Uncharted : Drake's Fortune*

Exclusive to BR based games ? I just know they spent a lot of space on storing the audio data and they sound great because of the production value and the fidelity. It should be possible to visit a SonyStyle store to find out.

The one I vistied a couple of months ago was demostrating Ninja Gaiden. I'd imagine they will use Heavenly Sword soon :)

Given that these games are all their first attempt, I think we should expect even more exciting/fitting things to come next.

Last edited by a moderator:
they spent a lot of space on storing the audio data and they sound great because of the production value and the fidelity.

Sure, and uncompressed is almost always better than compressed (lossy). But bigger files doesn't always mean better.

As you said though earlier, doing an AB comparison in a "Sonystyle" store is a bit on the impossible/no-no side. :devilish:

Though it would be interesting to see the reaction of bringing a xb360 with Gears and Bioshock into their store to "get a feel for the audio differences of the consoles" as I hook the heated rival up to Sony's best in their sound room. :LOL:

Though, one would have to wonder what kind of audio equipment they would have access to in such a scenario. I'll have to take a look next time I go.

Best solution is Ratchet and Clank method where you can see character struggling to change direction because of momentum and he even slide a little. This is very realistic for me and because you see ratchet struggle to change direction the delay makes sense and you learn to control character properly with expecting delay for momentum change.

Ratchet was in my mind when I posted my comment.
His animation is very smooth without player loosing control at any moment. Of course in case of Uncharted animation should not be as cartoony or exaggerated but I'm sure ND can do better than this.

[modhat]Save the 'audio quality relative to storage space' chatter for another thread please. This is Uncharted territory![/modhat]

Yes, I was searching in the Uncharted audio territory to see if this game matches its siblings :)

The only thing I found is a blurb from the Audio Director of the game: “If I could have a metric for how well the game is doing sound-wise, it would be how far I can get through this game [playing] with my eyes closed.”

I hope they make the jungle and waters come to life with the sound effects, especially at night.

If they want it to accentuate the experience, I like the dynamic music effect in Lair best (e.g., when you're discovered by the spotlights in the night level, the background orchestral score changes naturally to a "darker" and more urgent arrangement). In some sense, I become the conductor. It pumps up the adrenaline much better than something like rumble.

The other standard effects like flying debris in "3D space" are pretty well done in Heavenly Sword and Resistance. The theatrical background music in HS (something Resistance lacks) also fits the style very well. It gives the entire game a very movie-like experience.

Last edited by a moderator:
The Gamersyde movies show up an unfortunate glaring fault - a couple of Warner Bro's 'walking on thin air' moments. Not sure there's anything that can be done about that without more sophisticated physics based behavioural animation.

I like ihamoitc2005's suggestions above best. I also think may be they can cache and pre-calculate + randomize some animations based on the players' habits. So the final result can be a very personalized sequence.

The game has been plagued by "walk in the air" problems since the first time we saw it though. But this is something that can be fixed pretty late right ?

The Gamersyde movies show up an unfortunate glaring fault - a couple of Warner Bro's 'walking on thin air' moments. Not sure there's anything that can be done about that without more sophisticated physics based behavioural animation.

I noticed that too, but I think the majority of the time your in jungle/natural environments so it shouldn't be too big a deal.

If it were a platformer, that would suck. Although, with these guys' background, I'm surprised they would let this aspect slip.

The facial character animation in this is striking though. Near film quality.

I think PS3 Dirt had 7.1 sound whereas the X360 version may not have? Not sure if it's lossless.

There's another developer on AVS nothing that his game replicated data to minimize seeks.

I'm sure these games could be done on the X360. They'd just have to find a different solution knowing they'd have less storage.

Early splash effects in Lair were poor too, so there is still hope for Uncharted.

Yes, I hope water effect becomes better and also grass a little bit. Trees, buildings, characters all have amazing details and beautiful look but grass is not so great and water looks great but splashes are not so great, also waves are not 3d, no?

Agree entirely. Also in some scenes , as i can see from the latest videos the character doesn't cast shadow at all and this increases the "foreign body" effect (character looks like a foreign body in relation to the environment.)
Generally their light/shadows implementation looks pretty static in comparison with TR:LEGEND.

Also i would like to see more sophisticated things from their physics engine...

Agree entirely. Also in some scenes , as i can see from the latest videos the character doesn't cast shadow at all and this increases the "foreign body" effect (character looks like a foreign body in relation to the environment.)
Generally their light/shadows implementation looks pretty static in comparison with TR:LEGEND.

Also i would like to see more sophisticated things from their physics engine...

Well there is always tradeoffs but personally I think shadows should be the last thing to shave off for perfomance since it creates the "foreign body" effect. Perhaps the light in that scene is static, maybe they will change it for final...who knows except the devs! :smile:

Yes, I hope water effect becomes better and also grass a little bit. Trees, buildings, characters all have amazing details and beautiful look but grass is not so great and water looks great but splashes are not so great, also waves are not 3d, no?

In this video you can see Drake swim (just a second or two) without the splashes (at 3.46) and you can clearly see the ripples. Maybe it's a different build?

http://www.gamespot.com/video/932984/6179144/uncharted-drakes-fortune-gameplay-movie-8

New uncharted gameplay trailer:
http://www.gamersyde.com/stream_4772_fr.html

Very nice environment (Looks like HS has some competition. Heavenly Sword is more stylish/refined but this one is more free-roaming :) ).

I'd say the environment and character graphics are certainly not holding this title back. Great looking game.

They could keep everything exactly the same in this regard and base the sequel entirely on gameplay-animation and situational improvements.

AI seems kinda weak.

I had no idea they were planning as much platforming as I saw in the vid. It really draws attention to some of the inacurate footing that will hopefully be corrected.

Hats off to ND though on a great looking game.

Back