A Couple PS1/N64-gen questions

There are a handfull[/] of PS1 games that are arguably the best-looking of the generation. Arguably. However, on the whole, I think most N64 games typically look significantly better than most PS1 games, and this is again due to the terrible image quality of PS1 titles. When I go back and play a PS1 game, the odds are pretty high that it's going to be unplayably ugly due to the warping, jittering, jagginess, and pixellation. N64 games I've played don't have these problems. Give me some low-res textures over that crud any day.

Honestly, i dont agree.

Most post 97 psone games looked better in general than most n64 games in general. I mean there where only a handfull of devs on n64 that new how to use it.

There are a handfull[/] of PS1 games that are arguably the best-looking of the generation. Arguably. However, on the whole, I think most N64 games typically look significantly better than most PS1 games, and this is again due to the terrible image quality of PS1 titles. When I go back and play a PS1 game, the odds are pretty high that it's going to be unplayably ugly due to the warping, jittering, jagginess, and pixellation. N64 games I've played don't have these problems. Give me some low-res textures over that crud any day.

that depends on what games you are bringing up as examples

I couldn't think of a PSX game that looked quite as good as the Banjo/Conker games or even the Rogue Squadron games. Really none of Playstation's 3D platformers (Crash, Spyro, Croc) were pulling off such huge 3D worlds. The N64 had quite an immense graphical edge imho. Even Medal of Honour Underground which was probably the Playstation's flagship FPS shooter wouldn't cut it when sat next to PerfectDark or TWINE in the same room.

I couldn't think of a PSX game that looked quite as good as the Banjo/Conker games or even the Rogue Squadron games. Really none of Playstation's 3D platformers (Crash, Spyro, Croc) were pulling off such huge 3D worlds.

PlayStation's Legacy of Kain: Soul Reaver had vast environments, real-time environmental morphing, and had no load times between the areas.

I forgot soul reaver..That game looks amazing.

But in general i agree that n64 is much better at draw distance and open world, and i dont think any psx 3d platformer comes close to banjo(conker looks like shit though, frame rate is horrible).

But for what games like crash bandicoot 3, does it does it better and looks better than banjo.. Perhaps its not full 3d worlds where you can go anywhere. You are basically running into the screen. But the characters and world are just so detailed and polished its simply a better looking game(in my opinion ofcourse.)

I don't think Soul Reaver looks good. I think it looks like pixellated, jittery garbage. Pixellation was par for the course in 1995 and tolerable in 1998. In 2007, my eyes can't take it anymore, and that's why I said the N64 is a better retro system. There are N64 games I can't handle, either, because 15 fps might have been OK in 1998, but it isn't today. Goldeneye borders on unplayable, as does Perfect Dark and Conker's Bad Fur Day. Graphically, I'd put F-Zero X, Excite Bike 64, Wave Race 64, World Driver Championship, and Quake 2 at the top of the N64 heap.

The Dreamcast version of Soul Reaver has held up really well. Most DC games hold up well.

Now that is just weird. Besides world drive championship.. those games are not even that good looking.

I cant understand how anyone would think f-zerox, excitebike looks better than ridge racer 4 or wipeout 3 or gt1..

A well thats what opinion is i guess.

btw isnt soul reaver dc a straight port?.

Soul Reaer looks better to me than the majority of N64 games even as a "pixelated mess". N64 suffered in general from too much blurinness to hide the low resolution image and textures. That was annoying as hell. I sometimes apart from a few exceptions couldnt make out what was going on screen just from the blurry image. I mean....it didnt just blur the textures. It sometimes overblurred polygon edges.

I play lots of very good looking PS1 games to this day and they are visually at a very acceptable level and I d prefer these games over many of the N64's good looking titles. Now if you take the typical PS1 games they are bleh. But these werent the games that made the PS1 so much better looking in general than the N64.

edit: I am also impressed by the more detail visuals on the PS1 in general. Emulated PS1 games on PC's would often look much detailed than the emulated N64 games (mods not included).

I fully agree with nesh.

Another thing about n64.. is the horrible pq. And im not talking about aa and such but the cables you can connect to the tv. Ive tried svhs but i barely looks better than composite. Psx on the otherhand supports rgb-cable.

And yea psx benefits greatly from emulation. Games like final fantasy 9 and chrono cross look jaw dropping.

cWwUMbujR.jpg

VdGUWbxtY.jpg

And yea psx benefits greatly from emulation. Games like final fantasy 9 and chrono cross look jaw dropping.
It's too bad that it only looks gorgeous in still images, it all breaks when things start moving becouse of the lack of sub pixel accuracy.
Vertexes can only reside in the grid of original resolution and thus additional resolution doesn't help as much as one would think.
In resolution like 1080p the smallest possible triangle still covers an area of 12 pixels, if original resolution on ps1 is 320x240.

I count lack of subpixel accuracy as a biggest sin of ps1 hardware which caused most of the visual problems in comparison to ps2.

Hehehe, you want to talk about what looks nice due to emulation?

641tezrbn1.jpg

5z69fo4qs9.jpg

Remember Mario 64?

attachmentak0.png

attachmentox5.jpg

Remember when Wave Race 64 first showed off Cel-shading on the N64? I know I did.

attachmentle9.jpg

VdGUWbxtY.jpg

Oh god I hated that thing so much, ugh... best optional boss ever - they actually made him ridiculously hard to kill, lol.

I use my Gamecube S-video cable for my N64. RGB means nothing to me here in the USA. And I don't play emulated anything. As I said before, cartridges ended up making N64 a much better buy for me. I've found that the odds of an 8-year-old cart working are much higher than an 8-year-old CD.

For some reason, outside of Goldeneye, I just don't find N64 games to be unreasonably or unplayably blurry. I've avoided most of the "crap" games. I really wish that Acclaim had cooked Turok 2 an extra few months to stabilize the framerate, as that game looks better than almost any other game of the era when it's running well. Which isn't all that often.

I may try the overclocking mod here and see what that does:
http://www.gamesx.com/misctech/n64oc.htm

It's not like N64s are expensive.

I tried that mod :)

Unfortunately it made games run faster than normal. Not just smoother. There are some youtube videos of it, btw. There is a possibility that it may work with some games better than others.

I tried that mod :)

Unfortunately it made games run faster than normal. Not just smoother. There are some youtube videos of it, btw. There is a possibility that it may work with some games better than others.

Well, that's no good. There's a separate GPU, right? I wonder if that can be oc'd.

Back