So, do we know anything about RV670 yet?

benchj.png

It's not a surprise, Crysis doesn't bring major changes in the hierarchy, but confirms the 8800GT's performances, which are only really outgrown in 1600 x 1200 + filters, although 512 MB are still enough for the HD 2900 XT which doesn't collapse under this mode. The Radeon manages to reach beyond our expectations being only 10 to 15% lower than the 8800GT on other resolutions. The 8800GTS 320 MB doesn't allow for comfortable play in 1280 x 1024 in High Quality, and you should almost abandon the idea of running this game on an 8600 GTS! http://www.tomshardware.com/2007/10/29/geforce_8800_gt/page12.html

Technically RV670 should improved over R600, which mean RV670 should perform closer to GF8800GT under Crysis demo. [Except @ 1920x1440 AA4X :( ]

Wasnt that attributed to bug in 8800 mem management?

If it is then it should have been fixed months ago, unless you're talking about a Crysis-specific bug here. Even then, given NV's hand in Crysis' development, I would expect NV cards to outperform their ATi counterparts.

Oldish rumor but didnt see it posted here, naming convention for the complete 3000 series

- RV670 → HD 2950 XT → HD 3870
- RV670 → HD 2950 Pro → HD 3850
- RV670 → HD 2950 GT → HD 3830 (CJ confirmed this sku)
- RV635 → HD 2650 XT → HD 3570
- RV635 → HD 2650 Pro → HD 3550
- RV620 → HD 2450 XT → HD 3370
- RV620 → HD 2450 Pro → HD 3350

And SSXeon from Rage3d posted this in regards to the AA resolve in RV670:

edit; << Dont worry, already bunked >>

I am not sure if he even has the card, so feel free to bunk all this. :devilish:

We shall see how large the payoff might be. Too much is up in the air, and AMD has said little of substance about actual product or the necessary software and tool support needed.

There is no physical constraint that keeps competitors from going down the same path, and one large competitor is likely privately doing the same thing.

AMD is in a precarious situation, but the market isn't a zero sum game as it's growing and peak performance isn't necessary to achieve a profitable slice of the market.

Also AMD has always had very good technology, none of its processors (well 'cept maybe the k5) were so lacklustre than anyone but forum nerds would be able to tell the difference. I consider anyone that makes a pretty bug-free CPU within 30% of Intel's performance in very good shape. If performance were the underlying problem, Intel should have been hurting when they were selling P4's and they weren't.

Companies need to be able to deliver enough of their product to fulfill demand which had been AMD's real problem for a while. Reputation also matters and AMD has much more now that it's delivered its Opteron and Hypertransport platform for mission critical server envioronments.

I think the general direction in which it's pointing is where the industry seems to be headed, and AMD has a bit of a headstart since Intel will only be adopting an Opteron like platform late next year w/ GPU integration as an afterthought. It will hopefully execute on time and return to profitability because the thought of having to return to the days of buying a 1000 dollar CPU w/ little choice but Intel is too horrible to imagine.

Oh yeah, to keep on topic, yay for the return of the GeForce 4 Ti4200 class part w/ the RV670 and the 8800 GT. I think CPUs are eventually going to be relevant to this forum since the GPUs we buy in the next decade will prolly be integrated w/ one and not only on die but on the instruction level.

They're doin' it wrong :D

edit: above is a Stetson-Harrison benchmark (where the scores and the graph scale is decided on drawing numbers from a "stetson" hat. the word Harrison is meaningless, included just to confuse.)

Last edited by a moderator:
Wasnt that attributed to bug in 8800 mem management?

-OR-
Well could be Limited memory bandwidth!

If the bug is not fixed OR if their is NO bug in memory hardware.

Edit: GF8800GT GDDR3 1800MHz with ~57GB memory bandwidth could be limited @ high resolution plus AA-Enabled: But RV670XT with GDDR4 2200MHz with ~77GB memory bandwidth might have better yield @ extreme settings FPS.

