Rockstar's next franchise to be PS3 exclusive

Sounds like bollocks to me.. Just because:-

- If this we're true then that would mean the 360 ver. of GTA would get outright canned (meaning M$ effectively put $50 million dollars in Sony's pocket..)
- If it we're true then it wouldn't make sense considering Sony's strategic decision to get the Sly cooper guys to start working on the Open-world game "Infamous" which effectively is supposed to be poised to rival the likes of GTA and crackdown etc..
- This would also mean Take-Two is done for (which would mean I highly doubt they'd give up the company without a very aggressive fight...)

Just my view anyways.. Feel free to disagree..
-
I don't disagree (or agree for that matter :LOL:) I just don't know, but there are numerous compelling reasons for take 2 to be selling Rockstar on as I believe someone above touched on.

They could do without the hassle and if Sony pays them well for Rockstar they might cut their loses. They seem to be going down as it is even with Rockstar on the books so cutting down staff, passing on the problem to Sony (who are better placed to deal with the controversy) might seem like a very good idea at the minute.

Rockstar signing a deal with MS doesn't have a factor on who buys them, I am sure (if it's true) that Sony will be contractually obliged to release GTA IV on the 360, but they will obviously make there own exclusive PS3 "episodic" content so MS can no longer brag about it. Who knows, they might find a way out of it.

Infamous is different from GTA, but even if it was seen as a competitor Sony could schedule the release for a certain amount of time after GTA when everyone is bored to death of playing GTA anyway.

Doesn't that depend on the legalities of the agreement though?

What would happen if the guys at R* handed in their resignations and then setup shop in the office next door as a new Sony subsidiary (retaining owndership of all their previous IP)..?

Wouldn't this mean that any agreement made between R* and M$ regarding R* IP was void since R* [North] no longer exists/owns the IP in question?

I'm not sure how this would work given the interests of both M$ & Sony (I'm sure Sony would do everything they could to make sure M$ didn't get the game..)

On another note, from what I can tell Take Two are hanging on by a thread at the moment financially.. With all the controversy of Manhunt 2 (and the lack of sales thereof) coupled with the company's complete lack of top selling IP coming from anywhere outside of R* I find it hard to believe that Take Two could really stand on their own two feet after losing such a fundamental/integral part of the business..

Not that this will actually happen mind.. It's just fun to speculate.. :D

Well that's a lot of speculations and I can't really answer all of them per say. This is just a rumor, and I maybe crazy but there is some sense in it. All I can say is there could be a legal battle and taken to court if the contracts are complex enough to have a strong case for both sides(Sony & MS).

One case scenario is that Take-Two isn't finished making changes. We all heard that they fired and replace a lot of their higher ups this year. R* may also be part of their plan by seeking interest in selling them.

Take-Two is financially in trouble, yes. But they could do a contract to sell R* to Sony and still get the benefits of the GTA4 profits(which will be massive) and whatever Sony pay them to bring R* under their wings. They'll probably be financially stable after that to stand on their own two feets.

As the article states. It's doesn't affect the status of GTA4. I highly doubt Sony would try and force the issue(not bringing DLC to 360). MS won't allow it. They'll take both Sony and R* to court with a favorable case. And I think Sony doesn't want any of that.

Technically yes, though all they'd have to do is hand in their resignations and sign up to Sony ;) T2 keep the R* name and an empty studio.

Ever heard of a non competition agreement shifty? Its something that unless Take Two are complete retards probably made most people over at R* sign. Which means that unless Take Two says its ok, your out of a job for 6months to a year.

Its not as simple as just having everybody resign.

What would happen if the guys at R* handed in their resignations and then setup shop in the office next door as a new Sony subsidiary (retaining owndership of all their previous IP)..?

Well, they would all get sued, Sony would also get sued, and take two would have won instantly in any court. Take two would take any profits from whatever game they would make, they would also automatically get all IP rights from whatever new franchise they make. (And btw, Sony would not retain any ownership of R* previous title if this would ahppend).

I remember at the end of the Genesis era, Sony reportedly set up a new sports games studio in San Diego down the street from an established sports games studio and just poached all the employees over.

Of course, they didn't get an existing IP and certainly nothing as big as GTA.

