Warner Exclusive Blu-ray= More PS3 sold?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Any chance in hell

HD VMD Shipping for $199

nme-vmdbox.jpg

HD VMD uses red lasers instead of blue. Whether it’s pink, silver, or mauve, considering the state of HD DVD, I can’t imagine that anyone wants to buy into another iffy format, even if it is 1080p.

Sony & Pioneer were the brainchilds behind the technology and as for the license fee's...Matsushita (Panasonic) doesn’t benefit any more than any other Blu-ray association member. Come to think of it, I don’t think there on the Board of Directors anymore.

Different companies do get different cuts, and indeed Matsushita could be viewed as the original BD originator; Sony partnered with them early on in BD's development. Now, in terms of license fees I'm not sure that they actually get more than Sony or not, as Sony did sort of run with the thing to get it where it is, but different companies do get different cuts of the pie, and Sony and Panasonic will both be getting some of the larger slices. I'd imagine longtime optical partner Philips is right up there, and Pioneer likely has a nice piece as well. And of course Sun for the Java aspects.

Regarding VMD, I was under the impression these discs should have been readable in a standard DVD player. Or what that just internet noise? I cannot remember where I read/heard it.

Regarding VMD, I was under the impression these discs should have been readable in a standard DVD player. Or what that just internet noise? I cannot remember where I read/heard it.

They're not readable in standard DVD players; new players are required to handle the codecs/bitrates/layer numbers, even though the base technology is the same.

Actually, I also remember reading from somewhere that Sony is 3rd in terms of Blu-ray royalty payout. But my memory is vague now. Can't recall where I read that, and who the first two are.

EDIT: Ok, I found it. No idea where I got the #3 from but Sony is not the "biggest" in Blu-ray:
http://forum.beyond3d.com/showpost.php?p=946187&postcount=22
Read the AVS link to see more details.

EDIT 2: Fixed the link. It's one post up from the wrong one I posted. #1 is Panasonic, #2 is Pioneer. Doesn't seem to say Sony is #3 though. Thanks xbd (Am I getting too old now ? Am I ? :p)

Last edited by a moderator:
Would current decoder software on PC still work?

Well, the software should be an easy matter of getting running; whether the drive itself would work or not without a viable firmware update is questionable. I would think that a VMD 'compatible' ROM drive would be required specifically, even though on the surface everything is pretty much the same. Again I would attribute the high number of data layers as the main obstacle to the use of existing equipment.

That and the PQ was nasty compared to a cheaper stand alone.

You will have to find something to back that up. The PQ wasn´t terrible it was on par with standalones, IGN even did a test (performed by a HT freak) and came to the conclusion that it was a good DVD player.

The problem was the authoring of the Discs. A thing which went away when those who author discs added the PS2 to their test bench (like we did).

As a sidenote, before making this post i tried finding the IGN review which i know i have posted before. Man, did we have some juicy DVD/HD-DVD/Blu-Ray discussions.

One of my old posts (when i was younger and angry):

Then there will be more PS3 HD players than stand alone HD players.

And given that the PS3 launches closer to HD than it did to DVD it should be an even bigger factor than the PS2 was.

When BD was a new Betamax, all the "bullets" hit Sony. Now that BD is the eminent winner, Sony is not the biggest in BD camp LOL
I've always viewed BD as SONY's brain child, along with Pioneer - even before the BDA was established. Surely they stand to gain the most out of this?

I remember many debates back then about whether or not this was worth the gamble for SONY, not just with the PS3, but with the financial investments into the development of this technology. I believe it was SONY that made most of the progress in the blue laser field (200G version was developed by SONY).

When BD was a new Betamax, all the "bullets" hit Sony. Now that BD is the eminent winner, Sony is not the biggest in BD camp LOL
Was it ever the new Betamax, ever since I took notice of it it's always had the most support from film companies.

It's a first for Sony, they developed a superior format and it's actually come out on top :LOL:

It's a first for Sony, they developed a superior format and it's actually come out on top :LOL:

People say that but I feel as if folk forget Sony's co-development of the CD with Philips (people have heard of CD right?) and the eventual standard 3.5" floppy disc. And truth be told, Minidisc was profitable on a global level, BETA was in use at least professionally right up until now, SACD although niche could be said to have beat out DVD-A... it's a history of a lot of introductions; some stick, some don't. But BD is certainly not the first, or even the most prominent.

It could be that Sony gave Matsushita (which is changing its name to Panasonic) the biggest share of the pie because Matsushita was instrumental in making VHS the winner.

But Sony reached out early to all the CE companies including Toshiba.

Or it could be that Matsushita, being the biggest CE company, has more patents, including precursor patents needed to make a lot of this happen.

If you look at the patent pool for the major codecs, you see companies from around the world, many of which seem to have little to do with movie players.

It could be that Sony gave Matsushita (which is changing its name to Panasonic) the biggest share of the pie because Matsushita was instrumental in making VHS the winner.

Well for the record, it was actually Matsushita that essentially came up with the idea of BD back in 99 or 2000 or somesuch; Sony started talking to them and they became partners in spearheading the development and setting the direction. Philips, Pioneer, and the usual cast of format partners came onboard as time went on. So... it's not a concession on Sony's part that Panasonic be so prominent in the pie - they really are that prominent! I do think though that Sony could be said to be the company that "ran" with the technology, as they have spent a lot of money not only in R&D but also in creation of the BD ecosystem. Afterall they replicate discs (largest BD replication facilities in the world), sell replication equipment to others, fabricate blue laser diodes, make drives, have movie studios, have included it in the PS3, put out their games on the format, etc etc...

So one can see where Sony stands to risk a lot more more or to make more than the other BDA companies on the format, their share of the royalty pie completely notwithstanding (and which of course they are a large slice of to begin with).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back