New MGS4 trailer at Sony Keynote (July 11th)

• Thread starter Deleted member 7537
  • Start date
This MGS headset is more sexy though: ^_^

23hwokl.jpg

Now imagine the PS Eye VR kit on this thing with MGS4.

The headset has 7.1 channel audio !:cool:

and the GunMetal ps3 are sold out already ! :oops:

Put in my pre-order yesterday just in case Sony couldn't fulfill the number of BD-50 discs. I only played MGS: Twin Snake on GameCube :)

I am seriously thinking about getting that headset also.

The box plugs in via USB I assume?
Nope, the specs list "2 x Optical input and 1 x Analog input." So if you were wondering how can accept a 7.1 input, it doesn't.

Also note "40mm CCAW drivers unit." So there is obviously only one driver over each ear as well. Granted, I'd rather have a good set of stereo headphones even without surround sound mixing than any of the multi-driver headsets I've come across. Howerver, the "7.1" claim is obviously just referring to the mixing, and claiming 7.1 seems rather far fetched when the device doesn't even support 7.1 input, let alone have enough drivers to output that many channels individually.

AFAIK there are audio magic boxes (Dolby Headphone) that process individual channels into a stereo signal that matches the stereo input of the human audio equipment. Dunno that they handle 7.1, but then I've also heard 7.1 is just 5.1 stretched around a bit. As you can see I'm a true expert on AV stuff :yep2:

How can those headphones possibly be >$300. And with only 40mm drivers???? And 7.1 for headphones?

This is a April Fools joke right?

Because it looks great, comfortable for long hour use, and is wireless with 10 hour battery life ? :)

My PS3 is sitting in a cluttered workspace. There are gazillion cables and equipments here and any reduction in cables/wires is a plus for me.

The 7.1 virtual channel technology is interesting, but I won't know how well it works until I try it. Didn't even realize it's a Sony product. Thanks for the link !

Sony MDR-DS7000 included a surround processor DP-RF7000 and a wireless headphones MDR-RF7000. It is a 2.4GHz 7.1 channels digital surround system. IT is also equipped with the VPT "Virtualphones Technology" from Sony to produce 7.1 channels from a 5.1 channel sound source. The wireless technology gives you the freedom to move around in a distance of 30m (95feet) from the processor. The MDR-DS7000 enables an easy connection to your home audio system, TV, PC, DVD player or VCR. Hear the difference. Available in Black color only.

Because it looks great, comfortable for long hour use, and is wireless with 10 hour battery life ? :)

My PS3 is sitting in a cluttered workspace. There are gazillion cables and equipments here and any reduction in cables/wires is a plus for me.

The 7.1 virtual channel technology is interesting, but I won't know how well it works until I try it. Didn't even realize it's a Sony product. Thanks for the link !

To each their own. If you are ready to spend that much for a set of headphones, when you can get ones half the price, that sound better with a single wire, more power to you.

7.1 in a room, where you can hear the spatial difference of the speakers surrounding you is one thing, believing you will notice a discernible difference in your headphones is another.

We are talking almost the full price of the PS3 alone. For headphones!!!

You would most likely be more prone to outside interference with the other 2.4 ghz devices in your residence then any sound quality difference they claim to make.

Your $$ though!

No... I agree 300 is steep. There is a reason why it's not sold out yet. But it's still tempting. Knowing that it's a Sony product is helpful though. It means I can walk into a SonyStyle store to check it out myself.

Dunno that they handle 7.1, but then I've also heard 7.1 is just 5.1 stretched around a bit.
You can take any two or more channels and matrix them out to more; be it 5.1 to 7.1, 2.0 to 5.1, or whatever, but 7.1 certainly isn't just 5.1 stretched around a bit. Soundtracks can be created to support as many discrete channels as one likes. This headphone setup on the other hand is obviously just up mixing to 7.1 before down mixing that for stereo output to the headphones, as it doesn't have any input to accept 7.1 discrete channels to down mix from.

You can take any two or more channels and matrix them out to more; be it 5.1 to 7.1, 2.0 to 5.1, or whatever, but 7.1 certainly isn't just 5.1 stretched around a bit. Soundtracks can be created to support as many discrete channels as one likes. This headphone setup on the other hand is obviously just up mixing to 7.1 before down mixing that for stereo output to the headphones, as it doesn't have any input to accept 7.1 discrete channels to down mix from.

It claims 5.1 input source. Is that accurate ?

I hate Gamestop.

My passionate hatred for Gamestop seems only to increase as time passes. $112 for the Limited Edition with next-day shipping. Apparently, there is a "special" handling charge due to the shape of the package. My ass. I just hope Amazon gets it so I can get it from them (or someone else).

:devilish:

It claims 5.1 input source. Is that accurate ?
Sure, and 6.1 on the rare occasion you might use discrete DTS-ES content as the specs list support for that. Granted, all I know about the headphones are the specs on that page.

Circumaural headset is not so bad.

I tested a pair of video eyeglass in the San Francisco SonyStyle store before. It projected a TV screen onto the lens. Did not contract VD but I felt stupid after that. May be you have a point.

In this preview I found this screenshot:
00555418.jpg

Look there,just near mak II, a shadow on the dust particles. Is it that the shadows are being cast on the particles too !:oops: That is not volume light, AFAIK, it looks like the shadow of the adjoining geometry is falling on the particles too, and the alpha of the particles is taken into consideration too.But it seems to be happening for that particular geometry only, not for the whole building ,that is intriguing !:???:

"How are the visuals? Are there any screen tearing or frame rate drop issues? What about the animation -- did everything seem fluid?

Animation of everything, from Snake to the actions of the PMCs to the evasion of Gekkos and FROG soldiers are incredibly fluid and slick. For the most part, what we've seen ran at a stable 60 frames a second. There were only a few instances in which the framerate dipped for a second or two, but that was typically caused by large onscreen explosions coupled with screen effects (such as dirt being kicked up on the camera lens)."

I don't believe IGN

http://uk.ps3.ign.com/articles/864/864647p1.html

"How are the visuals? Are there any screen tearing or frame rate drop issues? What about the animation -- did everything seem fluid?

Animation of everything, from Snake to the actions of the PMCs to the evasion of Gekkos and FROG soldiers are incredibly fluid and slick. For the most part, what we've seen ran at a stable 60 frames a second. There were only a few instances in which the framerate dipped for a second or two, but that was typically caused by large onscreen explosions coupled with screen effects (such as dirt being kicked up on the camera lens)."

I don't believe IGN

http://uk.ps3.ign.com/articles/864/864647p1.html

From the looks of it that seems to be true and isn't hard to believe.

Also wouldn't be surprised at 1280x1080 resolution.

In this preview I found this screenshot:
http://img.jeuxvideo.fr/photo/00555418.jpg

Look there,just near mak II, a shadow on the dust particles. Is it that the shadows are being cast on the particles too !:oops: That is not volume light, AFAIK, it looks like the shadow of the adjoining geometry is falling on the particles too, and the alpha of the particles is taken into consideration too.But it seems to be happening for that particular geometry only, not for the whole building ,that is intriguing !:???:

I ve noticed that too but in the specific video demonstration not in the pics taken from it.

Indeed there were instances you could see shadows casted on the particles and slowly disappeared with the dust.

Back