Hey all. This my first post here, but have been reading the forum for the past 8 months and really appreciate the informed, mature posts that I read that are avail 90% of the time compared to maybe 20% elsewhere. Ok back to what initially compelled me to finally post :)

Im not sure I understand what the heck is going on with AMD/ATI. How can an IHV who has dominated or been close to it for so long in the past, all of a sudden loose thier competitve edge ??? I mean its not like Nvidia are from the alpha quadrant using alien technology. They both using whats avail atm so what gives ? ATi/AMD benifiting from smaller process advantage and still comes out behind???

Someone pls explain to me how an IHV that has been around for a long time, who knows the ins and outs, the doos and donts of this industry...how could they possibly screw up at the scale Im seeing atm?? I can understand small differances in performance, but not the kind Im seeing now.

I know that Rv670 is coming out in 2 weeks and that this could all change, but from what Im reading all over the net, its not likely which has pushed me to post my lil rant.

Its almost like AMD decided to disengage ATI from what it has always done well in the past and thats to push the envelope to the max, in whatever situation it faced in regards to Nvidia. It won some and lost some and when it lost, it was always by reasonable margins. Nothing like what we have seen in the last year where Nvidia has totally dominated on the performance charts.

At this point Im still hoping Amd/ATI have an ace up thier sleeve and that they really knew what they were doing with r600 like preparing it for something bigger, but dang it, my confidance is dwinddling more and more and November 15 might be the last straw.

Many will buy the GT simply because its the faster card even if its only by 10% . People tend to go with the fastest avail card within a certain price bracket + whats a few bucks more if that gives you 10% more performance

I can understand small differances in performance, but not the kind Im seeing now.
Regarding to RV670, what exactly are you seeing now, except for nicely scaled graph above? :cool:
I expect RV670 to be generally within 10% compared to 8800GT. And R680 to be within 10% comapred to "new 8800GTX".

As it has often happened in recent years, ATI's hardware supports more features (DX10.1 in this case), but it doesn't generally speed things up during the lifetime of the card. We'll see if rumors are correct and along with DX10.1 arrives a set of patches for games that doesn't currently support AA. It could be the benchmark for AMD devrel ;).

Regarding to RV670, what exactly are you seeing now, except for nicely scaled graph above? :cool:
I expect RV670 to be generally within 10% compared to 8800GT. And R680 to be within 10% comapred to "new 8800GTX".

As it has often happened in recent years, ATI's hardware supports more features (DX10.1 in this case), but it doesn't generally speed things up during the lifetime of the card. We'll see if rumors are correct and along with DX10.1 arrives a set of patches for games that doesn't currently support AA. It could be the benchmark for AMD devrel ;).

I was refering to the HD2900 mostly compared to Nvidia's offerings. I dont have a clue about RV670 vs 8800Gt except for that -/+ 10% and the DX10.1 supposed advantage:rolleyes:
....but after closely following the r600 with all its hype and end result how can I possibly even hope to see rv670 change the situation when all I hear from AMD /ATI is that the card has DX10.1 and other non performance related improvements?

after closely following the r600 with all its hype and end result how can I possibly even hope to see rv670 change the situation?
Yes, the launch and the product itself belong to some kind of hallmark. :cool:
As far as I am concerned, I don't expect the RV670 to change the situation in any way (apart from reduced power consumption and hopefully noise, OEM sales etc): NVidia continues to win benchmarks, AMD continues to win "first to implemet"-awards.

Many will buy the GT simply because its the faster card even if its only by 10% . People tend to go with the fastest avail card within a certain price bracket + whats a few bucks more if that gives you 10% more performance

While back I bought GF8600GT simply because it was best for your buck, after using for little bet, I tried using VLC-player under WinXP playing 720p and 1080P HD video clips. This card simply failed, I even tried updating drivers, it didn't solve my problem. Then I went with ATI HD 2600PRO and my problems went away.

I just don't want to give Nvidia second chance :(

Example 720p or 1080p: If you have Pro-version of Apple-QuickTime, then you will be able to save the file and open with VLC-player. http://www.videolan.org/vlc/download-windows.html
http://movies.yahoo.com/movie/18094...-qtv-s.38640169-,3128956-6800-qtv-s.38640172-

Back