PS3 firmwares 2.0 and 2.10

I like how people build up their own huge list of wants for a 2.0 update (from 1.94) and then get upset. As mentioned before, this isn't bad at all for a 2.0 update considering what version they were on. I certainly would not want to introduce too many big changes during end of year and holiday season. Sometimes a bigger version number doesn't *always* equal what you see.

Overall, I think its a cool update!

People just need to relax. It will be here soon. GAP members just got a survey about XMB access with ingame messaging and custom soundtracks. It is coming so just settle down x_x.

I like how people build up their own huge list of wants for a 2.0 update (from 1.94) and then get upset. As mentioned before, this isn't bad at all for a 2.0 update considering what version they were on. I certainly would not want to introduce too many big changes during end of year and holiday season. Sometimes a bigger version number doesn't *always* equal what you see.

Overall, I think its a cool update!

I think people were expecting more due to the time gap. Previously, firmware updates had almost been a standard on the last Wednesday of each month. Then, it stopped for a couple. The hyping then started, and we are where we are today.

I wonder why this feature list is so small. 1.90 was released in late July, they should have come up with something more interesting by now. Perhaps they are waiting for the most crucial features to launch with Home.

And whoever made up that rumour with cross-game invites* and custom soundtracks should be ashamed of himself.
*does XMB support cross-game messaging by now? i'm not sure.

I wonder how many more updates they can get in before end of the year. HOME beta is suppose to start near end of this month or December.

I wonder why this feature list is so small. 1.90 was released in late July, they should have come up with something more interesting by now. Perhaps they are waiting for the most crucial features to launch with Home.
As Arwin said, they could be rewriting core technologies so the whole system runs differently, without adding any features yet. That's quite likely. I'd be surprised if the first attempt at the firmware was perfectly designed for all future scaling from the off! Chances are as Home and others have developed, Sony have seen a need to adapt the XMB to accommodate desired new features.

Or, if you subscribe to the precepts of Occam, the devs are just bone idle lazy and taken their time!

As Arwin said, they could be rewriting core technologies so the whole system runs differently, without adding any features yet. That's quite likely. I'd be surprised if the first attempt at the firmware was perfectly designed for all future scaling from the off! Chances are as Home and others have developed, Sony have seen a need to adapt the XMB to accommodate desired new features.

Or, if you subscribe to the precepts of Occam, the devs are just bone idle lazy and taken their time!

I just think calling that little update 2.00 is an overstatement on Sony's, because in the software world 2.0 usually bring some drastic changes. Especially that Microsoft is releasing their dashboard update probably early next month and if past Fall/Spring updates are any indication of what's to come, it is a huge PR failure on Sony's side IMO. Though if they launch open Home Beta this year as promised earlier, they will definitely redeem themselves.

Someone should test that "Some XMB settings slow down framerates" bug when 2.0 is released.

Over on the Linux kernel side, there have been some optimization in SPU scheduling recently too. ^_^ Can't wait for the next update.

1) cuts PPE context switches roughly in half
2) performs SPE context switch in a single thread
3) more quickly utilizes spe resources
4) eliminates latencies in the scheduling
5) allows spe exceptions and errors to be handled asynchronously
6) eliminates activations / deactivations when handling library routines

http://ozlabs.org/pipermail/cbe-oss-dev/2007-November/003474.html

I just think calling that little update 2.00 is an overstatement on Sony's, because in the software world 2.0 usually bring some drastic changes.
In applications, yes. In firmware, not necessarily, especially if you're on Engine 2.0 without changing the feature set. If Sony named their firmwares with letters instead of numbers, there's be no problem. Unless Sony actually went on record saying 'all full integer firmware increments will be accompanied by a major feature update' than sure, give 'em hell. Otherwise people are measuring them by a set of standards which they're under no obligation to follow, because it's nothing more than a tradition. Besides if they were on 1.9 already and the changes were new features rather than bug fixes, it would warrant a whole 0.1 increase in value. The problem is more likely too many firmware releases! 10 in 10 months from 1.0 to 2.0?! The fools! Let's berate Sony for that too!

Almost 2 years.

http://www.gamasutra.com/php-bin/news_index.php?story=7847

But there have been more.

That's why I said 'soon' can mean anything...

Ok... that's the general PSN requirements (Some of it has been realized in XMB or in Home). I am more interested in the other survey (specifically about ingame messaging and custom soundtrack). When was the first one ? It's just for me to do some personal projection based on educated guess, nothing else. I won't even post my gut feel in any board.

No they aren't, but they are much more appealing that in game XMB as far as I'm concerned, which is what I said.

Fair enough. :)

It's one of those things you have to experience to learn you can't do without it I guess.

Unless of course you don't care for online at all / don't have any friends on the system...

It's just that almost every single time I turn on my 360, I start with talking to a friend or two while browsing the marketplace before I start my game. It's great, and there's no way back IMO.

Last edited by a moderator:
In applications, yes. In firmware, not necessarily, especially if you're on Engine 2.0 without changing the feature set. If Sony named their firmwares with letters instead of numbers, there's be no problem. Unless Sony actually went on record saying 'all full integer firmware increments will be accompanied by a major feature update' than sure, give 'em hell. Otherwise people are measuring them by a set of standards which they're under no obligation to follow, because it's nothing more than a tradition. Besides if they were on 1.9 already and the changes were new features rather than bug fixes, it would warrant a whole 0.1 increase in value. The problem is more likely too many firmware releases! 10 in 10 months from 1.0 to 2.0?! The fools! Let's berate Sony for that too!

I don't think that was my point though. Sony have not legal obligations to improve their online services and system functionality, that's for sure. However, their have sort of a moral obligation to improve gamer's experience and while I think music playlists etc. are nice and even necessary additions, they are not crucial ones. And since PS3 users have waited so long for that, everyone expected some incredibly cool things. If you think it's okay with what PS3 offers at the moment, then perhaps I have too high standards.

It seems Home will include most of the features I anticipate, but if the Beta doesn't launch this year, PS3 gamers will have lived one year without cross-game messaging etc., which is a sign that Sony are very slow at adding features - something that a number of updates won't make up for.

...which is a sign that Sony are very slow at adding features - something that a number of updates won't make up for.

If anything, it's a sign this stuff is hard to do. Especially when it's an afterthought...

That's my personal opinion on this anyway.

The good thing is they will pull it off. Eventually.

I don't think that was my point though. Sony have not legal obligations to improve their online services and system functionality, that's for sure. However, their have sort of a moral obligation to improve gamer's experience and while I think music playlists etc. are nice and even necessary additions, they are not crucial ones. And since PS3 users have waited so long for that, everyone expected some incredibly cool things. If you think it's okay with what PS3 offers at the moment, then perhaps I have too high standards.
Of course we want more, but at the same time look at how PS3 firmware has progressed! Lots added. Things just sadly take to much time! People's expectations for desired features pegged them at a 2.0 firmware on hope rather than anything. The complaint should be 'we want these features, dammit!' and not 'these features should have been added because this is a n.0 firmware number!' ;)

Back