NVIDIA GT200 Rumours & Speculation Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Heh no. Thats the last thing I'd be worried about with 1 gig/896 of framebuffer.

Lol, k :). Thank you, that is what I was thinking but wasn't sure. I was going to buy a P45 for my system, but it doesn't seem worth the extra expense, so I'm sticking with a P35 solution, but it doesn't support PCI-E 2.0, thus my question.

If you are used to quiet Video cards, the 2900xt is "noisy" .. but at half-throttle, there is very little difference between my GTX and my XT.

If you happen to live in a quiet area without the AC or the fridge humming audibly along all the time and also happen to have a not-so-noisy rig, then HD2900 XT is very clearly audible - and quite a bit louder than 8800GTX too (I remember something like 2.x-ish Sone vs. 4.x-ish Sone for HD2900 XT) - which is almost twice as loud.

Yes, in the quiet countryside with no noise except maybe birds and insects, the 2900 XT was quite loud. But to be fair, in that same condition the 8800 GTX was also quite loud, although less loud. :p

Heck, any video card with a fan is LOUD out on the family ranch. And even the quietest low rpm 120 mm fans are LOUD.

Regards,
SB

Yes, in the quiet countryside with no noise except maybe birds and insects, the 2900 XT was quite loud. But to be fair, in that same condition the 8800 GTX was also quite loud, although less loud. :p

Heck, any video card with a fan is LOUD out on the family ranch. And even the quietest low rpm 120 mm fans are LOUD.

Regards,
SB

You ever heard a tractor or ATV? A 120 mm low rpm fan is not loud on a ranch :p

You need to find a different location if you want quiet.

Regards,
SB

look i live in that kind of place - except when the marine choppers fly overhead; i can barely hear the highway - late at night 3/4 miles away; my next door neighbor is 1/4 mile!

Would you like me to set up a mic and show you guys; Well, i mean demonstrate the relative audible differences? There is no practical difference in noise levels between 2900xt and 8800GTX; and i have an even quieter Thermalright cooler than the stock GTX cooler. However, when the load approaches 60% the 2900xt will really stand out; up till then, a noise princess would find both noisy - or a regular gamer like me probably won't notice as the 2900xt never reaches 60% in normal play.

i will be glad to do a comparison for you - if you need it. i have both cards still- and i can run my e4300 with the fan shut off - so that only leaves my OCZ PS noise as the other audio variable. :p
-2900xt is *audible*, yes; as is the GTX; but they are not irritating [like x1950p/x850xt/7800GS-OC].
[imo, of course; i had all of them]

Last edited by a moderator:
Solution

Did anyone already figure out how to fit 16 chips on one side.

Just to avoid speculation I'll give the answer.

There are 4 to the left, 6 to the top and 6 to the right

Did anyone already figure out how to fit 16 chips on one side.

Just to avoid speculation I'll give the answer.

There are 4 to the left, 6 to the top and 6 to the right

How about something else to end the speculation.
You don't fit 16 chips on one side, you have 8 on each side.
There are 2 to the left, 3 to the top and 3 to the right, and then the other 8 chips on the other side but slightly displaced,

You ever heard a tractor or ATV? A 120 mm low rpm fan is not loud on a ranch :p

You need to find a different location if you want quiet.

It is at night. :) We don't run our tractors or ATVs at 10pm. :D Although during weening season, the calfs are pretty darned noisy at night. :)

Regards,
SB

How about something else to end the speculation.
You don't fit 16 chips on one side, you have 8 on each side.
There are 2 to the left, 3 to the top and 3 to the right, and then the other 8 chips on the other side but slightly displaced,

Indeed, and what if you interleave twice what you say ?

Some other interesting images... :LOL:

20080607d6ac1e661e770b4ja9.jpg

l2jj2j7x.jpg

20080608_fdc53e7275eee7705b28DcjxS0I2TcAS.jpg

So it seems that in G200 (GTX280) there are 10 Thread Processor Clusters, each TPC has 3 Thread Processor Arrays, each TPA has 8 Thread Processors (=SP). Total 240. ;)

Some other interesting images... :LOL:

20080607d6ac1e661e770b4ja9.jpg
I don't get this. What is nvidia trying to say here? That a GF8/9 was only a DX9 card??? Are they desperately trying to find some new features as selling point?
25W for idle would be indeed quite reasonable (I think the radeon 3850/3870 are around 20W).

So it seems that in G200 (GTX280) there are 10 Thread Processor Clusters, each TPC has 3 Thread Processor Arrays, each TPA has 8 Thread Processors (=SP). Total 240. ;)
Yes, but this was pretty much known already (deduced from the 80 TMUs)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back