So, do we know anything about RV670 yet?

Some words about rv670 in a 8800gt review is not enough, easier things can generate much more hype. (i not mean the IHV's own test slides what is always full with BS).

And how much hype did nVidia create before 8800GT? or G80 for that matter? Really, 99% of the hype is created by forum users, and only affects forum users

There is no "silence" that is "killing" any customers.

"The one potential fly in the ointment for the 8800 GT is its upcoming competition from AMD. As we were preparing this review, the folks from AMD contacted us to let us know that the RV670 GPU is coming soon, and that they expect it to bring big increases in performance and power efficiency along with it. In fact, the AMD folks sound downright confident they'll have the best offering at this price point when the dust settles, and they point to several firsts they'll be offering as evidence."

Problem is that AMD made all these kind of noises time and time again when it came to the delayed R600 launch not so long ago. It would be nice if they could give us something more than AMD saying "it'll be really good, honest", because last time that didn't work out so well.

AMD needs to step up to the plate better than they did the last time in order to regain some of their battered credibility.

Something to note down, is that analyst Freedman has down graded Nvidia stock to "sell" recommendation becuase of RV670.

http://www.extremetech.com/article2/0,1558,2208222,00.asp?kc=ETRSS02129TX1K0000532

Freedman's note actually downgraded Nvidia to a "Sell" recommendation, in part because Freedman wrote that Nvidia's habit of executing almost perfectly was coming to an end, in part because of the expected success of the RV670. In a brief interview, Freedman declined to give his exact sources of information, but confirmed that they came from briefings by the company.

Problem is that AMD made all these kind of noises time and time again when it came to the delayed R600 launch not so long ago. It would be nice if they could give us something more than AMD saying "it'll be really good, honest", because last time that didn't work out so well.

AMD needs to step up to the plate better than they did the last time in order to regain some of their battered credibility.

Would it really be better if there were more leaked documents, statements from AMD saying how the RV670 will be all the things the R600 weren't and how the 8800GT will be smoked away?

I'd rather they'd wait to "step up to the platter" until the launch, when we can get all the info instead of getting unsubstantiated numbers and outrages claims beforehand...

I'd rather they'd wait to "step up to the platter" until the launch, when we can get all the info instead of getting unsubstantiated numbers and outrages claims beforehand...

I'm guessing the following makes you feel uncomfortable then...?

In fact, the AMD folks sound downright confident they'll have the best offering at this price point when the dust settles, and they point to several firsts they'll be offering as evidence.

I'm guessing the following makes you feel uncomfortable then...?

It depends on how it's done. Saying you're confident about your own products is one thing, but leaking slides and numbers from unverifiable tests only weakens their credibility...

This doesn't mean I don't like the speculations and tidbits appearing, but I'd feel better if daamit would manage to keep things under wraps until the launch.

Would it really be better if there were more leaked documents, statements from AMD saying how the RV670 will be all the things the R600 weren't and how the 8800GT will be smoked away?

I'd rather they pull the launch forwards (even if they still ship a couple of weeks later) and run a spoiler against Nvidia's launch. Give out specs, benchmarks, prices, crow about OEM successes.

At this point a couple of weeks makes no difference, but getting your voice heard and your product publicised does.

For example?

I already write one example, a single retail box picture can generate more hype than that conclusion in a review (BZB (sorry your nickname too long :smile:) has a great point here about ATi official suggestion) why? because 20+ site write about it and its just a single picture, card name its not a huge secret anymore 17 days before launch.

Moving the launch forward would please me to no end, as it'd make it easier for me to make up my mind what I should upgrade to.

I though your comments were directed towards wanting more leaks, not bringing the launch forwards.. My mistake.

Perhaps he knows something about OEM deals. Ratings like that are rarely based on performance numbers alone. /shrug

I've seen a few analysts asking where Nvidia is going to go in the next few years. They are going to have their lunch eaten by AMD on one side and Intel on the other, both offering chipsets, GPUs and CPUs, with economies of scale and complete platform discounts.

