So who's playing Warhawk?

BoardBonobo

My hat is white(ish)!
Veteran
Anybody playing it yet? It all seems to have gone very quiet since it came out. Whats the buzz?

From reviews it's supposed to be brilliant.

Not my cup of tea though as I prefer the online section to be additional to a good single player game. I don't really enjoy being slaughtered by people much better at the game than me :LOL:

Yeah, learing to fly the Warhawks isn't easy at all, especially when getting shot up by people who apparently got their flying skills polilshed in the Beta. Very fun game though, my onlymajor grip so far is that the game looses vsync quite often.

Yeah, especially the destroyed capital area, very reminiscent of Chicago in Crimson Skies. I played 8 man dogfights most of the day, wound up cranking the motion control senstivity to 100% so I don't have to flail like a madman to fly and actually got close to winning some games. No Vsync isssues at all in small games, but I figure I'll give larger team games another shot tommorow.

Yeah, learing to fly the Warhawks isn't easy at all, especially when getting shot up by people who apparently got their flying skills polilshed in the Beta. Very fun game though, my onlymajor grip so far is that the game looses vsync quite often.

Create a private room, password protect it, and play by yourself. Or have your friend jump in and go 1 on 1 to get better :p.

Game is awesome was in Beta but still haven't had a chance to buy it yet. Been to busy with Graw2.

It's downloading now at last.. Took a while until it would hsow up in the store for me.

I still feel sorry there wasn't any single-player campaign coz those videos they showed just looked out of this world IMO.

I can't understand how they couldn't get the game together unless their devteam was simply falling apart from internal strain or somethng.

Oh well! Maybe there will be a single-player misison expansion. I'd just loved to have seen that free-roaming streaming planet in action and assaulting those hovering battleships etc. Man that would have rocked.

Peace.

I'd LOVE to play the damn game if the US store would just accept my credit card :) Oh well, here's to hoping it actually comes out tomorrow in EU.

EDIT: No wait, it's out today in EU? Why the f*** am I at the office then!?

The same 5 maps as in the beta.

I wonder whether they ship the retail game on DVD or BD, and whether they bother making it playable from the disc...

All shop bought PS3 games come on blu-ray discs.

It's nothing to do with the size of the game, it's about piracy.

Damn only 5 maps?

After all this development time?

No wonder they had to punt the singleplayer.

I guess this would have to be a big hit before they'd do a sequel which would be a full-fledged game.

the maps are very big though. 1up mentions theres only 5 maps, but with a mix of ground and air battles, it makes it seem like 5 maps is plenty.

The game is absolutely fantastic... way better than I was expecting. The graphics aren't anything to write home about, but I was actually expecting a lot worse so it turned out to be a pleasant surprise. The important thing is that it plays crisp and there is never a hitch from latency or framerate. I wasn't expecting a game to mix online and arcade elements so well in a huge, versatile battleground all in a coherent, balanced and fun package. This game is an instant hit!

Things I love:
-Latency Tester , which activates before you host a game. The recommended player limit is then set for you based on your bandwidth

-Motion control of the warhawks is implemented extremely well.

-Games fire up QUICK! A game fills up pretty much 2 minutes after you start hosting. This is a pleasant surprise because as "hyped" as gears of war was with all its millions of copies sold and millions of players... I could never get a game started that quickly whenever I hosted... and gears can only hold 7 other players! My connection is deemed worthy of 20 players in warhawk. I find it amazing that 19 others join in a heart beat. (yes my settings on xblive are correct)

Things I hate:
-Motion control is all or nothing... once set as "on", motion control becomes default for ground AND air vehicles. Not necessarily bad... just would rather drive ground vehicles with the analogs.

-Beta players rock the house (you can tell which ones they are)... leaving the rest of us behind... for now...:devilish:

-Can't seem to get rid of the tooltip. (if someone knows how, let me know).

On a side note... I've always had the "sixaxis disconnects at random intervals" problem with my ps3. Used to bug the crap out of me in resistance until I stopped playing it altogether, hoping a network update will fix it. Now that warhawk is here and with fresh firmware... I decided to give it a go... only to have the problem rear it's ugly head again. Turns out on the official sony forums, they were replacing sixaxis controllers with the serial number: CECHZC1U (my serial number) so I called sony tech support. Surprisingly, the lady that got my case recommended that I return the whole system after I gave her the serial number on the back of my system. After some questioning, she reveals that I will be getting a "Sony certified refurbished system".

Anyone have any suggestions? I'm worried about this refurbished system... even more so if it's one of the newer software-emulation ps3's. If I can fix the issue without returning the system I'd be much happier. Has anyone here experienced the problem and fixed it somehow? The issue basically occurs midgame... and when it happens the ps3 usually registers the last motion that was on the controller (so if you were turning right and the controller disconnected, your character would turn right in a circle until the controller was detected again). The only thing I can think of is interference. I use the built in wifi on the PS3. The room it's in also has contact with a 2.4ghz cordless phone and also a gsm cell phone. Keep in mind that this occurs even when I'm not playing online. Anyways, any tips are appreciated... otherwise I have no choice but to risk a return.

Things that I have tried:
-reset controller via tiny button in the back of the sixaxis
-reset wifi settings
-another controller, but shares same serial (purchased on release at the same time).:cry:

What kind of connection do you have to support 20 mn games? I've got a 6M/768K setup that gets me about 640K actual upload, and that caps me at 8.

I have comcast with 8/768. I have a feeling their speedboost feature is skewing the connection settings a tiny bit... but my sustained throughput is usually 10/1.2off peak... I think the neighbors don't use comcast here yet or something else is going on.

Either way I haven't been getting any complaints when people are talking and there are no visible jumps when people move. I'm sure the game uses client side hit detection, so it's still possible for the host to see skipping if the lag was sufficient.

Back