[PS3] Metal Gear Solid 4 *spoilers*

I think that playing them it order would be better. For instance,
a huge part of the reveal in Act 3 revolves around knowing what happened to The Boss. And if you play MGS3 you know just how awesome she was, and all that exposition actually makes sense. If you don't, I feel you're left just with knowledge that everyone's doing it in the memory of Big Boss' mentor.

My point exactly, and not only the more ample expositions regarding the past events, but also the little details, like for example after the Raven battle when the wounded Eva says : "I only get off my bike when i fall in love or fall dead", or Big Boss's revelation when he collapses in front of The Boss's grave, these are scenes that litterally brought tears to my eyes because having played 3, i know how they relate to it.
And then there's the little jokes and references and all the satire, basically a whole new level of depth.
I'm so glad i jumped on the wagon like 6 or 7 years ago, otherwise i would have missed a once in a lifetime experience :smile:

Ha ha... I missed out.

Oh well, at least I played MGS 1. The only moment I savored was the simultaneous entrance of the Shadow Mosses and "The Best is Yet to Come". I thought that was well played.

I also think MGS3 is the best MGS. It's actually the first MGS game that I really liked and to this day it stands as one of my favorite games of all time - the story could easily stand on its own without the other games. Hopefully in MGS5 we'll be playing as BB again.

Ha ha... I missed out.

Oh well, at least I played MGS 1. The only moment I savored was the simultaneous entrance of the Shadow Mosses and "The Best is Yet to Come". I thought that was well played.

I think it's still worth playing, but if you do, make sure you get Subsistence, and be prepared to deal with classic MGS gameplay. MGS: The Essential Collection comes with the Subsistence version of the game (though not the whole package), if you need to find a copy.

MGS3 had better bosses, I felt. The End is, of course, the stand-out in every way. I'm referring to Subsistence, naturally, with the better camera. I can't imagine how painful it must be to play with a fixed camera.

I haven't played Subsistance, but having played and completed MGS4, I can imagine how that would make the game a more progressive experience. Despite this, I have to say, I *like* the painful fixed camera in MGS3. It forces you to crawl, take your time and switch into first-person-mode on a regular basis to make sure there aren't any enemy sentries near by ready to spot you. The experience is very intense because of this. You wouldn't want to be running around in the jungle in enemy territory and I feel that a moveable camera somewhat makes this possible.

I guess the fixed camera also made the game longer because you can't progress as quick.

What I also like about MGS3 is less focus on the weapons. I don't feel like a walking one-man army tank like I did in MGS4 being stacked with multiple machine guns. In Snake-Eater, it's mostly CQC and stealth all the way.

Boss fights, I agree - nothing beats the encounter with 'the end'. I nearly died having a heart attack when he snuck up behind me while I was looking for him through the visor. That battle was eventually won after 3 hours of careful sniping, crawling and changing positions. The great thing is, you're not limited to sniping and being able to sneak up on the end while he hasn't seen you is a very rewarding experience.

Oh, don't worry - It took me much longer than most would, but I enjoyed it so much that it immersed me into the whole sniping act. Crawling, checking first-person-mode, taking out the diretional-microphone and listening for grunts or other signs of 'the end' in the wide landscape before me. The experience was so intense, that I found myself sweating away, being nervous not knowing who would spot one first - he me or me him, knowing that one shot could be fatal.

Of course, you can play this battle differently - there are great easter eggs (save and switch of the console and wait for a week) or simple try to find him and ditch the whole crawling part. You can definately play the battle with more action and I'm sure you could defeat him in a few minutes. In fact, I'm not even sure if you *have* to beat him. If he gets you and keeps you alive, it's not game-over, but you lose a few items like weapons (if I recall correctly). My bet is once you've gotten so far in the game though, you would want to enjoy as it is one of the more intense and awesome battles in the game.

The game does get better though - the landscapes, the atmosphere and the humour. Patsu, you HAVE to get the game and give it a go. IMO, it's the best MGS game outthere.

You can actually bypass the fight entirely if you react quickly after the end of a certain cut-scene. You'll get an angry call from Zero who basically calls you a coward if you choose that kinda cheap way, though - Very cool and just one more example of all the attention to detail in the game.
Also don't forget to call Sigint when you're hiding in a cardboard box.

You can actually bypass the fight entirely if you react quickly after the end of a certain cut-scene. You'll get an angry call from Zero who basically calls you a coward if you choose that kinda cheap way, though - Very cool and just one more example of all the attention to detail in the game.
Also don't forget to call Sigint when you're hiding in a cardboard box.

You can bypass him completely if you meet The End and then change the PS2 time setting to one year later.

He will die, of age, not of you :LOL:

Other thing is to try to find his pet parrot and kill it, he gets really angry.

And, if you lose (he tranquilizes you), he just brings you to the jail, and promptly asks you to try again :p
No harm done :p

You can bypass him completely if you meet The End and then change the PS2 time setting to one year later.

He will die, of age, not of you :LOL:

Other thing is to try to find his pet parrot and kill it, he gets really angry.