Sure, Nvidia may do well in the retail market, but OEMs are where the money is, and Nvidia just can't offer the complete platforms that AMD and Intel are moving towards. Nvidia are going to get stuck in the middle, and everyone wonders how they will get out of between that rock and a hard place.

I've seen a few analysts asking where Nvidia is going to go in the next few years. They are going to have their lunch eaten by AMD on one side and Intel on the other, both offering chipsets, GPUs and CPUs, with economies of scale and complete platform discounts.

Sure, Nvidia may do well in the retail market, but OEMs are where the money is, and Nvidia just can't offer the complete platforms that AMD and Intel are moving towards. Nvidia are going to get stuck in the middle, and everyone wonders how they will get out of between that rock and a hard place.

I've have seen many analysts ask about AMD and where its going to be in the next year, not even a few years. Analysts are a dime a dozen, and the market only goes by best performance/price/cost, and AMD doesn't have that with Barcelona, nor will they have that with K11. nV only has to worry about the ATi division, Intel will take care of AMD.

I've have seen many analysts ask about AMD and where its going to be in the next year, not even a few years. Analysts are a dime a dozen, and the market only goes by best performance/price/cost, and AMD doesn't have that with Barcelona, nor will they have that with K11. nV only has to worry about the ATi division, Intel will take care of AMD.

AMD has consistently offered very competetive price performance parts since the days of the K6, and since 2003 has had a much more sophisticated platform than Intel's FSB based fare.

And although AMD is smaller than either nVidia or Intel in graphics and CPUs respectively, it has more diverse assets than either competitor. Integration of components has always been what's made costs low and performance high. It's never changed since transistors got replaced by integrated circuits, new functions might be added from time to time but they are inevitably integrated into a single silicon package

AMD is in a good position to capitalize on this fact. So looking at it the otherway, on the nVidia side nVidia won't have a prayer in terms of CPU design once graphics integration takes off; and on the Intel side, AMD's ATI assets outclass Intel's graphics division by quite a bit. AMD's ultimate plans for integration are also much grander and unifying than Intel's currently announced plans to glue a graphics processor onto Nehalem; AMD ultimately plans on having instruction level GPU integration. Fusion will also benefit from AMD's more mature and robust bus interface. Hypertransport has been on the market for years and is open and CSI won't appear until 2009 and will likely require a license.

Despite its hiccups now, AMD's foresight in terms of CPU/GPU integration roadmap will pay off handsomely in time.

I highly suggest to you read this...

http://www.fool.com/investing/general/2007/10/25/this-just-in-upgrades-and-downgrades.aspx

Their is alot of merit in Freedmans analyst. AmTech downgrades NV stock as well claiming NV's growth has peaked several months ago and is in a down turn. Freeman a dime in the dozen?

More anaylst down grade NV stock.

Including...

-Lehman chip analyst Tim Luke-

gradually reorganized ATI [a unit of Advanced Micro Devices’ (AMD)] re-engages the market place, as as Intel (INTC) begins to seek a broader role int he graphics market.”

-CRT Capital Group’s Ashok Kumar-

wrote this morning that he believes ATI captured about 3 percentage points of market share from Nvidia in the third quarter....like a Hollywood movie plot, with ATI playing the down-and-out, at some point the stars favor the underdog. The tide may have turned for ATI in the September quarter.” His advice to investors: “We would not use weakness in NVDA to initiate or add to positions.”

During the past five days, Nvidia has saved off 14%.

Last edited by a moderator:
http://www.xbitlabs.com/news/video/display/20071029062106.html

I trust JPR more than any of those you've just mentioned...
Add the fact that Nvidia now has a considerable shot in the Intel IGP market (from basically zero just a few weeks ago) with MCP73, and i'd say they will probably increase their market share even further.
This slide tells us how important MCP73 is to the company, even when compared to their current AMD market:

Last edited by a moderator:
88vs670sea5.jpg

http://www.expreview.com/news/hard/2007-10-30/1193719352d6668.html

From FUD-presentation I expect higher wins, so RV670 maybe will goes better than expected. ;)

Back