NVIDIA shows signs ... [2008 - 2017]

Status
Not open for further replies.
So how is that going to go?

Do they reassure consumers about the rest of your product line by pointing out that only certain parts are affected? But in naming them potentially piss off the OEMs leaving them with a pile of stock as consumers look for alternatives?

Perhaps they are just going to officially spread the blame around. :LOL:

Mostly I expect they want to reassure stock holders to slow the fall, but I'm not quite sure how they would go about it without causing other issues.

I've a Dell Vostro 1500, using a 8600M GT and I'm really worried at the moment. I've extended warranty (3 or 4 years) but how will they handle this problem?

TGDaily:

For example, we heard that some vendors consider the launch of the GTX 260/280 series as “the worst product launch in the history of Nvidia” and Nvidia may be selling “less than 3000 GTX 260/280 cards per month” in the North American etail market. This scenario not only creates a huge problem for Nvidia, but also for retailers that are now trying to find solutions how to move their stock.

It seems that some large stores have given up on putting extra effort in promoting GTX 260/280 cards for now and are changing their strategy towards other products that are easier to sell. Interestingly, Newegg.com appears to be leading the charge, heavily promoting 8800 GT cards directly against the GTX 280: “Whatever your favorite game, an Nvidia GeForce 8800GT in SLI mode (that's 2) provides the best bang-for-the-buck performance for less than $299,” the promo ad reads.

That is awesome. Wow with prices like this the PC games should start to take advantage of newer better graphics chips as the installation base should grow faster.

nvidia must be feeling pretty blue about creating such a big powerful gpu and then having to slash the price down from $650 to $450 in a couple of months. You know how they love their margins. Should be interesting on the next conference call ;)

It hasn't even been a month yet and already down $200 from launch. That's staggering to be honest. It will be very interesting to see how the market has accepted these cards a month or two out from now.

Mine too. Are they eating the costs or are they getting cash from nVidia?

Either way, cool beans and a class move. I'll definitely remember they did it for a while. :)

Mine too. Are they eating the costs or are they getting cash from nVidia?

Well, it's not necessarily either/or. . .it could be a combination. But surely they aren't the only two NV partners, so. . . . where are the other announcements if nvidia is eating all the costs?

Oooof! Now we see if AMD really want to hurt Nvidia and drop the prices again. Cheap graphics cards all round!
I don't think they'll lower their prices just yet.

They probably want to continue giving AIB partners some good margins, especially after R600 and RV670.

XFX and EVGA just went up two levels of esteem in my book.

Indeed.

Damn, I just wish ATI had some AIBP's like EVGA and XFX.

AMD isn't going to drop just because Nvidia dropped theirs. Their products are still competitive at their current price point, sacrificing profit to move products that are already selling well just doesn't make sense. But retailers and AiBs might get into some competitive pricing, especially once we start seeing the factory OC cards.

If Nvidia cards were selling well at the initial price point, they wouldn't have cut prices regardless if they were perceived as competitive by reviewers/forum goers.

AMD isn't going to drop just because Nvidia dropped theirs. Their products are still competitive at their current price point, sacrificing profit to move products that are already selling well just doesn't make sense.
It does if you think you can crush you opponent(s) and dominate the marketplace. I think NVidia could have done that with G71/G73 vs. R580/RV530, but instead they decided to just go for margins.

I don't think NVidia expected R600 to be such a flop, especially looking at how good Xenos was, but if they knew, I think it might have been worth it for NVidia to go for volume instead of margins with G7x.

Anyway, I agree that AMD isn't going to do that. Prices are low enough right now.

I don't think they'll lower their prices just yet.

They probably want to continue giving AIB partners some good margins, especially after R600 and RV670.

Indeed.

Damn, I just wish ATI had some AIBP's like EVGA and XFX.

BFG is in on it as well.

My last purchase was from BFG so I am happy to hear it though I did not get one of those cards.

BFG is in on it as well.

My last purchase was from BFG so I am happy to hear it though I did not get one of those cards.

Good to see the big 3 stepping up to the plate like that. Makes me happy I went with EVGA for my 8800 GT purchase earlier this year :)

I do gotta admit. The rebates were an unexpected surprise. I knew about the price drops.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back