Consistant / Reliable European / Other sales data source?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Acert93

Artist formerly known as Acert93
Legend
Collecting console hardware sales data for NA and Japan is pretty easy, but I am having problems finding reliable & consistant data for the "Third" major territory (Europe and "Other" i.e. Astralia and the like). By consistant I mean both in regularity (every month) as well as consistant sample size. The data isn't very useful if you never know if one month it includes some countries, and the next it might not... or worse, an eclectic situation where each console has inconsistant data relative to eachother.

So what are others using for Europe/Other? My spreadsheet isn't complete without this data :LOL:

the latter is for the German market, AFAIK.

:nope: Not anymore. Since the renaming to Growth for Knowledge, GfK has started to track multiple countries. I've seen sales numbers for Spain, Italy, Germany and Australia from them. I can only assume that they're are starting to track the whole of Europe, as the last worldwide sales numbers to consumers (be it the Nikkei numbers or the Koei numbers) were all based on NPD+Media Create / Enterbrain + GfK.

they also do nz + oz, now i wanna know why arent there more leaks of these numbers (*), u would think with all the hundreds/thousands of ppl paying for this data that leaks would occur (is it perhaps only 10s, if so how do they make a living?)

(*)perhaps various gov agencies could take pointers
though it does show you leaks occur when someone desires them (hence the name leak), lost my trail of though, talking about cirl buntings for some reason

Perhaps the high price of the data makes people unwilling to give them away for free ;) Plus the people that buy them are accountants and suits, who don't care for gaming themselves. They probably do leak the data, discussing it with their peers, only it's leaked into financial circles rather than the gaming community. Instead of sitting in a pub chatting with gaming journo's about the state of the gaming industry in Europe and letting slip some numbers, they're sat in coffee houses talking with investors about the same.

(yes, this theory is kinda reliant on some strong stereotypes! ;))

just saw this today, australian gfk numbers for the 3rd quarter of 2007

ps2 66,228
wii 61,027
xb360 40,467
ps3 27,533

also ds 139,483, psp 28,374

AC Nielsen is pretty good but we don't get those numbers unless a company publishes them in a PR, usually Nintendo.

Dunno if this is the correct thread for this news, but it's the only one i found after all:

Xbox 360 sales down in Europe

For the week ending October 21, European sales of the Xbox 360 were lower than all platforms other than the GameBoy Advance.
The Xbox 360 enjoyed an increase in sales following the release of Halo 3, but according to VGChartz data, only 37,303 consoles were sold last week.

In contrast, 70,322 Wii consoles and 64,087 PS3 consoles were sold during in the same time frame. The PS3 enjoyed a sales boost due to a recent price cut and introduction of a lower-priced 40GB model.

Full article:
http://www.gamesindustry.biz/content_page.php?aid=29883

I sort of have problems with official news sources - and GamesIndustry is as 'official' as it gets in gaming journalism - quoting VGChartz as their source for a story. But, whatever I guess. VGChartz ultimately is generally pretty close, but in Europe especially the source of their numbers is a huge question mark.

VHChartz is unrealiable for two reasons.

1. They give no concrete details on their sources, especially Europe.

2. They often disagree with established sources... and go back and later "correct" their data, indicating they don't believe their own numbers are extremely accurate.

I think it's pretty safe to say the PS3 has another sales spike though... :)

Let's see how long it will last.

Dunno if this is the correct thread for this news, but it's the only one i found after all:

Full article:
http://www.gamesindustry.biz/content_page.php?aid=29883

I read the same thing it make sense, a week ago it was :
PS3 +70.000 (price cut)
360 +40.000 (end of the halo III boost)

And the week before I don't remember exactly it was more for 360 and a lot less for the ps3.

So far two weeks is too early to estimate the effect of Sony price cut.
But it has clearly given the ps3 sales a boost but ps3 are going down, and MS will introduce is new sku/bundle soon.

We have to wait to see what happens 2 weeks is too short.

If XB360 has hit a 'slump' is there a hardware move or incoming price-drop that may have caused that? IIRC a price-drop is imminent, which would account for people holding off. We've seen them same on other platforms, a significant dip before a boost. I've actually lost track of XB360's prices! There's the incoming Arcade SKU. Seeing it (the 'Pro') available for £200 on Play was shocking as I'm sure that's not the RRP.

I'm not sure how reliable these are, but a few weeks ago at a KOEI media event they put up a set of numbers for the major console in major territories. I'll copy and paste what I found;

At CEDEC 2007, KOEI presented console sales figures for several countries. The columns on the chart are Japan, US, Europe, Korea, Taiwan, and combined. That's not every country in the world with console sales, but this is the first time I've seen Korea and Taiwan numbers.

http://www.watch.impress.co.jp/game/docs/20070927/mat05.jpg#
http://www.watch.impress.co.jp/game/docs/20070927/cedec_02.htm

Korea (Through August 2007)
360 - 136,000
PS3 - 5,000

Taiwan (Through August 2007)
360 - 102,000
PS3 - 47,000

Europe (Through July 2007)
360 - 3120,000
Wii - 2030,000
PS3 - 1300,000

US (Through July 2007)
360 - 5922,000
Wii - 3616,000
PS3 - 1613,000

Japan (Through September 2007)
Wii - 3523,000
PS3 - 1186,000
360 - 448,000

If you find any European data, that isn't sourced from fantasy-land VGChartz.com, then please share it ! Like you, I have big gaps in my spreadsheet, however I'll share what numbers I have got.

UK (As of June 9th, latest Chart-Track numbers I have sorry. The Wii has gone to 1,000,000 since then, according to Chart-Track it has been outselling the 360 and PS3 4:1 and 6:1 respectively, you might be able to extrapolate some numbers from that)
Wii – 618,278
PS3 – 281, 977
Xbox 360 - 1,193,088

Germany (These numbers were from a Sony PR at Leipzig Games Convention)
Xbox 360 - 281,000
Wii - 291,000
PS3 - 99,500

This is some European sales data from Nintendo.
It is the sum of sales in UK, France and Germany.

p39.gif

CW39's 360 peak was Halo obviously, and CW41's peak was PS3's drop to 399. What was released on Wii though?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back