RUMOR: Xbox 360 20GB SKU to be replaced by 60GB SKU

To get somewhat back on topic. DigiTimes is reporting that Lite-On will be supplying Blu-ray ROM drives for "the next-generation Xbox 360 game consoles." These shipments to Microsoft will start in the second half of 2008. They also note that the new console will change from a 210-watt power supply to a 170-watt power supply. As always, take this with a pinch of salt.

Source: DigiTimes

Tommy McClain

I was thinking April fools, actually.

This would have to be an APril fools joke. I would think we would have leaks on silicon way before storage medium. Too early to set a medium let alone order the hardware. As I remember the choice between hd-dvd and dvd on the 360 came down to the wire or at the very least was the last major hardware decision.

To get somewhat back on topic. DigiTimes is reporting that Lite-On will be supplying Blu-ray ROM drives for "the next-generation Xbox 360 game consoles." These shipments to Microsoft will start in the second half of 2008. They also note that the new console will change from a 210-watt power supply to a 170-watt power supply. As always, take this with a pinch of salt.

Source: DigiTimes

Tommy McClain

Yes, it's 1st April… and xbox 360 have already a 175 watt power supply.;)

Built-in Blu-ray is doubtful, but a 60GB SKU is more likely as we see news like this. 20GB is too small for download contents.
http://windowsitpro.com/article/articleid/98735/original-content-coming-to-xbox-360.html
In a move that appears to mirror Microsoft's misguided attempts a decade ago at turning its MSN online services into an entertainment portal, the software giant this week revealed that it has signed the first in a series of deals that will bring original entertainment content to its Xbox 360 video game console. Microsoft has signed an agreement with Safran Company, headed by Hollywood producer Peter Safran, to produce original, fictional TV show-type programs specifically for the Xbox 360.

The question, of course, is whether this move makes any sense, now or in the future. In addition to its questionable demographics, most of the 18 million Xbox 360 consoles sold thus far have extremely limited storage space, making downloadable content unviable. And it's unclear whether consumers are looking for yet another way to acquire non-interactive entertainment content. Most Xbox 360 users already have televisions, cable systems with On Demand functionality, Internet-connected PCs, and other similar ways to enjoy original programming.

"The Xbox is unique," Safran says. "It operates at a level outside of what we generally consider Web entertainment." Hey, he's from Hollywood, so he should know.

Persistent, those foolers: Blu-ray Xbox 360s may sell at a loss, say Taiwan makers.

"[T]he US$95-100 quoted for a BD-ROM drive is much higher than US$18-20 quoted for the DVD-ROM drives built into current Xbox 360s[...]."

Still not convinced this was an April Fool's joke. Yes, the content is doubtful, but that still doesn't mean they weren't being serious when they posted the story...

Jimmy Hsu, Taipei; Adam Hwang, DIGITIMES [Wednesday 2 April 2008]

Tommy McClain

Built-in Blu-ray is doubtful, but a 60GB SKU is more likely as we see news like this. 20GB is too small for download contents.
http://windowsitpro.com/article/articleid/98735/original-content-coming-to-xbox-360.html

The tone of that article is great. I especially love how it completely ignores the clearly successful Video Marketplace that already exists on the 360 and instead references MSN. Add the irony of his sign-off at the end implying that we should question the credibility of the source of the quote when it seems clear to me that the article writer's own credibility is very much in question and I literally LOL'd. Good stuff.

The official story: [UPDATE] While the Xbox 360 maker often falls back on its tried-and-true "Microsoft does not comment on rumors or speculation" mantra, the hardware giant will, on occasion, blow certain rumors out of the water when it sees fit. Today's rumor gristle apparently warrants such a response, as the publisher today told GameSpot, "Light-On is not manufacturing Blu-ray drives for Xbox 360. As we have stated, games are what are driving consumers to purchase game consoles and we remain focused on providing the largest library of blockbuster games available. For our customers who want a premium movie experience we offer the largest library of on-demand HD content available and the ability to play back DVDs in high definition."
source

most of the 18 million Xbox 360 consoles sold thus far have extremely limited storage space, making downloadable content unviable.

Bullchit

20 GB here and no problem with SD content downloads (plenty of room) and HD downloads can be done one or two at a time and deleted upon viewing when they expire anyway.... perfect for a movie "renter" like me.

I think it's coming to the EU, or at least the UK, any day now. Might have a slow rollout across EU nations though due to copyright rubbish.

It's been live *cough* in the UK since December.

Not sure about other countries. Google probably knows. ;)

20 GB here and no problem with SD content downloads (plenty of room) and HD downloads can be done one or two at a time and deleted upon viewing when they expire anyway.... perfect for a movie "renter" like me.

How much space does a 1080p or 720p movie take?

Really? That's even less than a double layered DVD.
I guess people are happy about the quality then.

Luckily they aren't stuck using mpeg2 and they also aren't stuck including various subtitles and languages as they are all released regionally.

Back