And, if you lose (he tranquilizes you), he just brings you to the jail, and promptly asks you to try again :p
No harm done :p

Or just snipe him on the bridge when you first meet them all...

that happend to me too. I was fed up of not being able to kill him, so I left the game for some time. I completd SOTC meanwhile and came back one day, feeling frustrated that I would have to fight that old bastard again, but guess what !.................He had died of old age :D! That was hilarious to me, and it felt great too :cool: ! I laughed quite a lot and called up my friends to tell them that a boss had died of Old age !!!!!

It can happen only in a MGS :p

Hope this isn't old
Metal Gear Solid 4 hits 4.5 million, Konami posts $195 million profit

By Tom Magrino, GameSpot Posted Feb 5, 2009 1:48 pm PT

Solid Snake continues to inject liquid currency into Japanese publisher, which saw sales rise to $2.56 billion for last nine months of 2008; full-year outlook lowered, however.

Solid Snake continues to get it done for Konami. Today, the Japanese game maker reported its results for the April-December period, saying that total revenues for the first nine months of its 2009 fiscal year grew 5.1 percent to ¥234 billion ($2.56 billion). Konami's profit margins also continued to outpace the year-ago period, given that net income rose 17.3 percent to ¥17.8 billion ($195 million).

Konami's Metal Gear Solid 4: Guns of the Patriots, which was released exclusively for the PlayStation 3 in June, continued to be one of the company's top performers. The top-rated action adventure sold more than 4.5 million units in 2008, shifting approximately 500,000 additional copies in the October-December quarter.

For the first nine months of its current fiscal year, which runs from April 1, 2008 to March 31, 2009, Konami has sold 22.35 million software units across its various franchises. In addition to Metal Gear's gains, the publisher has been bolstered by the success of its Pro Evolution Soccer franchise, which has sold more than 7.41 million units during the nine-month period. Other top performers for the game company include Castlevania: Order of Ecclesia for the Nintendo DS, as well as installments in its perennial Dance Dance Revolution rhythm franchise.

Despite Konami's positive growth during the period, the publisher provided a warning to investors that the global economic downturn will have a negative impact on its full-year returns. Citing slower consumer spending and a strengthening of the yen, Konami revised its full-year revenue and profit outlook downward. The publisher now expects revenues to rise 3.2 percent to ¥307 billion ($3.36 billion) during the year, with profits now projected to grow a mere .3 percent to ¥18.5 billion ($203 million).

http://www.gamespot.com/news/6204195.html?tag=latestheadlines;title;2

So 33% of Konami sales are from PES across all platforms, and 20% from MGS4 alone. 53% of their total sales from those two franchises.

With FIFA overtaking PES, no new MG scheduled for 2009, and the current economic climate, I fear for their FY2010.

On the topic of Metal Gear

I absolutely hate MGS2!!!, I beat the original non subsistance version, and wow I was just itching for that game to end especially after the first act :mad: Strut A,B,C can go F....ur...s...elf

If I had to rank the MGS games it would go in order of MGS3,MGS4,MGS1,------->MGS2

Hm. I think I might even rank MGS1 up over MGS4, myself. MGS4 was great and all, but I recall my experience playing MGS1 much more clearly.. it felt like it was more gameplay focused and less cut-scenetastic. I liked MGS2 a lot as well. The opening cinematic and the weather effects on the river were fantastic. Also, the 60fps gameplay just felt so smooth for a PS2 game.

MGS4 came out before I got more than a couple of hours into MGS3, though. I was racing through the MGS box set that Konami released a couple of months before MGS4 came out.. had never played any of them.

I need to go back and play some of these, again. It sure would be nice if Konami did come out with that trophy patch for MGS4..

I've always been more interested in the story, cinematorgraphy, script, photography and video editing aspects in a MGS game, with gameplay beeing secondary as importance.

In these aspects MGS4 >>MGS3>>>MGS2>MGS:TTS

Every single MGS game is a masterpiece in it's own right though, but it's amazing how the developers skills grew along with franchise.

Btw, does anyone know what was the site that had an in depth interview with Hideo Kojima about every single MGS3 cutscene? They had tons of production details and interesting stuff in there about challenges and development of each particular scene, and i'm thinking those guys must have something similar on MGS4 as well. I can't find that site anywhere.

Last edited by a moderator:
MGO SCENE Dated and Priced

http://blog.us.playstation.com/2009...e-–-scene-expansion-release-date-and-details/

We’re happy to announce the official release date and more details about the SCENE Expansion pack for Metal Gear Online. SCENE will be available separately for $9.99 and offered as a bundle with the second MGO Expansion pack, MEME, for $14.99 as well as all three expansion packs – GENE, MEME, and SCENE, for just $17.99 on March 17, 2009 via Metal Gear Online’s in-game shop and Konami’s shop.

[gt]46256[/gt]

So, how are thgese special characters playable? Is it like the MP mode where everyone has to kill Snake and Snake had to collect tags? A seperate mode for every character?

or is it like if u level up this much then u can play as Raiden?

Back