What about that blog which was linked in this thread about how Rockstar is basically Take Two? If GTA was sold off, there would be very little left to run as a continuing business, no?

Take Two stock price keeps going down, nothing suggestion they are going to sell R*, atleast nothing that stock brokers believe

Well that's a lot of speculations and I can't really answer all of them per say. This is just a rumor, and I maybe crazy but there is some sense in it. All I can say is there could be a legal battle and taken to court if the contracts are complex enough to have a strong case for both sides(Sony & MS).

One case scenario is that Take-Two isn't finished making changes. We all heard that they fired and replace a lot of their higher ups this year. R* may also be part of their plan by seeking interest in selling them.

Take-Two is financially in trouble, yes. But they could do a contract to sell R* to Sony and still get the benefits of the GTA4 profits(which will be massive) and whatever Sony pay them to bring R* under their wings. They'll probably be financially stable after that to stand on their own two feets.

As the article states. It's doesn't affect the status of GTA4. I highly doubt Sony would try and force the issue(not bringing DLC to 360). MS won't allow it. They'll take both Sony and R* to court with a favorable case. And I think Sony doesn't want any of that.

T2 is not only the pub for Rockstar but also it owner so I doubt Rockstar actually owns any of the IPs or as a company receives any profits as T2 just pays for Rockstar's operating expenses. Sony would just get the name and the talent with no gaurantee that some of the talent might migrate elsewhere.

T2 would probably retain GTA and all the source code and art. Its not like GTA is a technical tour de force anyways. Its popularity is based on its gameplay, story and humor. Replicating the gameplay is the easy part, but the story and the humor would be dependent on who gets the writers and the producers.

I can see T2 getting rid of Rockstar as it acts as T2's development division and is composed of 9 different studio located all over the world. However, looking at the number of studios versus the number of major titles that come out of Rockstar, it would seem that Rockstar is a very big financial burden on T2. T2 might sell off all or parts of Rockstar and just pay other 3rd party independent devs to work on games that can't be handle by T2's internal teams due resource limitations.

Ever heard of a non competition agreement shifty? Its something that unless Take Two are complete retards probably made most people over at R* sign. Which means that unless Take Two says its ok, your out of a job for 6months to a year.
That's true. Didn't think of that.

Take Two stock price keeps going down...
That is the way their heading, though they've just had an upswing.

"Take-Two shares closed today up $1.64, or 11.94 percent to $15.38."
http://www.next-gen.biz/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=6764&Itemid=2

T2 is not only the pub for Rockstar but also it owner so I doubt Rockstar actually owns any of the IPs or as a company receives any profits as T2 just pays for Rockstar's operating expenses. Sony would just get the name and the talent with no gaurantee that some of the talent might migrate elsewhere.

T2 would probably retain GTA and all the source code and art. Its not like GTA is a technical tour de force anyways. Its popularity is based on its gameplay, story and humor. Replicating the gameplay is the easy part, but the story and the humor would be dependent on who gets the writers and the producers.

I can see T2 getting rid of Rockstar as it acts as T2's development division and is composed of 9 different studio located all over the world. However, looking at the number of studios versus the number of major titles that come out of Rockstar, it would seem that Rockstar is a very big financial burden on T2. T2 might sell off all or parts of Rockstar and just pay other 3rd party independent devs to work on games that can't be handle by T2's internal teams due resource limitations.

I agree. Sony benefit in all this is getting R* talent unless a high percentage of them decides to leave. The titles that R* where involve with will most like stay with T2. That's becomes a separate negotiation if T2 were out to sell the trademarks.

Interesting enough, if T2 decides to move forward with GTAV they'll have to buy some new talent. A lot of pseudo GTA's aren't in the same caliber.

Its not as simple as just having everybody resign.

That is true. Then again, those agreements usually also have clauses that allow the new employer to pay off the original employer. Not that it would make much sense when talking about hijacking the entire staff of another company, but still :)

Indeed they are, I was looking down the side in the "See also" part, they all had SQL errors.

Shame Kotaku didn't run the story originally as they would tell us if Sony told them to pull the story like they did with the whole home fiasco last year :LOL:

Back