything else back given a little time. I tend to copy save files, from certain games that i dont ever want to lose, off onto a usb stick evrey so often just incase.

No. Many of my PSN games could only be downloaded once. Including WipEout HD.

If you send your PS3 in and Sony decided to replace the unit, wouldn't they transfer everything anyway? I mean, I'm 99.99999999999999% sure they would do that, or they run the worst business of all time. I guess it's always better to be safe than sorry, but if it doesn't seem to be doable due to copy protection schemes, I wouldn't worry about it.

If you send your PS3 in and Sony decided to replace the unit, wouldn't they transfer everything anyway? I mean, I'm 99.99999999999999% sure they would do that, or they run the worst business of all time. I guess it's always better to be safe than sorry, but if it doesn't seem to be doable due to copy protection schemes, I wouldn't worry about it.

They give you a new console on the day - you swap straight away. New console is delivered, you give them old one.

And if you send it in, they format the HDD.

No. Many of my PSN games could only be downloaded once. Including WipEout HD.

You can download your PSN games as many times as needed (even GT5P, Siren:Blood CUrse etc...),on 5 different systems ,using the same PSN ID...These are the terms of the contract when you purchase on the PSStore...

You can download your PSN games as many times as needed (even GT5P, Siren:Blood CUrse etc...),on 5 different systems ,using the same PSN ID...These are the terms of the contract when you purchase on the PSStore...

Not if you get press games. Once only.

Plus I would've liked to have deactivated my PSN names from that console - because I'm now down to the four.

Not if you get press games. Once only.

Plus I would've liked to have deactivated my PSN names from that console - because I'm now down to the four.

Hmmm...Hmmm...I'm a little bit dubitative...I'll check on the PSStore tonight...I've already downloaded WipeoutHD and Siren:Blood Curse twice,on the same PS3 but different HDD...But i'm pretty sure the terms and conditions are the same for all the PSStore Games...:oops:

Back